Unpro-2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylan

Feed Provider
I had a pro 96 and loved it so I got 2 more and loved them... then a couple months ago when they were on sale I got a 2096 online and the L.C.display went out on it last week... after resetting the power (unplugging) it worked fine .........
Today when I got home from work it was out again and now it wont reset... Is this a chronic problem with these units or what?

I attempted a search before posting this but the only thing of any benefit I found was a thread from earlier this year...
(Getting Scanner Parts- Radio Shack PRO-2096: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92189)
It talked about replacement LCD from RSU online but I wouldn't know what to do with that part if I did get it....

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do here or If I will just get the runaround 'cause this radio is practically useless without a display.... I mean it should definitely be covered by warranty still ...?

n2mdk

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Get it fixed...

I believe the RS radios come with a 1 year warranty. The 2096 occassionally suffered the same LCD display problem as the 2055, but not nearly as much, from the other posts I've read. Let RS fix/replace your new rig. If you don't care for the warranty, it usually is an easy fix if you crack the radio open yourself. I've fixed 5 or 6 2055's and they all work like charms. JM$.02.

Mylan

Feed Provider
Well I just suffered through 352 posts on the 2055 thread and the last post-yours- has a link: http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=3837 that wants me to be logged in or something......
My question is this:
are the internals the same on the two models so if I follow the instructions for the 2055 fix will it work on the 2096... I bought my radio from RS.com and it has been less than a year but I don't really want to hassle with a return and wait if it would be a simple fix.

Also, I see some talk of a fade away on the LCD. Both times my 2096 has gone out, it has been while I was away and when I returned the screen was only backlit... I cannot get any display at all period.

n2mdk

The same instruction are located on here as well. There is a discussion on this site as to whether or not that fix really works

Status
Not open for further replies.