Updated Home Shack (yet again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

Ok, so I've made some major updates to my home shack/office, so here goes!

Under the shelf from left to right:
Kenwood TK-8180 UHF (for scanning UHF, including Delaware County Fire)
Motorola MCS-2000 Model I 800 MHz (for scanning the 800 MHz interop channels and Philly's analog fireground channels)
Kenwood TK-7180 VHF (for scanning VHF, including Montgomery County Fire rebroadcasts, marine, railroad, etc)
Radio Shack Pro-197 digital scanner (for scanning Philly Police, Montgomery County's trunked system, and sometimes Burlington County's trunked system)
Motorola CDM-750 VHF (for scanning Bucks County Fire rebroadcasts)

Top of shelf from left to right:
Wouxun dual band for misc use
Motorola Minitor 3 VHF (for monitoring Bucks Fire Dispatch and Montgomery Fire Dispatch when at work)
GRE PSR-800 (for scanning Philly Fire)
Motorola HT-750 (for scanning VHF channels while out on foot)
Motorola HT-1250 UHF (for scanning UHF channels while out on foot)

The computer monitor/TV allows me to watch TV or work on my server
To the right of the desk, under the printer is the server (a Dell Optiplex). It runs 2 scanner feeds and my security camera recording software. I also use it for radio programming.
The unit on top of the server is a DJ audio mixer used to combine all audio from the Kenwood radios, Motorola CDM-750 and PSR-800 scanner (for one of my feeds)
The Uniden 996T under the printer cart is for the other scanner feed I run (for a news service)

On the shelf above the desk (not pictured) is an FM transmitter, which broadcasts the audio from my mixer so I can monitor my radios from a Walkman or clock radio anywhere in and around my house

My antenna stand on the roof has not changed. I have thrown a couple of magnetic mount antennas onto a piece of sheet metal outside the window for misc use. I plan on relocating them onto the rooftop at some point, and plan on raising the masts on the antenna stand so the antennas are about 10 feet (or so) higher then they are currently.

Attachments

• IMG_20121229_123633_0.jpg
    IMG_20121229_123633_0.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,346
  • IMG_20121229_123743_0.jpg
    IMG_20121229_123743_0.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,465

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Looking pretty good, now are those yankee candles on the right side of the first picture?

phillydjdan

Sharp eye! The red one is unknown, it doesn't say the brand on the label, just that it's strawberry jam scented. The light blue one is a Walmart special.

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The PSR-800 is great, as long as you dont need to run it on batteries or in noisy environments. The audio quality on philly's existing trunked system and the new trunked system are both phenominal.

Colton25

Ok, so I've made some major updates to my home shack/office, so here goes!

Under the shelf from left to right:
Kenwood TK-8180 UHF (for scanning UHF, including Delaware County Fire)
Motorola MCS-2000 Model I 800 MHz (for scanning the 800 MHz interop channels and Philly's analog fireground channels)
Kenwood TK-7180 VHF (for scanning VHF, including Montgomery County Fire rebroadcasts, marine, railroad, etc)
Radio Shack Pro-197 digital scanner (for scanning Philly Police, Montgomery County's trunked system, and sometimes Burlington County's trunked system)
Motorola CDM-750 VHF (for scanning Bucks County Fire rebroadcasts)

Top of shelf from left to right:
Wouxun dual band for misc use
Motorola Minitor 3 VHF (for monitoring Bucks Fire Dispatch and Montgomery Fire Dispatch when at work)
GRE PSR-800 (for scanning Philly Fire)
Motorola HT-750 (for scanning VHF channels while out on foot)
Motorola HT-1250 UHF (for scanning UHF channels while out on foot)

The computer monitor/TV allows me to watch TV or work on my server
To the right of the desk, under the printer is the server (a Dell Optiplex). It runs 2 scanner feeds and my security camera recording software. I also use it for radio programming.
The unit on top of the server is a DJ audio mixer used to combine all audio from the Kenwood radios, Motorola CDM-750 and PSR-800 scanner (for one of my feeds)
The Uniden 996T under the printer cart is for the other scanner feed I run (for a news service)

On the shelf above the desk (not pictured) is an FM transmitter, which broadcasts the audio from my mixer so I can monitor my radios from a Walkman or clock radio anywhere in and around my house

My antenna stand on the roof has not changed. I have thrown a couple of magnetic mount antennas onto a piece of sheet metal outside the window for misc use. I plan on relocating them onto the rooftop at some point, and plan on raising the masts on the antenna stand so the antennas are about 10 feet (or so) higher then they are currently.

Very good looking setup, i have a tk-7180 and plan to use it for scanning just like you have set up. My question is where did you get your power supply? Or if you made it yourself what did you use? All i can find online are those big base station power supplies which is what i don't want, i just need a simple power supply that plugs into the wall.

phillydjdan

If you only plan on using it as a receiver, you can use any 12 volt power source that has more than 1 amp or so output. A wall wart would work. If you would ever transmit on it, you would need a real power supply. My supply was given to me, but it is pretty small (about 2 inches high, 6 inches x 6 inches). If you search sites like eBay, I'm sure you can find one.

Colton25

If you only plan on using it as a receiver, you can use any 12 volt power source that has more than 1 amp or so output. A wall wart would work. If you would ever transmit on it, you would need a real power supply. My supply was given to me, but it is pretty small (about 2 inches high, 6 inches x 6 inches). If you search sites like eBay, I'm sure you can find one.

I just don't want to burn the radio up. What do you recommend for a output power rating on the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.