Updating your SDR software (yea, nay, or maybe)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
How many of you follow the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I dunno about many of you, but if something is working fine, I think, why immediately and constantly update, risking an issue? Sure, it might have a few extra features (that I probably will not use), but unless there is a major security issue or feature, I sometimes feel like I have better things to do than constantly mess various software packages.

It's kind of like Windows 11, sure I "could" update, but then I'd have a half a dozen programs that no longer work properly or not at all. So until Windows 10 is retired, or I myself expire, I'm content. Am I the only one?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
It's kind of like Windows 11, sure I "could" update, but then I'd have a half a dozen programs that no longer work properly or not at all. So until Windows 10 is retired, or I myself expire, I'm content. Am I the only one?
If it were me on Windows 11 I would uninstall SDR software then reinstall SDR software outside of Program Files and Program Files (x86). For example I would start the SDRuno installer and point it to

c:\SDRuno

The installer will want to install the API then let it install as intended because the API is also a windows service. Other software like SDR-Console, or SDR++ has to see the API there. SDRuno itself can run as stated.

As for any hardware that has it's own API keep it in it's default location. The actual software itself can run in, for example, c:\Your_SDR_Software

Especially if your Windows 11 was an upgrade from 10.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%. I don't know what SDR# version (yes, noe AirSpy) I'm currently using but I'm staying with it on an old Windows 10 Home operating system Dell Inspiron computer. If I ever need to upgrade to Windows 11 I'll just buy a new computer for things like email, Word, Internet and keep the old one just for my radio hobby. Too many hassles with security upgrades on the newer Windows versions.

boatbod

I'm running OP25, but since I'm not savvy with Linux, I don't make any adjustments. I like how it works, and it runs 24/7 for months without any issues.
There are easier ways for smaller (python-only) updates, but the following should always work:
Code:
cd ~/op25
git pull
./rebuild.sh