Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS)

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I like how VDOT ssp in Richmond has changed their radio callsigns. Instead of route or county names they are now more aligned with the rest of the state. They now I'd as "SSPxxx"
4##SSP is the greater Richmond area. 8##SSP is basically I-81. 9##SSP is I-95.

dk20001

Premium Subscriber
It is not. They continue to use FDMA equipment. The procurement that is upcoming within the next number of years will include TDMA and full encryption for VSP.

Unfortunately, that upcoming procurement is closer than years away. Scheduled completion is this summer...which is why TDMA is showing up in system scans.
Why VSP feels a need to FULLY encrypt routine daily VSP dispatch comms is a real puzzle to many. Investigators, vice-narc, exec protection, SWAT, sensitive ops, etc......ABSOLUTELY encrypt but encrypting routine traffic accident management, seemingly the majority of their obvious work, is way over the top. Sometimes just the ability to do something is not the best reason. Hiding processes that don't need to be hidden isn't in the best interest of the agency or the citizens in today's times.
We can only hope VSP decides to address communications operational security in the same way as most progressive law enforcement agencies, at least around the NCR National Capital Region and decide to use encryption *selectively*, where and when it makes the most sense.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Talking point from from the 2021 VSP STARS report to the General Assembly:

"Radio Authentication: Adds another layer of security to all subscriber radios in the STARS fleet. These features allowed only properly registered radios to access the network and prevent cloning of radios to spoof the system. The infrastructure equipment installation is in place and testing has been completed. This new system will be implemented as the new subscriber units are installed through the second quarter of 2024."

dk20001

Premium Subscriber
Talking point from from the 2021 VSP STARS report to the General Assembly:

"Radio Authentication: Adds another layer of security to all subscriber radios in the STARS fleet. These features allowed only properly registered radios to access the network and prevent cloning of radios to spoof the system. The infrastructure equipment installation is in place and testing has been completed. This new system will be implemented as the new subscriber units are installed through the second quarter of 2024."
Thanks for this tidbit. VSP is way behind other systems, at least in NoVa and Md. Phase 2 systems in the DC area have had mobile subscriber authentication for awhile. Fortunately, it has no impact on either scanner or passive-radio monitoring. Any listener who knowingly (or unknowingly) affiliates to a public safety comm system without permission deserves to be zapped anyway.

LateNightGaming

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, that upcoming procurement is closer than years away. Scheduled completion is this summer...which is why TDMA is showing up in system scans.
Why VSP feels a need to FULLY encrypt routine daily VSP dispatch comms is a real puzzle to many. Investigators, vice-narc, exec protection, SWAT, sensitive ops, etc......ABSOLUTELY encrypt but encrypting routine traffic accident management, seemingly the majority of their obvious work, is way over the top. Sometimes just the ability to do something is not the best reason. Hiding processes that don't need to be hidden isn't in the best interest of the agency or the citizens in today's times.
We can only hope VSP decides to address communications operational security in the same way as most progressive law enforcement agencies, at least around the NCR National Capital Region and decide to use encryption *selectively*, where and when it makes the most sense.
Just wait till everything transitions to LTE
Makes me sad just thinking about it. Also almost everything on the DC system for MPD is encrypted, as is everything on WMATA. Lame.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Recently I believe all VSP Division 2 radio traffic is on Culpeper 1. This might be a communications staffing issue.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Strange to hear VMRC law enforcement tg4125 this afternoon. I'm monitoring the Thornburg site. That is for Southern division.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Have been seeing longer Radio IDS on div 5 dispatchers , and select units in Div 1 . 6510004 and 6510006 seen earlier .
Yea I’ve noticed longer RID’s VDOT, VMRC and VDOC console ID’s as well. CBBT PD is fully Phase 2 as of sometimes last week

Listener1440

Premium Subscriber
I will apologize in advance if this is somewhere I can not locate. I searched the forums but wasn't able to locate anything specific to the VSP. I was discussing radios with a individual last evening, he has connections with the VSP locally. When I told him I enjoy scanning, he stated I would not be able to hear the VSP in three month because they were being encrypted. Now I heard rumors amount some ham radio folks a few months ago but nothing defiant. Also I understand there are changes and improvements to the STARS. Again, I am not fully aware of this information but thought I put it out there to see if I am the only one in the dark about the subject.

Please be gentle, I am only sharing what I heard.

TJX400

I will apologize in advance if this is somewhere I can not locate. I searched the forums but wasn't able to locate anything specific to the VSP. I was discussing radios with a individual last evening, he has connections with the VSP locally. When I told him I enjoy scanning, he stated I would not be able to hear the VSP in three month because they were being encrypted. Now I heard rumors amount some ham radio folks a few months ago but nothing defiant. Also I understand there are changes and improvements to the STARS. Again, I am not fully aware of this information but thought I put it out there to see if I am the only one in the dark about the subject.

Please be gentle, I am only sharing what I heard.
Within the next three months would be impressive. I still hear lots of XTS/XTL radios on Division 1's channels. Encryption won't come until the APX NEXT radios are distributed to everyone. They've began issuing them to the new academies, and they're working on getting them out to everyone else. It's wasted effort if they load keys into all of their Astro 25 equipment and strap all of their talkgroups while they're in the process of also rolling out the NEXTs, which will be programmable OTA using Radio Central, which takes significantly less effort than POP25 and/or touching every single unit.

Not saying it won't happen in three months, but I would be shocked if that comes true. I think we've got a little while longer until the big E hits VSP full time. But yeah, it's certainly coming.

1dougsk

Premium Subscriber
Will the entire STARS system be encrypted, or just VSP? Wondering if Safety Service Patrol (SSP) will be encrypted, or "in the clear." Anyone know?
Thanks.

TJX400

Will the entire STARS system be encrypted, or just VSP? Wondering if Safety Service Patrol (SSP) will be encrypted, or "in the clear." Anyone know?
Thanks.
To my knowledge only law enforcement, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Most likely similar to how PA is where all of LE is strapped but everyone else is clear.

CurtisPayne145

Premium Subscriber
Within the next three months would be impressive. I still hear lots of XTS/XTL radios on Division 1's channels. Encryption won't come until the APX NEXT radios are distributed to everyone. They've began issuing them to the new academies, and they're working on getting them out to everyone else. It's wasted effort if they load keys into all of their Astro 25 equipment and strap all of their talkgroups while they're in the process of also rolling out the NEXTs, which will be programmable OTA using Radio Central, which takes significantly less effort than POP25 and/or touching every single unit.

Not saying it won't happen in three months, but I would be shocked if that comes true. I think we've got a little while longer until the big E hits VSP full time. But yeah, it's certainly coming.
I hope i'll be working for them before it does happen, they're the only department i listen to