Using close call feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
A neighboring county recently switched to a statewide P25 P-2 Simulcast system. Not all departments have been logged or identified. I have the new frequencies that have been updated in the DB, and I know the site location. My question is, if I'm in near proximity of this site using my 536 or sds200 set to close call only, would I be able to find the missing TG's providing they have radio traffic? Never needed to use this feature before.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
A neighboring county recently switched to a statewide P25 P-2 Simulcast system. Not all departments have been logged or identified. I have the new frequencies that have been updated in the DB, and I know the site location. My question is, if I'm in near proximity of this site using my 536 or sds200 set to close call only, would I be able to find the missing TG's providing they have radio traffic? Never needed to use this feature before.
does not find talkgroups just frequencies
Steve

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Have ProScan. Approx 15 miles from site so can probably grab from here. Have external discone antenna with LMR400 cable. Strange thing is if I hold on that system I get traffic, however, in scan mode, passes by. Squelch setting is 2. Do I do ID search or other option?

N2IXX

Squelch doesn't matter as the signal is digital. I'm not an expert but I would leave it on the control freq. and just let it log for a day or two and you should capture what you need. ID Search is also an option that you can use

Last edited:

Reconrider

Download the system to a new favorite just add “Idsearch” to the end of it so you know.
Go through everything and click avoid so it doesn’t bother with those tgids. Let it scan and log on proscan if you have it. If not, just enable record and let it fill up for a few hours and see what you got

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Remember, Close Call is primarily for on-the-scene comms. The scanner receiver is attenuated, reception range is drastically reduced. It’s intended use is primarily for the reception of activity of all the services working that incident, fire, police, EMS, etc. In some areas, regions, emergency services may use something like Connecticut uses, called “STOCS” (do a search for Ct. STOCS) where all agencies have a simplex frequency on the band they use which is received and repeated on low power. It allows each agency to cross-patch with other agencies, allowing for comms across VHF, UHF, UUHF. A “STOCS BOX consists of three radios, each on the bands listed here. It then retransmits on all three bands which allows for the ability to cross agency comms. And because it’s low power (5 watts) it only services those agencies on scene. It’s interoperability at its finest, considered a stopgap method, until full interoperability can be phased in by all agencies, which may never happen for various reasons, but I suspect the major reason is budget constraints. And I’ve heard once in place, satisfies the interoperability needs without replacing current systems, so, the issue becomes not one of a temporary need but more of a permanent solution.

Kaleier1

In "ID Search" mode, you'll receive everything the radio is capable of receiving on the frequency or trunked system
Do as doctordialtione said and set the SDS200 to record. Then download and install the free Uniden wav files player and organizer from the person who created it in this post. Download the recorded files and you will see all the talkgroups it recored. You can even filter or arrange in numerical number. Quiet a great program.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
So what I have done is a bit complex but has worked quite well. I have proscan running in an old laptop, with my scanned connected to it set on id search while I am not actively listening to it. It logs new talk groups and records the audio. So when i get the chance I just review the new talk groups I have not seen before from my DB, save them, and listen to the recorded audio to get an idea of them.

I use a Bluetooth headset connected to the PC to listen, and when I am actively listening I just remkte control the PC from an iPad around the house. So essentially proscan is my entire interface and workflow.

I am currently using an older scanner while I wait for rhe sds100 to arrive but I will likely just plug it into pc and run a 2nd session of proscan and so the same and just mute the scanner I am not actively listening to.

I have many local frequencies and talk groups not jn RR DB that I pick up, but still need more data to determine what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.