Venus 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Venus 92 was doing practice approaches at CHO today. Didn't get up there to see it but heard them on tower and approach for ILS practice. Tower warned of wake turbulence from 757 heavy to others in area.

He left the area and I think went to Richmond instead of Andrews. Does anyone have their air to ground ops freq? I saw it once or twice but never put it in the scanner.

I have pictures of various other Venus aircraft over the years but the big heavy is quite a sight at little CHO.

First time I saw one of these guys doing touch and go it looked someone took a leaf blower to the runway when he powered back up.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know what a/g freqs they would use at CHO, but a little research suggests they would have to coordinate with the tower (338.275 is the UHF side, per Airnav); then when they leave, they would likely call the TRACON on 257.75 (UHF side of 132.85 per our Wiki).

73s Mike

gcgrotz

Thanks Mike. Every Venus I've heard here uses the standard VHF freqs 124.500 tower and 132.850 approach when they are doing their practices.
As a side note, I have never heard the tower on UHF, they don't simulcast the VHF freq. A few years ago they changed the UHF freq according to the FAA charts and I've never heard anything on 338.275 since they changed. Last year there was a flyby of jets from the VA-ANG from Richmond for a football game. They never talked to the tower but did use the approach UHF freq as they headed back out of town.
As for the Venus callsigns - there was an article in Mon-Times a few years ago about the federal executive fleet based at Andrews and it gave a freq they use for command comms when inbound. It was somewhere in that 138-144 range I think. I should try searching the MT website maybe huh? I hear and see them very often here, all different types of aircraft.
BTW, I have a recording of Marine One talking with approach on 132.85, and not UHF, when Pres Clinton came to town for a fundraiser before the 2000 elections. They would not hand him off to the next sector until they had him on radar somewhere up near Fredericksburg I think. Never talked to CHO tower either.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

VENUS seems to be a generic training callsign for the Air Mobility Command (or whatever it's called now).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
gcgrotz said:
Thanks Mike. Every Venus I've heard here uses the standard VHF freqs 124.500 tower and 132.850 approach when they are doing their practices.
As a side note, I have never heard the tower on UHF, they don't simulcast the VHF freq. A few years ago they changed the UHF freq according to the FAA charts and I've never heard anything on 338.275 since they changed. Last year there was a flyby of jets from the VA-ANG from Richmond for a football game. They never talked to the tower but did use the approach UHF freq as they headed back out of town.
As for the Venus callsigns - there was an article in Mon-Times a few years ago about the federal executive fleet based at Andrews and it gave a freq they use for command comms when inbound. It was somewhere in that 138-144 range I think. I should try searching the MT website maybe huh? I hear and see them very often here, all different types of aircraft.

Interesting that Airnav doesn't have the right freq - shouldn't surprise me I suppose, if they get their info from the FAA and they hadn't loaded their new charts in a while.

Yes, if you can find the MT article on the reprints listing, maybe that would be a good start - but maybe another long shot is worth trying. On the Maryland milair forum, we have a fellow called 'CitationJet'. Tony's very knowledgable about flights in the Virginia area (he lives down there...). I know the team on that thread has had numerous freqs for the Va ANG - in fact, I think we have them on our Wiki - but perhaps Tony has a better handle on the Venus flights. Certainly can't hurt to ask. 73s Mike

gcgrotz

DaveNF2G said:
VENUS seems to be a generic training callsign for the Air Mobility Command (or whatever it's called now).

Right, I think it is used whenever they are not transporting any VIPs. And that would mostly be training huh? I guess it could also be a positioning flight. They do train here a lot, CHO has full ILS and tower services but is not real busy, and close to DC. Once in a while they will go to RIC or some other small airport like ROA or Martinsburg WV.

ka3jjz: thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. One day I'll figure out how to use close call again and sit over by the tower tuned to UHF band. I have a feeling they just don't simulcast unless they need it.

DanHenry

338.275 is current for CHO tower and ground

Mike,

The 338.275 you found is correct for CHO tower and ground according to the current IFR supplement. There are no active NOTAMS showing a change.

---
CHARLOTTESVILLE ALBEMARLE, VA KCHO

COMMUNICATIONS -
CTAF - 124.5
UNICOM - 122.95
ATIS - 118.425
ASOS - 118.425
LEESBURG RDO - 122.2 122.65
REMARKS: (RCO)
POTOMAC APP/DEP - (R) (E) 132.85 257.75
TWR - 124.5 338.275
GND - 121.9 338.275
FSS-LEESBURG DCA-DL-NOTAM CHO
---

gcgrotz,

You're probably right that they just don't simulcast.

-Dan

Last edited:

wa8vzq

I'd have a tendency to agree with gcgrotz on the callsign user. The 89th AW based at ADW. My ops group was based in the same hangar as they were. At least when I worked there, and that was many moons ago, that was one of the callsigns that they used. But that is dated info.

Dan
Apple Valley, MN

gcgrotz

I think the article I wanted was March 2003 in MT. I found it in their index but I guess you have to buy the CD. It was about the SAM air wing at ADW I beleive.

Yes, the current ILS approach plate for CHO lists 338.275.

About a year ago, one of the Venus Gulfstreams was in and it had been repainted, the blue trim and "United States of America" was gone, just painted white with a small tail#. Made me wonder where they had been taking it where they didn't want to advertise USA!

Meanwhile here's a photo taken in April 2006. I think it was Venus 94 but I'd have to dig out my notebook scribble pad to be sure.

I sit in the short term lot next to the apron and eat my lunch regularly. I try to be discrete when taking pictures but all the lot attendants know me since I was doing it pre 9-11 and ever since the lot re-opened after 9-11. Usually have 2 or 3 scanners going. 30 minutes free, can't beat it!

Attachments

• P4070020small.jpg
    P4070020small.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

TinEar

George, VENUS Control is 142.75. Is that the one you were trying to remember? I don't believe I've ever heard VENUS on anything but VHF frequencies whether at Andrews, with TRACON or ARTCC.

gcgrotz

Thanks, I think that was it. I'll get that in the scanner. I suspect it is an easy shot back to Andrews once they get airborne and they probably make a call to tell them they're coming back home.

I have pictures of some of the Nighthawk White Tops from Quantico, included one that had to land due to a transmission problem. I need to get them better organized. Right.

I also have photos of an un-ided grey helo that was practicing recently I'll get posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.