UPMan can't catch a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
2,339
Reaction score
360
Location
Dyer, IN
Now I'll be the first to admit that I've done a lot of ragging on Uniden & Paul the past week or so, whether justified or not, but after seeing people rip him a new one over the lack of a "proper" charger for the HP-2 in the Home Patrol group on Yahoo, I feel for him. Uniden's complying with some silly regulation from California, and people are giving him nothing but grief.

Folks are griping they don't have a $5.00 adapter to plug into the wall for the USB cord that comes with the radio, but they have $$$ to spend on the HP-2 to begin with??? I guess some folks just want to the find the littlest things to b#$^h, gripe, complain, moan and groan about.
 

AZScanner

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,342
Reaction score
14
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Wow, that IS quite petty and ridiculous. Like they can't go pick up a spare USB cord/charger at any Wal-Mart for a few bucks? Give me a break.

Uniden always puts little extras in the box that other manufacturers don't. Ever buy a scanner from RadioShack back in the day? You got the scanner, an antenna and an owner's manual - THAT'S IT. If you wanted a wall wart, or rechargeable batteries or a vehicle mounting bracket, that was almost always sold separately. No one minded back then, so what's the big deal now? I think people these days have just become lazy, spoiled brats who want everything spoon fed to them for as little cost as possible, if not free. God forbid a company like Uniden try to make a profit. :roll:

If Paul's ever in Phoenix, I'm gonna buy him a beer at least, if not a full steak dinner for all the hard work and utter BS he's had to put up with of late. I can't believe the way he's being treated after everything he's done for the hobby - it's downright shameful.

-AZ
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
What I can't believe (well, maybe I can) is that there are those who contend that Uniden should have broken the law rather than make them spend a couple bucks on an adapter that they likely have laying around anyway.

When these people are asked what choice THEY would have made given the options, they crawl back into the woodwork.

I, too, am astounded by the CEC and their ridiculous regulations, but faulting someone for not wanting to be taken to court is just plain insane.
 

WILSON43

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
66
Reaction score
-14
Location
Northern New Jersey
Folks are paying over 500 bucks for this HP-2 which is more a "base" unit than portable. Uniden decided to switch the charging from the system they had on the HP-1 that worked just fine, to this new use of USB power systems that everyone seems to be rushing to adopt. For 500 bucks a customer should be able to at least power up the unit without a hassle, don't you think? I don't know the exact margins, but I have no doubt Uniden is making a profit on these items or.....they would stop making them and stick to cordless phones! No tears for Uniden here my friend.

As for Paul I will play the Devil's advocate here, and with all due respect, just what has he done for the hobby pray tell? Once again, he is being treated accordingly as a result of a position he decided to take here on RR as a paid employee of Uniden Corp. He is not here as a hobbyist, it's his JOB.

And as I stated in another thread, when things go well, his life goes well. When they do not, as they have not recently, he takes the heat. He is a CUSTOMER SERVICE REP here on RR, no more and no less. And again, with all due respect he and his company could learn as lesson about that from companies like Amazon, Costco, etc.

While I fully realize the problems are not of his making, Paul is the face of Uniden here, a job he took voluntarily and is compensated for.

And for that reason, based on recent events, he should be buying all of US a beer and a steak.
 

wise871

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
3,758
Reaction score
92
Location
N.W. Florida
Or Uniden could do what some firearms manufactures have done, Not for sale in California, LOL I have a few Springfield Armory Cases with big stickers on the side saying that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

KE4ZNR

Radio Guru
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
7,624
Reaction score
1,616
Location
Raleigh, NC

AZScanner

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,342
Reaction score
14
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That's just it dconti - you guys DO raise some valid points about the new scanners, it's true, but it gets lost in all the noise and BS that is also constantly being posted by all the usual names who somehow must think there's still someone somewhere on Earth that doesn't already know they feel "slighted" that they didn't get their full money's worth because of some missing app or feature or whatever.

And the reason for the charging cord not being the same HAS been explained to DEATH, dude. Pretty much everyone knows and agrees that Uniden's not to blame for California's asinine laws. You really don't have an argument here, and I think by now you know it. So either you're trolling.... or you're just dense. I highly doubt the latter.

-AZ
 

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,378
Reaction score
380
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
So either you're trolling.... or you're just dense. I highly doubt the latter.

I think these guys think that if they complain loudly and long enough, that Uniden will release the app that they've been secretly holding back from the masses for weeks/months now, or that Paul Opitz will be led to their doorstep by a bailiff, sheepishly handing over a check and letting them keep their radio. Or both situations.

I can't come up with any other reason that people think it's worth continuing *****ing.
 

phask

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,825
Reaction score
689
Location
zanesville
What's that definition of Insanity?

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.




I think these guys think that if they complain loudly and long enough, that Uniden will release the app that they've been secretly holding back from the masses for weeks/months now, or that Paul Opitz will be led to their doorstep by a bailiff, sheepishly handing over a check and letting them keep their radio. Or both situations.

I can't come up with any other reason that people think it's worth continuing *****ing.
 

Dafe1er

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
817
Reaction score
20
Location
Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Or Uniden could do what some firearms manufactures have done, Not for sale in California, LOL I have a few Springfield Armory Cases with big stickers on the side saying that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% correct. They could not sell them in California. But what would those people do then???? Hmmmm maybe order it off the net like everything else they are not able to get due to Cali Law(s)....Just a thought.

I agree though, crying about a USB everyone has roughly 3-4 just laying around.....anyone get a new phone or two in the last three years? Then you have your much needed cord.....besides batteries are where it is at anyways.

Same happened with the 436 unit. I know I have it. Not something I cried over.

There are far more important things to gripe at Undone for than this.
 

WILSON43

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
66
Reaction score
-14
Location
Northern New Jersey
Well, I don't have a dog in this hunt as I am not buying an HP-2. As for the other issues, as stated in other threads I resolved my 536 issue quite satisfactorily through Amazon.

The CA issues aside, I just thought that for over 500 bucks you would think something as simple as power supply would not be enough of a problem for folks to B***h about.

That was my OPINION, however, if that qualifies as trolling then I guess I am guilty as charged.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
Uniden decided to switch the charging from the system they had on the HP-1 that worked just fine, to this new use of USB power systems that everyone seems to be rushing to adopt.

One word (model): BC346XTC

Look it up. (hint: the 'C' stands for California, and cost them a LOT of money)

Yes, the old system worked just fine. It was LEGAL to make back then. This isn't 2010 anymore, and the old system is no longer legal to sell nationwide.

Even if someone orders online, they will come after Uniden for violations.
 

K2KOH

Silent Key
Joined
Jul 30, 2001
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
159
Location
Putnam County, NY
I think these guys think that if they complain loudly and long enough, that Uniden will release the app that they've been secretly holding back from the masses for weeks/months now, or that Paul Opitz will be led to their doorstep by a bailiff, sheepishly handing over a check and letting them keep their radio. Or both situations.

I can't come up with any other reason that people think it's worth continuing *****ing.

Bailiffs don't do that...LOL
 

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,378
Reaction score
380
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Use an iPhone charger. Works on my 436!

At home, I plug my scanner into my computer; at work, into a powered USB hub that's not really plugged into anything (unless I want to read the scanner for some reason) which also charges my phone over the day as well. In the truck, I have a Duracell 4.2A (2.1A x 2) cigarette lighter to USB adapter for both my phone and the 436. The downside of this adapter is that when the phone is charging, significant RFI is introduced on the scanner.
 

XTS3000

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
1,098
Reaction score
48
Why can't Uniden just make or buy chargers that comply with California standards? Apple, Microsoft, LG, etc all include chargers and their products are sold in California. All these companies can confirm to CA laws, rules and regulations. Why has Uniden decided NOT to conform like the rest of the electronics industry?

The last 8 items I've purchased that are either powered or charged via mini or micro USB all came with a USB charger.

Yes Marshall, I've read all the PDFs on California law, and most I can agree with. Lots of it makes sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top