BCT15X: usb cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoloff9

I have ordered and searched for a patch cable to hook up my Uniden bearcat bct 15x to the computer to download the freq. been on backorder from the factory outlet. would anyone on here know where to get one.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
You might go to ScannerMaster.com I have ordered cables from them before and recently one that will interface between my Windows 10 PC and the BCT 15x and other models. They also have the driver software on their site for that cable that you can download.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have ordered and searched for a patch cable to hook up my Uniden bearcat bct 15x to the computer to download the freq. been on backorder from the factory outlet. would anyone on here know where to get one.
The USB-1?
Indicates as in stock at ScannerMaster.

Several sellers on Amazon also indicate as in stock.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
That is the cable. It's genuine and not a Chinese imitation.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Another option for programming is to use the "GPS" interface on the back of the BCT15X. (The front port *must* be used for firmware updates.)

Something like this will do the trick:

Again, this will only work for programming and remote control, NOT for firmware updates.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wished all scanner radios went back to using RS-232 serial ports! They just worked, no drivers required. No lost, disconnected ports.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I wished all scanner radios went back to using RS-232 serial ports! They just worked, no drivers required. No lost, disconnected ports.

Many scanners still have serial ports ... but PC's don't. That cable I suggested DOES need a driver for the FTDI serial-to-USB chip that is in it. Other options use Prolific chips.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Normally if you buy a "Workstation" PC or Laptop they will have one or more serial ports. For a regular PC you buy buy a RS-232 serial port expansion card if you need some. Single & double port cards are very inexpensive. 16 port cards get expensive.

1611789156567.png

zoloff9

a417

You want them to go back to a 60 y/o standard with ports that aren't carried on modern computers due to size constraints, and well..progress?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You want them to go back to a 60 y/o standard with ports that aren't carried on modern computers due to size constraints, and well..progress?

Yes! They just work, no problems. Dell currenty still sells professional workstation PC's with serial RS232 port PCI interface cards. Professional lab and test instruments still use serial ports. There is a reason for that.

a417

Yes! They just work, no problems. Dell currenty still sells professional workstation PC's with serial RS232 port PCI interface cards. Professional lab and test instruments still use serial ports. There is a reason for that.
The reason they use them is they are now specialized niche hardware for (legacy) hardware, which some of us use every day.

I guess 'just working' meant praying that baud rate, stop bits, parity, flow control, IRQ #, DMA access, I/O Address and in some cases UART buffering settings were aligned. People freak out when they have to roll a driver back (to use their knockoff cheap wire), can you imagine what would happen if the solution was "to program your 785D , you need to use COM 3 as your mouse has occupied COM 1 - but you need to change the I/O port from 0x3E8 to 0x2E8 and make sure that your parallel port printer is powered off. Oh, your computer internally allocated COM 3 to the modem, and you can't change the IO address in the BIOS? Ok, well...unplug your mouse..." See where I'm going?

Yes, a fraction of the population has a problem with USB programming because...reasons. The rest of us see where it's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.