Using PRO96Com with the TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
3,727
Reaction score
305
Location
Coconut Creek
I am using the Whistler TRX-1 with PRO96Com. The operating manual that I have doesn't describe support for the TRX-1, yet it does seem to work. But I have two issues:

1. When I run PRO96Com on a strong nearby P25 system, which is already programmed into the TRX-1, the "Decode Information: Receive Rate" indicator jumps up and down from 0% to 100% decode, even though the bar graph on the scanner stays consistently at five full bars. Of course, at 0% decode rate, the program doesn't decode anything.

2. I created a scan list with just the control channel and all alternates for the system in question. The scanner stops on the active control channel, five full bars, seems to be working, but PRO96Com doesn't detect any signal present. Why isn't it seeing the control channel?
 

BruceMichaels

Not "Some People"
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 30, 2015
Messages
129
Reaction score
40
Location
Flying Over You
2. If you just have the control channels in a group, do you have them set up as a TRS? If not, it may not decode it. I'm using my TRX-2 and created a TRS group with just one TG that is bogus and it will never stop on it (I did this because when I ran it using existing TGs, it would stop and Pro96Com would stop until it went back into scan mode). Works perfectly!
 

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
3,727
Reaction score
305
Location
Coconut Creek
2. If you just have the control channels in a group, do you have them set up as a TRS? If not, it may not decode it. I'm using my TRX-2 and created a TRS group with just one TG that is bogus and it will never stop on it (I did this because when I ran it using existing TGs, it would stop and Pro96Com would stop until it went back into scan mode). Works perfectly!
Okay, I just set up the system as trunked with one dummy talkgroup, and it is decoding much more reliably.

It appears that when the scanner stops on active talkgroups it has a detrimental effect on decoding. As in, it won't. :D And just monitoring he active control channel in conventional mode doesn't work at all.

Thanks TBM!

EDIT: Mike, it's working now; it's Broward County, FL, Coral Springs site. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8214
 

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,908
Reaction score
2,594
Location
Bowie, Md.
I don't think PRO96Com is set up to do Phase 2, so any of those TGs that have 'T' in the mode won't show up. 'T' stands for TDMA, which is part of the protocol Phase 2 uses. And of course 'DE' is encrypted.

Mike
 

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
3,727
Reaction score
305
Location
Coconut Creek
I don't think PRO96Com is set up to do Phase 2, so any of those TGs that have 'T' in the mode won't show up. 'T' stands for TDMA, which is part of the protocol Phase 2 uses. And of course 'DE' is encrypted.Mike


The Coral Springs site is Phase 1. The Plantation site is Phase 2, and PRO96Com seems to be working on it as well.

The TDMA channels show up as (example) 857.5125/0 for slot 1, and 857.5125/1 for slot 2.
 

mikey60

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2003
Messages
3,543
Reaction score
55
Location
Oakland County Michigan
Okay, I just set up the system as trunked with one dummy talkgroup, and it is decoding much more reliably.

It appears that when the scanner stops on active talkgroups it has a detrimental effect on decoding. As in, it won't. :D And just monitoring he active control channel in conventional mode doesn't work at all.

Thanks TBM!

EDIT: Mike, it's working now; it's Broward County, FL, Coral Springs site. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8214

When the scanner switches to a voice channel, it's no longer sending control channel information. There are some link messages that are sent to the program in that case, but they are limited and the program doesn't understand them.

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top