Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 in Fort Worth

pcgeek

I'm new to railfanning and stumbled upon a similar thread from 2021, but I'd love to get some updated information.
The Big Boy 4014 is scheduled to depart from West, TX and arrive in Fort Worth on 10/10, according to UP's schedule.
I have already programed these 4 frequencies into my BC125AT. Are there any other frequencies that I should be monitoring as well?
Since my BC125AT is an analog scanner, will I be missing out on any important communications?
Thanks in advance!

N5TWB

UP 4014 comes to NE Oklahoma Monday, 10/14. The last visit I was listening to the road channels for that subdivision but heard nothing. Any suggestions on better ways to listen?

KC5AKB

The hams here on a couple of repeaters we’re talking about it. A friend also told me what time it would arrive. It was early.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
UP 4014 comes to NE Oklahoma Monday, 10/14. The last visit I was listening to the road channels for that subdivision but heard nothing. Any suggestions on better ways to listen?
They do use the road channels, but previous experience is that they are typically running on a specific schedule in CTC territory and not running on track warrants, so you don't hear them unless there's an issue that the train has to stop (or the occasional trackside detectors going off for a hot bearing from the steam blow off) which will cause a report into the dispatcher.

I've also heard them be called by the dispatcher if they're behind schedule, so the dispatcher can try to keep other trains moving without causing unnecessary delays to the 4014.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When they were on the Villa Grove Sub in Illinois, the dispatcher talked to the train quite a bit. The train made a few stops along the way and met some trains in the double-track part of the line, so there was radio chatter about that. Also, there was some radio chatter between the engine crew and the tool car.

Make sure you are listening to the road and dispatcher channels for whatever territory the train is in. As with all rail monitoring, having a decent antenna is important. A handheld radio with a rubber duck antenna inside a building or vehicle will yield poor results.

N5TWB

When they were on the Villa Grove Sub in Illinois, the dispatcher talked to the train quite a bit. The train made a few stops along the way and met some trains in the double-track part of the line, so there was radio chatter about that. Also, there was some radio chatter between the engine crew and the tool car.

Make sure you are listening to the road and dispatcher channels for whatever territory the train is in. As with all rail monitoring, having a decent antenna is important. A handheld radio with a rubber duck antenna inside a building or vehicle will yield poor results.
I was using an old RS-95 connected to an NMO-mount monitor antenna on the roof of my SUV. It’s fed through a Stridsberg MCU-4.