Upgrading computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbrane

I am having issues with an application error on my feed, taking it down every few hours. So, I am looking to upgrade my computer. I am not technical so I do not know the correct terms, so bare with me. I am using a plug into the headphone jack now down to the red and white RCA type jacks into the computer. If I get a new computer, especially laptop, it will not have the RCA style plugs. What is recommended to use? Suggestions much appreciated to make it an easy setup and transition.
Thanks in advance

SpectreOZ

You will require 3.5mm plugs to fit into the sound card inputs on the back of your new computer, they are identical to the type you currently plug into your scanner's earphone jack, preferably you will use the (blue color coded) line in socket over the microphone input socket.

Are you currently running a filter/ground loop isolator on your audio feed line?

All that aside this stuff is covered in the Broadcastify FAQ/DIY article found HERE

Last edited:

Eng3ineer

djbrane

You will require 3.5mm plugs to fit into the sound card inputs on the back of your new computer, they are identical to the type you currently plug into your scanner's earphone jack, preferably you will use the (blue color coded) line in socket over the microphone input socket.

Are you currently running a filter/ground loop isolator on your audio feed line?

All that aside this stuff is covered in the Broadcastify FAQ/DIY article found HERE

I apologize. I thought I subscribed to this thread but I did not, so I didn't know there were replies.
Yes, I do have a filter

djbrane

Your new computer should have USB ports, so you could also use an aftermarket sound card as well. You won't need the RCA jacks. Just need cord with double 3.5mm jack go from scanner/radio to sound card.

I like the Griffin I-Mic 2.

IMIC The Original USB Audio Adapter | eBay

Or these USB sound cards. I started with these but change over to i-mic. Lot cheaper but i've had some that caused noise.

USB External 7 1 Channel 3D Virtual Audio Sound Card Adapter PC A 229 | eBay

Do these have filters or will I have to get a filter too? I have tried no filter and I had too much noise

Rob1956

Feed Provider
I use a cheap little netbook running Windows 7 that I got on ebay. I run a cable with 3.5mm jacks on each end from the audio output on the scanner to the mic input on the netbook. I find I get better quality audio using the audio output on the back of the scanner than using the 3.5mm headphone jack on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.