• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Voltage, Current, Distance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

2KIL/CM That is 2 x 12.9 x amps x length divided by Circular mills of the wire. Please this is the interweb google it. Voltage Drop Calculator. Voltage Drop is not enforceable per the NEC.

Voltage drop is enforceable by the NEC as long as the installation is subject to NEC. (This one isn't because of the low voltage and being class 2 wiring.)

The NEC does not permit the voltage drop to be more than 5% total from the point of supply to the load--Of course this applies to the premises wiring that is subject to the code.

jackj

ipfd, he said he was going to use 10 vac because he already has that on the tower. Also, the amount of voltage drop is determined by the current and the resistance. The type of current (AC or DC) won't effect the drop.

Confuzzled

OK, here's a little more.

Mast is about 40' tall comprised of three cores of 1-1/8" fence top rail lashed together for a total diameter of a little over 3" (Think honeycomb if looking at it from the end). Guyed and grounded.

TV and Cell phone repeater antennas at the top along with the camera. 2 RG-6, rotator, camera power (4 conductor, 22AWG) and Cat5 LAN cable for camera (backup for wireless) already in place. COAXs are connected through grounding adapters. LAN cable will be tied through a lightning arrestor and grounded.

Options for camera power:

A > 10 VAC (up to 8 amp) in garage at base > 22 AWG cable up mast (maybe doubling conductors) > bridge & regulator mounted inside dome > camera.

B > 110VAC line power up mast inside PVC conduit separated from coax by at least 4" > weatherproof box housing socket w/ wall wart plugged in > camera.

I have everything to do both, but for some reason, I'm just not wild about 110 even though it would be into a GFCI at the base. I'm not sure why since I have other outside lighting and outlets. Nothing else is that high though.

I know the 7805 will put out some heat, even with a heat sink, but I don't know if it will be enough to limit/reduce frost on the lexan dome. Using the 110 option, there will be no heat source at all to reduce frost, unless somebody has another idea.

The camera shouldn't draw more than an amp even though the wall wart is 2 amp. The 1 amp limit for the 7805 should be enough, I hope.

I just can't make up my mind.

petrol88

Assuming the 10VAC provides enough current, I think I would full-wave rectify it at the top, then run the rectified power into a 5V regulated automotive power adapter (think cigarette lighter adapter) rated to handle the necessary current at 5V. Something like: http://www.amazon.com/Micca-2000mA-Power-Adapter-Slim-HD/dp/B003G8OVNA

Rectified 10V is going to be within the allowable input range for DC powered applications (usually they are tolerant to input voltages from 9VDC to 16VDC). I would make sure your rectifier circuit had good filtering to eliminate all AC components from the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.