Vietnamese pirates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryPavlick

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
15,627
Location
Wallingford PA Villas NJ
The Omega fishing fleet spotter aircraft use a few VHF airband channels for plane to plane - usually 123.175.
The communication to the ships about where the fish are on 158 MHz licensed frequencies.


Virginia data

Mississippi data

Can monitor them a lot on those Virginia frequencies especially when they are off the New Jersey and Delaware coastlines - from my NJ location. The spotter planes either land at our local airport or Ocean City MD airport for refuel and food.

PS - do not set up recording - they can fill a hard drive in one flight yakking away
 

kb5udf

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
967
Reaction score
261
Location
Louisiana
I sometimes here then on 156.15; I did not log the squelch type. Definately Vietnamese.
 

EAFrizzle

"Sign in, please!"
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 2, 2019
Messages
1,604
Reaction score
2,532
Location
SE de DFW
When I lived in Houston, I would hear the Vietnamese fishermen on various railroad channels when a duct would open up. I don't speak Vietnamese, but in Houston you learn all sorts of food words. I was pretty sure it wasn't anyone with UP talking about shrimp in Vietnamese.
 

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Joined
Jun 19, 2002
Messages
1,426
Reaction score
739
Location
On the beach.... with Ava.
The little bit I did listen to (I had somewhere north of 4k recordings spread over 4 radios) seemed to me they were using VHF marine for air-to-boat. 71 was mentioned quite a bit as was 88.

I think they had 6 planes up yesterday so that also explains the multitude of traffic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top