BCT15X: USB Cable Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I am running windows 10 on my laptop. I have two programs that I use for virtual control. I use Scancontrol and ARC XT PRO. Now, on my 996P2 I use the Uniden USB-1 cable without any problems. When I plug in the BCT15X, the laptop sees the cable, assigns it a port number but both programs refuse to see the cable or the port it has assigned to it. I have changed the port numbers and nothing. I thought maybe it was a driver issue so I updated the driver. This is what I got afterwardCapture.JPG
I am using the USB cable that came with the scanner. I don't get it.

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
The chip inside the older cable is not supported in Windows 10. You need to purchase a Uniden cable that is supported in Windows 10

chris

wscranston

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now, on my 996P2 I use the Uniden USB-1 cable without any problems.

That would be hard to believe, since the USB-1 cable is not compatible with the BCD996P2.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I thought the same thing.
What I meant to say was that I use the USB cable from the P2 ( whatever its name is ) on the laptop without a problem. But thanks to Chris, now I know the cable is not supported on windows 10.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This works for me in Windows 10 with my BCT15X:

Thank you. I'll give that one a try.

wscranston

The P2 is a true USB device, so it's (more or less) plug and play with the USB port on your laptop. The older BCT15X is an old style serial device (like the old serial mice) so it needs something to make it look like a USB device to your laptop. This is the job of the cable (which is actually more than just a cable). As has been said, sounds like the chip in the old cable is not compatible with Windows 10.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You can also use a USB to Serial adapter with the Uniden Serial cable supplied with the BCT15X. As long as the device works in your flavor of Windows it should work fine.

The USB-1 cable is basically a USB to Serial adapter wired to the Uniden serial plug, like others have said the chipset from the older units is not supported in 64-bit operating systems. Unfortunatly there is no visible difference between the older and newer versions. In the driver package at the link in fxdscon's post there is a utility to determine if the chipset is the older "A" version or newer "D" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.