UP is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Hulcher

Weren't they listed in the older railroad scanner frequency databases as operating on a VHF low band frequency of 47.??? or somewhere around there? I know that they probably had radios to talk to the home roads too, just a wild guess on that one.

FLRAILMAN

Last I had was 43.04, 43.32, 43.44. Who knows if they still do. Looking at their equipment, maybe, because they seem to be into keeping old stuff. But you'd probably only hear it near their base, or a wreck maybe. Or maybe between the equipment low-boy guys while traveling.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
UP, BNSF, PC, NYC, EJ&E, Hulcher, I forget anybody?

Last I had was 43.04, 43.32, 43.44. Who knows if they still do. Looking at their equipment, maybe, because they seem to be into keeping old stuff. But you'd probably only hear it near their base, or a wreck maybe. Or maybe between the equipment low-boy guys while traveling.

Yes, Hulcher is still using those three frequencies under the callsign: KCT466 Based in Denton, Tx.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page

Scanner Frequencies

FLRAILMAN

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Real Man Engines, Crew Comfort? Not Here!!!

The Badest of the Bad, until the power went out.

FLRAILMAN

Attachments

• nyc227.jpg
    nyc227.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 592

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Hey AEMT, Do you remember the New York Central "Concourse Yard" at 149th Street & the Deegan just north of M.O. tower with all those box-cab electrics layed up out in the open? This was before Concourse Village created that overbuild, then if I'm correct, PC pulled up the 3rd rail & used the yard for frieght loading, then the trucks took over & PC tore that up too. Many a night on mids, I used to check my inner eyelids there. Let's see just how old you really are. Do you know the mystery of the old abandoned Putnam Division grade crossing signals that paralled the Saw Mill when it rained? This should be easy for you & HVscan.

PS: End Of The Line. (Photo: Courtesy of the Great Rail Photographer Pierce Haviland)

FLRAILMAN

Unfortunately, in my youth, railroads were becoming the scourge of America. I vaguely remember Penn Central at its formation...I wasnt even in high school yet! LOL

kb2vxa

Banned
That ain't nuthin, if video was around when I got stuck at NK on the old Pennsy main now Amtrak's NEC you'd laugh so hard some of your body parts would fall off. Sorry FL, my telling the story falls short, you just had to be there.

Too bad you missed "the good old days" AEMT, today's trains ride way too well, no sense of motion. You should have been around on the Congressional Ltd. behind a GG-1 at 90mph when it was known as the Rock And Roll Railroad... but then you'd be an old fart and that's not as much fun.

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Let's talk Trains, anybody got any frequencies?

Warren, been there, done that, I enjoyed the rocking & rolling too, it was funny sitting in the rear of the coach cars watching everybody in front of you swaying in unison, like your cars rear deck bobbing head dog. When I was a young-un going back & forth from New York & Philly when I would spend summers in Willow Grove, way before it became East Compton, everytime those pullmans crossed a switch, I just knew that the GG-1 was derailing us for sure, never happened though, I remember NK was somewhere on the old non-NEC yet main line, Meadows or Oak Island, maybe Croxton?

The Pennsylvania Railroad GG1

FLRAILMAN

PS: All 3 Of These GG-1s were under the stewardship of the Mating Worms Toonerville Trolley System. Only Penn-Central Could Manage To Do This To Such Majestic Locomotives.

Attachments

• prr4879d.jpg
    prr4879d.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,380
  • prr4879dburt.jpg
    prr4879dburt.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 561
  • PRR_4927_at_IRM.jpg
    PRR_4927_at_IRM.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
NK Tower is just west of Newark Penn. If you think that's bad I didn't have the heart to photograph the dead line in the South Amboy engine yard.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
The Shame & Self Destruction Of PC & CR Rises From The Ashes Like The Phoenix

Isn't South Amboy On The North Jersey Coast Line That Uses 161.44 MHz (AAR #86)?

FLRAILMAN

stutch13

It's been an interesting winter for sure.. Saturday I heard communication by an engineer stating that the second unit (engine) was on fire.. The local dispatch must have been the "B" team guy because he asked "what do you want to do then?" I think my answer would have been ummm PUNT.. Anyway they got the fire department from the town east of here to help put it out.. I live in a part of Nebraska where we have the UPRR mainline going by here at about three trains in each direction per hour (at least) and to the west just twenty miles we have a BNSF line that mostly has the coal trains on it and is a single line with sidings every twenty miles or so, and that's interesting to listen to. When they put a train in a siding and wait for a north bound or several south bounds to go by. I can hear the UP track detector somewhere near the house here and every now and then we hear "integrity failure" which makes you wonder what happened there.. Mostly the integrity failures happen regularly when it rains heavily or when the weather is in flux.. You can tell if it is the train or the detector that is messed up.. Sometimes there will be a long line of trains that have that call out to them and sometimes there might just be one then none the rest of the day.. And I have heard broken track here & there almost daily since Christmas, it seams anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.