Using Scanner to monitor CB radio traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a very new scanner user. I have never had one before. I bought a radio shack Pro 433. Is there any good reference guides out there that would be a big help to me? All I have is the instructions that came with it, and that does not seem to be a big help to a beginner. All I can monitor at this point is the downloaded frequencies that the dealer loaded for me (the police and fire channels for my particular locale). That is fun, but I would like to do more with it.

It is a base/mobile unit, so I can use it in my vehicle (legal issues aside). Is it possible to enter the CB radio frquencies, so that I can monitor those when I'm in my car? If so, how do I do that? I have tried, but when I get through all of the steps, the last one being entering the frequency (example: 27.065 mhz for channel 9) and push E/PGM, it errors out on me.

Also, from a weather standpoint, all I seem to be able to get is the report form my local area NOA weather station. How do I get the Skywarn functions, and something called SAME. I would like to be able to use this a lot more from a weather standpoint.

Any help with anything would be appreciated. Forgive me if I sound a little stupid on this stuff. As I said, I'm completely new and have no idea what I'm doing at this point.

Thank You

brandon

Database Admin
According to the Wiki, the Pro-433 does not cover the CB band, so this would explain why you receive the error message. Your best bet would be to pick up a cheap CB and connect it to a CB antenna if you need to monitor the truckers.

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
I agree with brandon. You can get an old cb for very cheap. Ebay should have a lot in that area.

jb872033

Same= Specific Area Message Encoding...you will hear more detailed information about SEVERE weather in your locale...that only happens when there is a Warning out if i am not mistaken...all the skywarn button does if default you to a channel in your memory bank...you have to program the frequency you local skywarn uses... if they have one...no adays most rely on cell phones depending you your location but some use HAM channels as well...welcome to scanning!! theres a lot out there to hear...

JB

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
And, welcome to the site.

Please use the database (link at the top of the page) and navigate to your area, there you should find the frequencies you would be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.