Using GPS with the x36HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436HP, but don't use location control as a rule. My wife and I are taking a road trip that will take us from Pensacola, FL to Austin, TX with several stops along the way.

I plan to bring the 436 and have a Magellan GPS receiver that will work with it.

My question is can I use GPS/Location control without setting up Favorites Lists? I'd like to just set the service types I want to listen to, plug in the GPS and let the scanner do all the work if that's possible.

If I'm going to have to go to the work of programming FL, Systems, Departments, and Channels, I don't see that I need the GPS and Location Control.

If using GPS and Location Control will do all of the hard work for me, then I won't bother creating Favorites Lists.

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. In fact, unless you just like to spend a lot of time researching and building favorites lists, just scanning from the main database and GPS is painless and hassle-free. However, if you plan to scan in Austin, it might be worth making a dedicated FL for just the Austin area for when you are there.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I like to "roll my own" for my local(ish) areas, but on a long road trip I'm content to let the scanner do the work. When we stop for the night, I'll just plug in the ZIP code where we're staying and go from there.

I think I have an Austin area FL that I was going to use for my recent Austin trip. I ended up not taking the scanner at all, so I never tried it.

Do you recommend the same for the DFW area or New Orleans?

Yes. In fact, unless you just like to spend a lot of time researching and building favorites lists, just scanning from the main database and GPS is painless and hassle-free. However, if you plan to scan in Austin, it might be worth making a dedicated FL for just the Austin area for when you are there.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, with the GPS plugged in until you stop the car, no need to enter the zip. It will remember exactly where you are. You might want to extend the range.

Do I recommend not taking a scanner at all? It depends on your other family members, and what you have planned to do, I suppose.

:)

Actually, for those areas there is a good chance you could solicit a HPE file for the area from a local, if you wanted something more targeted.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I just got back from the hot rod power tour. Took mine from here to Charlotte, NC and back, then up to Wisconsin Dells and it worked perfectly. It was awesome not having to touch a thing while driving. Just listening. :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
My wife is used to it by now! I usually plug an earphone in so that she doesn't have to listen to the chatter.

Thanks for the tip on the GPS.

Actually, with the GPS plugged in until you stop the car, no need to enter the zip. It will remember exactly where you are. You might want to extend the range.

Do I recommend not taking a scanner at all? It depends on your other family members, and what you have planned to do, I suppose.

:)

Actually, for those areas there is a good chance you could solicit a HPE file for the area from a local, if you wanted something more targeted.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I used it today on my trip to the St Louis area. I had adjust the ranges on some of the sites and my default range. But once I got it "together" it worked like charm.

Oh by the way I used a 436HP with the Uniden Stock GPS unit.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Watch for States like Indiana and Kentucky where scanners are not legal in cars. With some exceptions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I like to "roll my own" for my local(ish) areas, but on a long road trip I'm content to let the scanner do the work. When we stop for the night, I'll just plug in the ZIP code where we're staying and go from there.

I think I have an Austin area FL that I was going to use for my recent Austin trip. I ended up not taking the scanner at all, so I never tried it.

Do you recommend the same for the DFW area or New Orleans?
If you need something for DFW/North Texas, let me know.

kc2kth

Watch for States like Indiana and Kentucky where scanners are not legal in cars. With some exceptions.

Good tip. Being formerly from New York state the way the law was written there was scanners were illegal if they were "attached" to a vehicle. In some cases, for example if the LEO took an instant disliking to you, having the scanner sitting on the seat but connected to a mag mount antenna on the roof of the vehicle would count as attached. In general though it didn't seem to be a big issue back then unless you were running around from scene to scene following the action. Note I left NY about 20 years ago so that all could have changed several times by now.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Most states (except maybe KY) have an exemption for ham radio licensees. I've used a scanner in a car in all of those states without a problem. The key is not to draw the attention of the police.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In Kentucky, scanners in vehicles are okay for those whold a valid FCC amateur license.

Kentucky Revised Statute 432.570 is the applicable law.

Status
Not open for further replies.