UofM Trunked system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Basically, what is the difference between UofM DPSS on MPSCS versus DPSS on the UofM trunk system?

Can someone point me in the direction for the info, or thread- I searched for a minute as I thought this was discussed before but I can't find it.

depster00

Not sure your question is clear enough. Basically, UofM DPSS is transitioning from their own campus wide radio system to the statewide system. Rather than maintaining their own system they pay a fee to use state maintained radio towers.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
The way I understood it UofM just built a new trunk system of their own so why build a new system if they intend to migrate to MPSCS, and on that new system you have DPSS talk groups and even UofM Safeflight talk groups, but likewise, MPSCS has DPSS talk groups and safeflight talk groups. Does their traffic get sent out across both systems? Are there circumstances where they use one versus the other? Will eventually the TG's get phased out on one system or the other?

depster00

Ok looking at this a little further. It appears the new UofM system is a P25 trunked system too (University of Michigan (P25) Trunking System, Ann Arbor, Michigan). My guess is that MPSCS and UofM have their systems patched/linked on certain talkgroups. Ex: If MSP were to need to communicate they would use the MPSCS talkgroup which would be rebroadcast on the local UofM talkgroup.

@KD8FSJ - do you have any insight on how/if the systems are interconnected?

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the public safety is patched together between the systems. I'm not sure I've ever heard an AAPD car go direct with UofM on their channel. If an incident were to happen, I would probably also monitor the Washtenaw INTEROPS. DPS and Survival Flight can be heard on both systems. UofM Hospital HEMS systems are on the MPSCS (Don't forget 82HEMS6). UofM maintenance/operations teams all stay on the UofM System. So far all events public safety traffic for big games have stayed on the MPSCS. Games support teams are using the UofM Athletics DMR system.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
UM's radio system focuses on operation inside and near their buildings, which is why it is programmed into Washtenaw County radios. (When lacking a reliable connectivity to an MPSCS site is an issue.)

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
sorry for the delay in a response-

Thank you for the replies. It does make a lot of sense and honestly it didn't even occur to me that you can patch systems. I really only noticed it because I spent some time experimenting with one of the radios, redoing my MPSCS stuff and saw what seemed to be duplicates on UofM. I tried monitoring the UofM system but I am currently optimized for one of the Washtenaw County MPSCS towers to the south, so UofM to my NW just doesn't come in well so I didn't spent a great deal of time comparing the traffic. Again, thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.