• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Very Basic Question

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have two Midland X-tra Talk GMRS/FRS radios. One 22ch purchased in 2007 and a 50ch GXT Series purchased some time after 2009.

I have noticed that charts i have seen for the basic 22 channel radios seem to be mixed. What I mean is some radios have different channel sequencing than others. And the 50ch radio I have is just all over the place with random frequencies.

So I wanted to verify the frequency list, in order (1 thru 22) for the 22ch radio. So I took one of my many scanners, put in close call mode. And keyed each channel all the way through. The first 7 channels are listed as FRS and ch 16-22 are FRS. Ch 8-15 are GMRS channels.

My most basic question (out of a few that I have) is ch15 on the radio, if numerically correct and in order, should be 467.725. However it transmits on 462.5375. 462.5375 is not listed as one of the 30 GMRS channels by the FCC nor is it one of the 22 FRS channels listed by the FCC.

Could this be a simple error in programming at the factory or do I have $5,000 collectors item? LOL

It seems like the radio manufacturers take any combination of frequencies they want and program them in any order they want, as it looks like they did on the 50ch radio.

Sorry this basic question was so long.
Thanks.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I have two Midland X-tra Talk GMRS/FRS radios. One 22ch purchased in 2007 and a 50ch GXT Series purchased some time after 2009.

I have noticed that charts i have seen for the basic 22 channel radios seem to be mixed. What I mean is some radios have different channel sequencing than others. And the 50ch radio I have is just all over the place with random frequencies.

So I wanted to verify the frequency list, in order (1 thru 22) for the 22ch radio. So I took one of my many scanners, put in close call mode. And keyed each channel all the way through. The first 7 channels are listed as FRS and ch 16-22 are FRS. Ch 8-15 are GMRS channels.

My most basic question (out of a few that I have) is ch15 on the radio, if numerically correct and in order, should be 467.725. However it transmits on 462.5375. 462.5375 is not listed as one of the 30 GMRS channels by the FCC nor is it one of the 22 FRS channels listed by the FCC.

Could this be a simple error in programming at the factory or do I have $5,000 collectors item? LOL

It seems like the radio manufacturers take any combination of frequencies they want and program them in any order they want, as it looks like they did on the 50ch radio.

Sorry this basic question was so long.
Thanks.
See if this FRS/GMRS Channel Chart helps:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Transmitting in close proximity to the scanner can result in overloading the receiver, and the close call function may not work correctly.

Best source of frequency to channel assignment would be to check with the Midland website and the specific manual for the radio you have. If you cannot locate it on that website, you may be able to find it by looking up the specific FCC ID for that radio using this site:

You'll have to dig through the results from that search, but usually the original owners manual is part of the documentation.

Many, many year ago, there really wasn't a standard for GMRS frequency to channel assignments. Different manufacturers arranged things differently.
The FCC did eventually post their take on the frequency to channel list, but it's not binding, so take it with a grain of salt.

As for the "50 channel" radios, it's still the same GMRS frequencies like your other radio. They just added additional channel slots where you could assign the existing GMRS channels with a specific PL/DPL squelch code and save it in one of the slots.

Actually, a good question and surprised it doesn't come up more often. When the "50 channel" radios came out, this came up frequently.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Transmitting in close proximity to the scanner can result in overloading the receiver, and the close call function may not work correctly.

Best source of frequency to channel assignment would be to check with the Midland website and the specific manual for the radio you have. If you cannot locate it on that website, you may be able to find it by looking up the specific FCC ID for that radio using this site:

You'll have to dig through the results from that search, but usually the original owners manual is part of the documentation.

Many, many year ago, there really wasn't a standard for GMRS frequency to channel assignments. Different manufacturers arranged things differently.
The FCC did eventually post their take on the frequency to channel list, but it's not binding, so take it with a grain of salt.

As for the "50 channel" radios, it's still the same GMRS frequencies like your other radio. They just added additional channel slots where you could assign the existing GMRS channels with a specific PL/DPL squelch code and save it in one of the slots.

Actually, a good question and surprised it doesn't come up more often. When the "50 channel" radios came out, this came up frequently.

Thanks for thinking it was a good question. As a matter of fact the paper manual that came with both sets of radios has the exact same frequency chart. A combined 22ch list of GMRS/FRS frequencies. Probably a factory thing.