UTA on 800?

enosjones

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
274
Location
Price, Utah
There's a bunch of licenses for UTA Utah Transit Authority on 800 Mhz and I was wondering if they actually use 800, most of the experience has been with UTA on 900mhz using mpt1327 or analog, has anything changed with their radios usage ?
 

kd7rto

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
484
Reaction score
13
Location
Bountiful, Ut
The 900 Mhz mpt1327 operations are long gone, and these 800 Mhz licenses are active. They use, believe it or not, iDEN, the obsolete technology that Nextel shut down.

The look quite distinctive on a spectrum display, somewhat like Bart Simpson's head lol, and I recently found a lot of them with my new antenna at work.
854.1625, 854.2625, 854.3125, 854.4125, 854.4625, 854.6375, 854.7375, 854.7625, 854.8125, 854.8375, 854.8625, 855.0125, 855.0375, 855.0875, 855.3125, 855.3875, 855.5875, 855.6125, 855.6375, 855.6875, 855.7875, 855.9375, 856.0625, 857.0125, 857.0625, 857.0875, 857.6125, 857.8875, 858.0625, 858.0875, 858.5875, 858.6125, 858.6875, 858.7875, 859.1625, 859.7875.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot from 2026-09-26 01-45-26.png
    Screenshot from 2026-09-26 01-45-26.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

enosjones

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
274
Location
Price, Utah
So is it analog or some digital thing that they scanner or anything else can't decode or hear? Like mpt1327 was analog but u could still hear it.
 

kd7rto

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
484
Reaction score
13
Location
Bountiful, Ut
So is it analog or some digital thing that they scanner or anything else can't decode or hear? Like mpt1327 was analog but u could still hear it.
It is digital and unmonitorable. I've never seen any SDR software that can analyze these signals, nor have I seen any hacks for the now useless Nextel "phones" (subscriber units). KD7BA was a Nextel field tech, back in the day. I see him on occasion, so I'll have to ask about what test equipment they used at the sites. (I worked on CDMA cell sites, during the 2G era, and I can say that none of the test equipment we used produced any useful information about how the network functioned, or about the traffic on the network).
 

enosjones

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
274
Location
Price, Utah
I just wondered considering its not updated on the database, but i guess u can't tell what site is what, unless u just guess with the fcc licenses and what digital noise u can hear. But all the old 900 stuff is still on the database and hasn't been changed. My question is if we can flag it that its changed but don't have info since its iDen system or whatever. Cuz currently its still lists the 900mhz info stuff.
 

enosjones

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,219
Reaction score
274
Location
Price, Utah
I can't help with that system cuz they don't use UTA down here in Carbon County or I'd offer to help. I just was mostly curious more than anything.
 
Top