USB / Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
As most of us are aware, PC's haven't had a serial port for eons. Strangely, Uniden continued to use that as the method to connect to a PC
even though the U in USB is for Universal.
Anyway, be that as it may.....
Several years ago I bought a cable that converts USB to serial to connect to my 996 & 396.
It required a boatload of dicey, I think BIOS level configuration, something I don't wish to repeat as that's a good way to "brick" a PC.
Are there any newer cables like this that are plug-n-play or nearly so?
Thanx y'all.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As most of us are aware, PC's haven't had a serial port for eons. Strangely, Uniden continued to use that as the method to connect to a PC
even though the U in USB is for Universal.
Anyway, be that as it may.....
Several years ago I bought a cable that converts USB to serial to connect to my 996 & 396.
It required a boatload of dicey, I think BIOS level configuration, something I don't wish to repeat as that's a good way to "brick" a PC.
Are there any newer cables like this that are plug-n-play or nearly so?

Newer USB-Serial adapters are nearly plug and play; you'll just need to download the proper driver for the chipset used.

I recommend staying well away from devices using the Prolific chipset; there are CCC (Cheap Chinese Copy) chipsets out there which allege to be "Prolific" but actually are not, and don't always play particularly well with the official Prolific drivers.

Go with the FTDI chipset, which in my experience has been the most reliable. Do a search for "USB serial cable RS232 FTDI" on eBay and a whole bunch will pop up for reasonable prices.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
So if I do the search for what you mentioned I should only get the FTDI chipset I'd hope. Super.
Once I acquire the cable is the procedure to plug it in, wait for the PC to ask for drivers and then point it to wherever the drivers are?
Are the correct drivers usually self evident? I've had experience before where you go out to grab drivers and have a dozen choices, ugh!
(64 bit Windows 10 HP laptop)

techynyc

Just an FYI for any other RR members else checking this thread in relation to USB-Serial adapters and the different chipsets specs.
I wanted to share the following from my personal experiences with figuring out which USB to Serial adapter to use and why one chipset adapter seems to work in some instances and why the other chipset adapter may not.

Uniden 898T
the serial to USB that would works is US Converters model XS8801 - uses FTDI chipset

Uniden MR-8100 (if using DOSBox to connect a Windows 10 or higher computer)
the serial to USB that would work is a Trendnet model TU-S9 - uses Prolific chipset.

[Explanation]
The FTDI chipset adapter uses a protocol of 5 data bits whereas the Prolific chipset adapter uses the more common 8 data bits.
(For connecting to the MR-8100 ), this protocol difference means that when DOSBox starts up and tries to open the COM port specified in the DOSBox config file, it will open the port using a protocol setting of "9600, 8, n, 1" and since the FTDI chipset uses "9600, 5, n, 1" DOSBox will not be able to open the COM port.

When trying to use the FTDI chipset adapter with DOSBox you will get the following error on screen (8100 program by SK Consultants)
"Serial1: Desired serial mode not supported (9600, 5, n, 1)".

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
techynyc, thank you, I'm not sure how to relate that to my 396/996.
gtr8000, also thanx. I think the wa8pyr was just saying that prolific is just more hit-n-miss than the other choice.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I have a USB cable to program my 396XT. It's been PnP on every computer I've used. So they're out there.
Thanx. You probably don't have the Brand & other info so I could order that same cable any longer but if you do please post it. Also, can you mention the install procedure, e.g. where you got the drivers and if finding then installing the correct ones was straightforward. Some of these sites have a boatload of driver choices. UGH.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I have a USB cable to program my 396XT. It's been PnP on every computer I've used. So they're out there.
Thanx. You probably don't have the Brand & other info so I could order that same cable any longer but if you do please post it. Also, can you mention the install procedure, e.g. where you got the drivers and if finding then installing the correct ones was straightforward. Some of these sites have a boatload of driver choices. UGH.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
As most of us are aware, PC's haven't had a serial port for eons.

You can still buy used and new desktop/laptop Windows PC's with built-in RS-232 serial ports. You can also buy internal PCI serial port cards for desktop PC's, some with numerous ports.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber

It's the Uniden USB-1: Amazon.com: Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable : Electronics

It's been PnP. Whatever drivers it needed are already on the computer (Win 10). I believe in keeping thing simple.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
You can still buy used and new desktop/laptop Windows PC's with built-in RS-232 serial ports. You can also buy internal PCI serial port cards for desktop PC's, some with numerous ports.
Yep, that as well as PC's made for the point of sale market often have true serial and parallel ports.
We recently purchased several HP models that came stock with 4 serial and 2 parallel ports plus a whole mess of USB ports.
I think in this case that two of the serial and one of the parallel ports were on an HP addon card that had been installed but the others were on the mainboard.
I use some of the slightly older models the current ones replaced for radio work where true serial ports are needed or just come in handy.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden USB-1 and BCD396XT cable works ok with my Windows 7 HP laptop but does not work with my Windows 10 HP workstation. I use both Freescan and Proscan.

I purchased at Fry's Electronics (RIP) some time ago a Micro Connectors, Inc. E07-160 USB Serial Adapter. It comes with a driver CD but, Windows detected and installed the driver (Prolific) for me. Works just fine with my BCD396XT and Freescan or Proscan on a Windows 10 workstation.

Unlike the USB-1 cable which connects directly to the scanner, this adapter terminates in a DB-9 male connector. You will need Uniden's Serial Cable BWXG1616001 which is DB-9 female connector to Uniden's proprietary connector.

John

Appears to be available on Micro Connectors website.
715860019061.MAIN_copy__32696.1531349328.jpg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yep, that as well as PC's made for the point of sale market often have true serial and parallel ports.
We recently purchased several HP models that came stock with 4 serial and 2 parallel ports plus a whole mess of USB ports.
I think in this case that two of the serial and one of the parallel ports were on an HP addon card that had been installed but the others were on the mainboard.
I use some of the slightly older models the current ones replaced for radio work where true serial ports are needed or just come in handy.

I used DELL Precision Workstation desktops as well as laptops. The laptops implement serial ports via a docking station or port replicator. I know the older Uniden scanners with serial ports work so much better with true/real serial ports on the computers. They don't lose the connection with software like ProScan that people experience with USB ports.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
yup, I would like to pursue the U in Universal. Not sure what took Uniden so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.