Updating Your Scanner’s Database: Uniden, Whistler, Etc.

Blackswan73

I have seen many posts of people panicking when they can’t update their scanner’s database. There seems to be a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about database updates. I have read post after post about how someone’s scanner was working fine until they tried to update the database. I have seen other threads where people panic if they have no update each week. Why? What is the purpose of a database update? When do you need to update? First, as my Pappy used to tell me, “If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it! “. In other words if your scanner is working fine and you aren’t having any problems hearing what you have programmed in your scanner, then you don’t need to update it. So, when should you update your database? When a system or frequency that was working changes due to a system upgrade, which is usually made public long before it happens, or you want to program a new system. You should update your database when first getting a scanner, either new, or used. Or when moving to a new area. So, why not update each week? Several reasons:

Unnecessary wear and tear on your scanner’s USB port and SD card carriage

More chance of corrupting your SD card

You can easily check your county(counties) with any computer or smartphone on the RR database page and see if there is any database updates for your county or state.
My personal scanners haven’t had database updates for over two years. Most agencies aren’t going to new systems or frequencies each week. The cost alone of doing that would be prohibitive. So my advice is, if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.

B.S.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have read post after post about how someone’s scanner was working fine until they tried to update the database. I have seen other threads where people panic if they have no update each week. Why?
One very good reason to update weekly...

Many folks (myself included) routinely travel through many counties/states on a daily basis and rely on their scanners database connected to a GPS that automatically changes to local agencies as they drive. Keeping up with local agencies reporting bad road situations in real time is a must for a lot of folks who make their living "on the road" throughout the country. The time it would take to manually research updates in every state/county/city which would come up in an ever changing daily travel schedule wouldn't be practical, or even possible in a lot of cases. Keeping the database updated weekly is a must have for me.

Update the database ---> Write to the scanner ---> Get in the car and go.