Update Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

markbart

oh.. and Uniden.. I just dumped $1200 dollars on a couple new commercial radios.. if your product did what was promised I might have bought a couple more 536 instead..

and for the flagmen out there.. (I realize the commercial stuff can't stream or fill the siren app need.. but at least I know the product will do EXACTLY what it says it will)

It must be nice to be able to spend that kind of money.LOL

VE3RADIO

It must be nice to be able to spend that kind of money.LOL

I have a lot of money invested in radio and scanner equipment so that is why I am so passionate about getting what I pay for. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on Uniden products.. I have pictures to prove it as well.. and to be treated like excrement by Paul pointing me to a thread that he knew damn well I had read really made me angry to the point where I will never buy another Uniden product... ever again.. if it means I need to spend 1500 on an APX from Moto.. then I will spend the 1500.. because I know for a fact if Moto says it will do "X" then the radio will do "X" .. there is none of this wait until we feel like releasing it B.S.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Never been around development??

You see and learn things you would rather not know!

I have and you're right. It's not always a pretty or elegant process. The more vendors you have involved, the harder it is to troubleshoot and the more room there is for finger pointing.

On a project I worked on six out of 70 4G data cards couldn't get past our firewall. Between the software vendor, hardware vendor, Verizon, and our IT guys it was almost six months before we discovered the problem. These cards had a slightly different range of IP addresses and the firewall software had not been updated to let them through. Simple, but stupid and frustrating.

As frustrated as end users are, the people working on the problem are more so. I imagine Paul has had more than one sleepless night worrying about these issues.

whsbuss

I have a lot of money invested in radio and scanner equipment so that is why I am so passionate about getting what I pay for. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on Uniden products.. I have pictures to prove it as well.. and to be treated like excrement by Paul pointing me to a thread that he knew damn well I had read really made me angry to the point where I will never buy another Uniden product... ever again.. if it means I need to spend 1500 on an APX from Moto.. then I will spend the 1500.. because I know for a fact if Moto says it will do "X" then the radio will do "X" .. there is none of this wait until we feel like releasing it B.S.

You are right on! If this site had a like button you'd get the prize.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Since I had recently updated that page, I really thought you hadn't seen that latest update. It was not intended to slight you.

JamesO

Since I had recently updated that page, I really thought you hadn't seen that latest update. It was not intended to slight you.

"Recently" as in 8/1? or is there some other update?

This is part of the issue, fishing for information is a bit frustating.

VE3RADIO

No offense Paul but if you cant take the time to read post #1 then why comment half way through and then tell me you did not know i had not read your update. . The entire thread is about the Aug 1st update did not offer much of an update..

Seriously?

joeuser

The Wretched
There's more to this issue than one guy, do you guys understand that? You focus on one person because he's our face of Uniden. Constant barrages will only complicate matters & possibly the face we go get to see...

Xray

Hopefully Uniden/UPMAN will learn from this to practice what they preach:

"When is Uniden going to (fill in the blank)? Why hasn't Uniden made a scanner that (fill in the blank)? and so on"

3 " In the development process, as features are tested and refined, sometimes features are added, and sometimes features are dropped. Early announcements create a risk of "false claims" criticisms once the product is released. "
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/upman.html

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
What do you guys want a update every week? How come the new whistlers cost almost the same and dont have all the features you all complain you paid for? False claims? False advertising, class action lawsuit? Wow theres more to real life then this unless you live in the shack. Get a grip and be patient. Or just go to another brand. I wonder why Paul even comes back here. Whats the next argument? Why doesnt (insert company name) make this feature standard?

JamesO

What do you guys want a update every week? How come the new whistlers cost almost the same and dont have all the features you all complain you paid for? False claims? False advertising, class action lawsuit? Wow theres more to real life then this unless you live in the shack. Get a grip and be patient. Or just go to another brand. I wonder why Paul even comes back here. Whats the next argument? Why doesnt (insert company name) make this feature standard?

A question for you, do you own either a 436HP or 536HP? From your signature, it does not appear that you do.

So it is very easy for anyone that has not spent money on these radios to be a bit frustrated.

What do we want at this point you ask. I think we are owed a monthly status update and this is NOT an unreasonable request.

It kind of works like this, when you are on the hook for regular updates, you are more likely to take action to make some sort of progress and to understand than the end user is waiting on something.

Also I think that these "casual" forum updates need to be secondary to "official" company updates that are posted on the Uniden website along with anyone that has "registered" their 436/536 would get an automated email about the updates and/or any new firmware releases. This would be something you should expect if you "register" a product, the company has your unit model and serial number along with your contact info.

Is this asking too much, I do not think so.

Uniden is in a difficult position timing wise and should be gearing up for damage control if they do not have something to release in the next few months.

This debacle is getting pretty sad at this point and I think owners have a legitimate reason to be unhappy with how this issue is being addressed.

And lets not forget about this is not just an issue about the Siren App and network interfacing of the 536 being delayed. Both the 436 and 536 are missing the Analyze Feature that was never documented as being a late delivery and there are other firmware issues that need to still be addressed with these units.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm not against the frustration, I'm just saying getting after UPman isn't going to change anything. He has given monthly updates... I know your post wasn't to me but I am hoping we can just all remain calm with him. He is an asset here & constant barrages will serve no benefit. I think we all know - he knows...

JamesO

I'm not against the frustration, I'm just saying getting after UPman isn't going to change anything. He has given monthly updates... I know your post wasn't to me but I am hoping we can just all remain calm with him. He is an asset here & constant barrages will serve no benefit. I think we all know - he knows...

UPMan is a valuable resource, I am not taking my my frustration out on him specifically, but even Paul has said he needs to ammunition to get managements attention.

Paul or Uniden more specifically need to be a customer focused company, they do actually sell Consumer Electronics. In this case the roll out of the x36HP product has been rather rocky to say the least. There are still outstanding issues with the HP1 as well as the x96XT products that need to be sorted out and some of these issues are in the works which is VERY encouraging.

It is getting to the point that Uniden needs to look very hard and decide to commit to getting these issues resolved. Unfortunately it will come at a price both in real money and manpower.

I, along with everyone here wants to see Uniden succeed, but at the rate they are going this may in fact spiral out of control and someone at Uniden may just throw up their hands and say enough it enough and cancel some of the product line up. What Uniden probably does not understand where they are heading with network cameras and other products, these markets will quickly get saturated and the profit margins will shrink, where the scanner market is likely theirs to be had if they choose to keep it and they could even cross train and use talent from the network camera group to support the scanner products moving forward.

As usual there is a lot of misunderstanding at the top of the food chain in most companies and many times decisions are made somewhat blindly and often only on the current money/profits rather than really understanding where the market is going and what part of the market the company may actually "own" and should keep.

Again, I have nothing personal against Paul or Uniden, however, the customers are getting hung out to dry a bit and it is unclear if there is a real and long term commitment to support current and future customers of the scanner products.

Either way staying in or getting out it will be painful for everyone involve, lets just hope Uniden doubles down and commits to the scanners and their customers. I think if they do, Uniden and the scanner community be far better off in the long run.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Paul is only a small cog in a huge company. I am almost positive scanners are not the major selling points from Uniden. Paul does as best as he can. Look, I own both units. I had a rough start with them, but now they do what I want them to do, ON MY MACS. JamesO has been pretty tame, so this is not directed at him. This is more directed at those who are demanding daily updates. It just ain't gonna happen, and the more crap Paul gets, the less he's going to bother coming here. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.