UniTruner Crashes naming EDACS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
When I try to name a 900mhz EDACS system Unitrunker Crashes...Any suggestions/needed info?

SCPD

QRT
UniTrunker Crashes naming EDACS System

Yeah ... post the exact keystrokes used.

Is this consistent? Sometimes? one-time only?

-rick

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
From the main menu while monitoring a EDACS96 system I press; insert, Site, type in Label info, press save and get following error "Uniform.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program

An error log has been created"

SCPD

QRT
ocscan said:
From the main menu while monitoring a EDACS96 system I press; insert, Site, type in Label info, press save and get following error "Uniform.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program An error log has been created"

Got it ... I'll check this out.
-rick

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Mine did it also. Edit the .sys file in notepad and type the name in between the "".
Example:
1,"EDACS96",0,0,0,0x000000,"Hampton VA",20061004141248,20061004141248,0,""

Don't know what the last two quotes are for.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Frank!
fmon said:
Mine did it also. Edit the .sys file in notepad and type the name in between the "".
Example:
1,"EDACS96",0,0,0,0x000000,"Hampton VA",20061004141248,20061004141248,0,""
According to the keystrokes, ocscan was trying to edit the site label, not the system (although for EDACS systems the distinction between the two is almost non-existent). Editing either the SIT or SYS file as you described will place a label on the top row of the screen. Editing the SYS file will place the label next to the system id. Editing the SIT file will place the label next to the site #.
fmon said:
Don't know what the last two quotes are for.
The last two quotes are the notes field. You can place random comments there. Just about everything that can be edited has a notes field - channels, talkgroups, radio ids, sites and systems.

Of course, you shouldn't have to use notepad to edit this! This will be fixed in the next yet to be released public beta.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
I love the notes field...as I listen to many systems around north america, this field is invaluable. Thanks for the excellent software.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
rfmobile said:
Hi Frank!

According to the keystrokes, ocscan was trying to edit the site label, not the system (although for EDACS systems the distinction between the two is almost non-existent). Editing either the SIT or SYS file as you described will place a label on the top row of the screen. Editing the SYS file will place the label next to the system id. Editing the SIT file will place the label next to the site #.

The last two quotes are the notes field. You can place random comments there. Just about everything that can be edited has a notes field - channels, talkgroups, radio ids, sites and systems.

Of course, you shouldn't have to use notepad to edit this! This will be fixed in the next yet to be released public beta.
Rick,
Still learning, thanks for the clarity.

ocscan said:
Thanks for the excellent software.
Agreed, great program.

tyytor

EDACS System

sorry i do not have the same problem but will use this i guess,
i have used the third bata for some time with good results on a 800 mhz mot typeIIi and
a vhf mot system and all i had to do was change the normal and invert to switch between the systems,
i also have the opertunity to monitor a edacs 4800 wide system,this one will not work at all no matter how i adjust the settings i have tried them all, same tapped radio and same computer
any ideas, other than that it works like a charm, thank you all for you hard work,
TIA

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
tyytor said:
i also have the opertunity to monitor a edacs 4800 wide system,this one will not work at all no matter how i adjust the settings i have tried them all, same tapped radio and same computer any ideas, other than that it works like a charm, thank you all for you hard work, TIA
If your system works with a Motorola system - it should work just fine. Polarity will be the same for Motorola vs. EDACS inside the same band.

Which EDACS system is this?

Try running Uniscope or one of the other oscilloscope programs to get a visual picture of your signal when tuned to an EDACS control channel.

-rick

tyytor

EDACS System

hi, thanks for the advise i think that unitrunker does not like this site,
when i run uniscope it wall looks the same, i live 3-5 miles from all three sites so signal is not a problem the next edacs site is site not that far away i will try that site and see if it will decode,

SCPD

QRT
tyytor said:
hi, thanks for the advise i think that unitrunker does not like this site,
when i run uniscope it wall looks the same.
Looks the same as ... ??? Sorry Ty ... you'll have to be more specific.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Try this:

Tune your radio to Motorola control chanel.
Connect radio's discriminator audio to the computer's sound input.
Run Uniscope.
Set the signal input to Default input.
Set the sample rate to 44100.
Set the symbol rate to 3600.
Set the symbol type to Pulse.
Click the Run button.

Do you see anything (other than a flat line) ? If not, check your cables / connections.

Still no luck? Press "Stop" button and change the signal input to one of the other choices. Press "Run" and try again. Once you've got a live signal ...

Use Alt-PrtSc to take a screenshot of the program.
Run MS-Paint and paste the image there.
Save the image as PNG or JPEG.

You can post the image here or email directly to me. Since Motorola signals were working for you ... that gives us a working reference of what your signal looks like when working.

To obtain a screenshot for an EDACS signal - repeat the above steps with the following changes. Use a symbol rate of 4800 for EDACS narrow vs. 9600 for EDACS standard. Everything else should be the same.

By looking at both sets of images ... we may be able to diagnose the problem (or at least eliminate some possibilities).

tyytor

Crashes naming EDACS System

i had to take a picture of it the first one is a 800 moto system 3600

Attachments

• Dsc02091.jpg
    Dsc02091.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 132

tyytor

here is a picture of the EDACS signal i know the picures are not that great any help TIA

Attachments

• Dsc02097.jpg
    Dsc02097.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ty;

Awesome; I greatly appreciate your effort. Here's a way to get a screenshot without using a camera.

Locate the "PrtSc" button on your keyboard. It is usually located on the top right towards the right. Pressing this key places a "picture" of your desktop on the clipboard. If you run a program like MS-Paint, and select "Paste" (under the Edit menu) - the previous screen's image will appear as an image inside the MS-Paint window. From there you can save the image as a file. You can save the file as BMP (large files). JPEG or GIF (smaller files but fuzzy), or PNG (small but no distortion from image compression).

If you want to get a screen shot of a single program window - and not the entire Windows desktop - use the Alt key together with the PrtSc key.

When posting images to a forum or over email - I suggest the PNG format. The files are small in size without loss of detail like some JPEG or GIF images.

Meanwhile I'll see what I can figure out from these images you've posted here.

-rick

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hi Ty;

Looking at these two images ... and thinking out loud. I'm wondering why the amplitude on the EDACS signal is much higher than the Motorola image. Is this the same radio / computer on both? The EDACS signal may be a little on the "hot" side.

If you can, try turning the input volume down a bit. Thay may help.

For Motorola signals - what sort of decode rate do you see?

-rick

tyytor

on the moto system i get 100% on the one pictured and 85-100 on one that is not pictured
all theee system are with in 20 miles of me so there is not a scanner signal problem i also
use the same scanner on the ones pictured the moto and the edacs i turned down the inputs but that did not seem to make a difference TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.