Upgrade time - picking new / BEST Wideband Receiver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfmonger

Upgrading the RX setup...

Looking to get a new(er) computer controlled receiver & a desktop unit.
note: Don't need handhelds, Trunking or cell coverage, just good RX performance & features.

Probably getting the Icom PCR2500 for computer control & Data decoding.
(unless convinced otherwise).

I also want a main desktop unit so am looking at an Icom 8500, AOR AR-5000 or AR-8600MKiiB.
The 5000 seems like a good choice since it also does HF, but already got a dedicated radio for that band.
For a little less $$ I am looking at the 8600 or an Icom 8500.
Which of these is the best VHF/UHF + Ghz range radio for RX?
I am interested in Satellite, Weather, Data & Clandestine radio.

Antenna setup is: Diamond DJ130, AOR DS3000 & AOR SA7000.

For main SW/HF setup going to be using an Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole w/ an Icom R75.

Any suggestions or comments?

N8IAA

Upgrading the RX setup...

Looking to get a new(er) computer controlled receiver & a desktop unit.
note: Don't need handhelds, Trunking or cell coverage, just good RX performance & features.

Probably getting the Icom PCR2500 for computer control & Data decoding.
(unless convinced otherwise).

I also want a main desktop unit so am looking at an Icom 8500, AOR AR-5000 or AR-8600MKiiB.
The 5000 seems like a good choice since it also does HF, but already got a dedicated radio for that band.
For a little less $$ I am looking at the 8600 or an Icom 8500.
Which of these is the best VHF/UHF + Ghz range radio for RX?
I am interested in Satellite, Weather, Data & Clandestine radio.

Antenna setup is: Diamond DJ130, AOR DS3000 & AOR SA7000.

For main SW/HF setup going to be using an Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole w/ an Icom R75.

Any suggestions or comments?

First, I wish I had the money to spend on those two radios:))
Second, what are you looking to monitor? The 2500 can do trunking with aftermarket software. The 8500 is like a huge step up from the 2500.
Larry

Bill_White

Well, if you are going to monitor weather satellites (APT).
Forget about the IC-R8500 and the AOR8600xxx…
They don’t have a wide enough filter of 30 – 50 KHz.
For narrow shift data on HF you will find the 2.8 KHz filter of the 2500 too wide in crowded conditions but, it has a 50 KHz filter which works great for APT.
A narrow filter can be added to the 5000 AND it has a 30 KHz filter.
Since you have the money for the 5000 and seam to have your heart set on a computer driven radio, PCR2500, you might want to check out the offerings from WinRadio:
http://www.winradio.com/
Like the WR-G315E:
http://www.winradio.com/home/g315e.htm

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I have both the AOR 5000+3 and the 2500. If you are looking for vhf/uhf perfomrance, go with the 5000. I also have a SDR-14 i conect to my 5000 and it is just a incrediable combination. if you do the discimantor mod on ACC2, you should be able to use TrunkMon software to monitor trunk systems. I really enjoy my AOR 5000+3. Well worth the price.

rfmonger

Thanks for the feedback fellers. I appreciate it - I may have been swayed.

For computer based scanning, I was planning on the Icom PCR2500.
Though after revisiting the WinRadio line, the G315e does look very tempting now.
I like the fact the software seems to be very robust & there are a plethora of add-on options, meaning I probably would not need any 3rd party software to use with a WinRadio since there suite seems to do it all, I'm especially interested in the FSK/data decode plugin.

So my question now, which is the better receiver, the PCR2500 or Winradio WR-G315e ?
The 2500 has wider coverage & dual receive, that is a plus to me.
But the WR-G315e seems to make up for this in software ability & it can do the wide receive with an add on (though I probably wont need it).

For desktop, yeah I think I am leaning towards the AOR 5000.
I'd rather find one used, so it may be a while before I can locate one.

For now I need to get my new computer controlled unit picked out.
So the dilemma is now PCR2500 vs WR-G315e !

oh also, I do not need any Trunking ability, I have a Uniden to handle that.
My new radios are for finding new signals & monitoring (non-trunked) stuff.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
rfmonger
I didn’t mention that I also own a WR-G305 PE with the advance suite for a reason..... I let my opinion stop here. I would go with the 2500, especially if you are going to monitor VHF & UHF. If you are going to monitor under 50 MHz, I say go with the WinRadio.

rfmonger

I am going to use an Icom R75 for stuff under 50Mhz.

So then you think the 2500 is the better radio?

key2_altfire

So my question now, which is the better receiver, the PCR2500 or Winradio WR-G315e ?

I recently faced this question and went with the 2500 for the simple fact that it is the easier of the two to operate from battery power. The dual receive is GREAT, use it all the time.

If you don't care about battery operation the WR-G315e appears to have a better software user interface, though my only direct experience with it was playing with it in an HRO.

rfmonger

Yeah I really like the 2500, the dual RX really would come in handy for me.

I'm still trying to get a little more info on the Winradio G-315e, the software interface is what really got my eye. Seems like they have many options & add-ons that would come in handy.

If the 2500 is a better all around radio I will go for it.
I think the Winradio may be superior in the SW bands, but as mentioned I have an R75 to cover under 50Mhz.

I'm still sort of on the fence but probably leaning towards the 2500.

Anyone have a AOR AR5000 they wanna sell???

Status
Not open for further replies.