VMWare's purchase by Broadcom

BinaryMode

That's incredible. Especially how these companies throw around the B word all the time like nothing. Even in Congress. "Billion here, billion there, who cares..."

I have been using VMware Workstation Player since circa 2007. And I was just recently exploring vSphere. I hope Broadcom doesn't mess up what is a great product.

...to market and focusing on those partners that can deliver growth and significant revenue

It's all about the money. It's never about quality and providing a quality product that consumers (who are your capital) would embrace.

Today's products (like on Chinazon) and their customer support are out the window. Greed will destroy us all...

Wikipedia said:
Tan Hock Eng is a Malaysian-born Chinese-American business executive. He is the CEO of Broadcom Inc. He was the highest-earning CEO in the US in 2017, earning US$103.2 million that year.

MSI Astro P25 ( 7.x / A20xy.z) zone core servers (ie. ZC's, PM, UNC, UEM, etc)
are all virtual servers running off a VMware host, on HP DL380 Gen x servers

Expect MSI to pass on any price increases.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
MSI Astro P25 ( 7.x / A20xy.z) zone core servers (ie. ZC's, PM, UNC, UEM, etc)
are all virtual servers running off a VMware host, on HP DL380 Gen x servers

Expect MSI to pass on any price increases.
There are plenty of other hypervisors they can use. Anyone that continues with VMware, especially if they are in the top 2000 that will get a hefty price increase, isn't doing their homework.

belvdr

Per Broadcom's investor notes, they plan on increasing VMware's standalone FY22 by 80% over 3 years ($4.7B to $8.5B). That's going to need aggressive cost cutting as well as increased revenue. I'd wager VMware Fusion will be axed; it has always been a back seat product in VMware's portfolio. I don't know much about the Windows variant.

trimmerj

Premium Subscriber
Just did a win98 vm yesterday to run Probe. Used VMware workstation to create. Using Player to launch. Is player gonna quit working after the trial ends? Do I need to purchase a license?
Thanks
Oh this is going to get nuts. For the top 2000 customers, they can likely expect their costs to double.

belvdr

Just did a win98 vm yesterday to run Probe. Used VMware workstation to create. Using Player to launch. Is player gonna quit working after the trial ends? Do I need to purchase a license?
Thanks
Workstation Player is free. There are also other hypervisors out there, like Hyper-V, VirtualBox, or Parallels (paid software).

belvdr

I assume Fusion, and possibly Workstation, are being looked at for a similar cut.

BinaryMode

What a shame. I prefer Workstation over Oracle's crap... yes, crap. Had nothing but issues with it for years. And Microsoft?! HA! The only M$ product I use is Windows, and at that I stripped it down...

belvdr

What a shame. I prefer Workstation over Oracle's crap... yes, crap. Had nothing but issues with it for years. And Microsoft?! HA! The only M$ product I use is Windows, and at that I stripped it down...
I used VirtualBox for a period but one update tore my lab apart (2010-ish). I vowed not to use it again.

I've read that Hyper-V is on the chopping block, being replaced by Azure Arc. That's getting no rave reviews either. ESXi was my top choice for a free hypervisor. I'm testing proxmox, but its interface is lacking compared to ESXi. It's likely just a learning curve, but there's a lot that must be done in the terminal.

radionx

"That's incredible. Especially how these companies throw around the B word all the time like nothing. Even in Congress. "Billion here, billion there, who cares...""
This is going to end pretty soon.

"I have been using VMware Workstation Player since circa 2007. And I was just recently exploring vSphere. I hope Broadcom doesn't mess up what is a great product."
You can bet on that.
"MSI Astro P25 ( 7.x / A20xy.z) zone core servers (ie. ZC's, PM, UNC, UEM, etc)
are all virtual servers running off a VMware host, on HP DL380 Gen x servers."
Ever done a complete risk assessment? And I mean complete by counting in systemic risks?

It's going to be wild out there...dying financial systems, systemic instability, crash of morals...with potential to bring the whole fabric down.
Begins to feel like the beginning in "Dawn of the dead" (2004 movie). Look on youtube for the part "There goes the neighborhood".

I see fire and most ppl don't even sense smoke. Most will be caught unprepared. Failure of complex systems, a fascinating thing.

For ppl into symbolism, go to https://www.usdebtclock.org/ and take a CLOSE look.

radionx

For you:

Attachments

• The_Alan_Parsons_Project_-_The_Turn_of_a_Friendly_Card.jpg
    The_Alan_Parsons_Project_-_The_Turn_of_a_Friendly_Card.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 11

BinaryMode

I used VirtualBox for a period but one update tore my lab apart (2010-ish). I vowed not to use it again.

I've read that Hyper-V is on the chopping block, being replaced by Azure Arc. That's getting no rave reviews either. ESXi was my top choice for a free hypervisor. I'm testing proxmox, but its interface is lacking compared to ESXi. It's likely just a learning curve, but there's a lot that must be done in the terminal.

Proxmox will probably be something I check out in the near future. Looks interesting.

This actually pisses me off as to what Broadcom is doing. I feel like buying hardware (if I can help it) without the use of any Broadcom chipset. Does this sound like a monopoly though? Broadcom is EVERYWHERE!

belvdr

Proxmox will probably be something I check out in the near future. Looks interesting.

This actually pisses me off as to what Broadcom is doing. I feel like buying hardware (if I can help it) without the use of any Broadcom chipset. Does this sound like a monopoly though? Broadcom is EVERYWHERE!
I haven't bought Broadcom anything for years, if I can help it. Sometimes, there is no other option. Latest reports from the field are renewals are 9x-10x what they were previously, and there is no negotiation. Imagine a smaller shop going from a 100k renewal to 900k-1MM.

Proxmox is sort of a pain in the hoo-hah. Nothing is as easy as it was in ESXi, and it's just as easy to run a standard Linux VM with KVM for a single node. The only real benefit is the addition of a web UI for console access.

Broadcom is a holding company and there are competitors to their products. Instead of Brocade, you have Emulex HBAs or Cisco FC switches. Instead of their NICs, you have Intel, nVidia, or Marvel.

I spoke incorrectly on Hyper-V earlier. It's replacement is Azure Stack HCI (short for HyperConverged Infrastructure). That's not free either, even for home use, so the choices are getting slim.