Vintage radio antenna help

Droc77rva

Hey all,
I have a Realistic DX-160 I got from a family member. He was great about storage for things so it seems to be nice, clean and almost new looking. It had an original manuel and external speaker. I have really only used handheld scanners before like the Uniden BCD436HP and some analog scanners from Radio Shack. I wanted to get it hooked up to an external antenna. I live in the country and have a couple of trees close to the house. My question is, can I run a copper wire with insulators from my home to a tree/garage and then just clip into it? Is the length of the wire or gauge important? Do I need to ground the antenna, the radio or both? Lastly does the antenna have to be parallel or perpendicular to the ground? I know these are probably basic questions but any advise would be appreciated. I think I already know what I need to do but I just want to verify with people who know. It's a neat looking unit and I want to make sure I don't blow it up or whatever. Thank you in advance.

Benkasey

Premium Subscriber
I had this same model radio when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun. Those were the golden days of shortwave before the Internet, and sunspot activity was great for propagation. I picked up longwave (WGU20), ship-to-shore radio, SSB hams, numbers stations, WWV/VH. The big name broadcasters -- BBC, Radio Canada International, Voice of America, Armed Forces Radio, Deutsche Welle, HCJB (Equador). And the usual Commie cast of characters -- besides the Soviet Union, their blok countries like Radio Tirana (Albania), and faithful comrade Radio Havana Cuba. Cuba programming consisted of their people either meeting or not meeting some quota, and blamning everything on United States sanctions. Fidel was firmly in charge.

To receive these, I attached a really long length of Radio Shack bell wire from a tree on one end, and across the yard to an antenna mast, then down the mast through a window to my bedroom. I guess it was maybe a 45 degree angle. I ran a ground wire out the window and atttached it to a piece on pipe pounded into the ground. Grounding is very important to not pick up interference.

Recently I bought an SDR-Blog v4 SDR dongle and a Youloop antenna. I didn't pick up very much in the way of SW broadcasts, but Radio Havana Cuba is still on the air and still blaming the United States for their problems. Another station I picked up was a Christian evangelical broadcast station somewhere in the South U.S. I forget the radio network name. So, fifty years after the golden age of shortwave, you might hear some interesting things, like international hams, but all the big commercial powerhouses are gone. A few still have Internet streaming audio of some sort. But as for content, now everthing tows the politically correct line. The stories about, say everyday life in Canada -- a fisherman, a fur trapper, cooking recipes, weather forecasts, those are all gone.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Look up on the web long wires or Dipoles to get an idea to start.

Antenna legnth is important - Use this simple math take 234 and divide by your Frequency than Times 12 and it will give you

the Length in Inches = Here is an exaple Take WRMI in Miami FL on 5.950 Mhz So do 234/5.950=39.3 Feet X 12 gives you 471 Inches.

So for that run 40 feet of wire off the back of the radio and try it out. Adding coax and Insulators and Direction is Optional.

Just try to learn how to use the DX-160 - Ive had many in that DX series over the years. There is lots of Controls there is more to

it than just tumbling the big Knob and saying there is nothing there !

Pete N1EXA