USCG interoperability with MPSCS

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday (6-08-2024 @ 2:08pm) there was a water emergency at Pere Marquette, Muskegon. This makes almost a dozen water emergencies in Muskegon County since the dispatch went digital to MPSCS in July 2021. To this date, there have been multiple interop issues between Muskegon County Dispatch / First Responders with the United States Coast Guard.

Muskegon units used Interop 1 (61INP01) but USCG had to use Marine VHF channels. First responders didnt have Marine VHF channels, and USCG didnt have MPSCS talkgroups... Why is this still an issue? It seems like a patch could be used, or at least put marine channels on the multiband radios.

nd5y

or at least put marine channels on the multiband radios.
If the radio isn't part 80 certified then using marine frequencies isn't legal.

There are a number of VHF and UHF federal-non federal interoperability channels for incidents involving state/local and federal agencies and the Coast Guard is probably authorized to use the national interoperability channels. This sounds to me like a training or state/local government incompetence issue.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
The Coast Guard has access to the MPSCS, because they have at least a couple of dedicated talkgroups on the system, which means they should have the statewide event talkgroups. They wouldn't necessarily have Muskegon County's (or any county's, for that matter) talkgroups unless they had MOU's in place with those agencies.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
....This sounds to me like a training or state/local government incompetence issue.
I agree. A lot of "rank-and-file" users have no idea what all is in their radios.
I work for a federal agency with facilities in several counties. We're in the process of getting new radios, and I obtained MOU's from all of those counties, so we will have all but 3 of the 26 zones programmed. I'm going to have to train our officers on what is where. Will they remember it a year from now, or when that SHTF moment occurs? I hope so, but I'm not counting on it.

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
If the radio isn't part 80 certified then using marine frequencies isn't legal.

There are a number of VHF and UHF federal-non federal interoperability channels for incidents involving state/local and federal agencies and the Coast Guard is probably authorized to use the national interoperability channels. This sounds to me like a training or state/local government incompetence issue.
I don't think the APXs in my county are part 80 compliment. Even tri-band models can't do 25khz bandwidth, only 12.5. I have no idea why they can't figure out communication between the two.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't think the APXs in my county are part 80 compliment. Even tri-band models can't do 25khz bandwidth, only 12.5. I have no idea why they can't figure out communication between the two.

I think they are. I know the Harris XL-200's have Part 80.
And there are entitlement keys that will allow 25KHz channels on these radios.

Locally, all the radios have a "coastal interop" zone that has a few local fire/sheriff as well as a few specific USCG marine VHF channels (22A, etc).

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a sheriff marine unit radio cycle through its channels and it had very few, which shocked me! All were MPSCS, no VHF or 700/800 national interop, at least that I could see.

##COM (Countywide Common)
##P911A (Police Dispatch Primary)
##P911B (Police Dispatch Secondary)
##F911A (Fire Dispatch)
##FG6 (Fireground)
##P### (Sheriff Department Proprietary [Encrypted])
##SPEV1 (Countywide Special Event 1)
##PTAC1 (Police Tactical 1 [Encrypted])
##PTAC2 (Police Tactical 2 [Encrypted])
##INP01 (Interop 1)
##INP08 (Interop 8 [Encrypted])

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The USCG has lots of multiband radios, especially handhelds but I’ve not seen them programmed for anything other than official USCG or marine frequencies. Also, USCG and all branches of the US mil go by NTIA rules and may use non FCC type radios for marine and other services. For example I don’t find any FCC part 90 or 80 on the common Harris PRC152 or Thales MBITR series radios that can be used for interagency comms. I also don’t see FCC type acceptance listed on most HF radios used by the USCG.

Edit: I kind of remember maybe some 800MHz interop stuff in some USCG radios, I’ll have to double check that.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a sheriff marine unit radio cycle through its channels and it had very few, which shocked me! All were MPSCS, no VHF or 700/800 national interop, at least that I could see.

##COM (Countywide Common)
##P911A (Police Dispatch Primary)
##P911B (Police Dispatch Secondary)
##F911A (Fire Dispatch)
##FG6 (Fireground)
##P### (Sheriff Department Proprietary [Encrypted])
##SPEV1 (Countywide Special Event 1)
##PTAC1 (Police Tactical 1 [Encrypted])
##PTAC2 (Police Tactical 2 [Encrypted])
##INP01 (Interop 1)
I think I know which county this is, and if I'm right, they're on the coast. And if that is the case, and they don't have marine band capability, that's disconcerting.

opps2016

Most recent templates in ZONE E have 2 US Coast Guard talk groups in them for this very reason, if not they very least should have the AIRLZ1 and AIRLZ2 this would also be a good use case for this kind of coordination.

USCGAV1
USCGAV2

Talk groups have existed since at least 2022.