Yaesu: vx-7r problems with Commander software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim9251

Got the USB cable for my vx-7r, entered all my frequencies into the Commander software and tried to connect. After spending most of the day yesterday with port errors, connection timeouts, and the software just not working (I'm using stupid Windows 7), I gave up. Turned the radio off, unplugged the cable, and when I turned it back on there is a noise like the squelch is open and the green receive light stays on. I've turned the squelch settings as high as they can go, and there's still noise. I can press the monitor button and the squelch opens up like it should, then when I release it, it still is noise. I can't receive anything now, not NOAA weather, not my local repeater nothing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I've contacted Yaesu repair and am waiting on a reply. I've reset the radio which of course caused me to loose my frequencies I manually programmed but there is still this noise. Suggestions?

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
VX-7R Commander

I am also having problems getting this software to work. I get all the way to the point where the commander program says writing to VX-7R, then data write complete. The VX-7 display reads clone wait. Then nothing happens. Nothing changes in the radio. I have tried VX-7 resets and writing several times. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong. I bought the 3.5 audio / USB vx7rusdcbl cable from Kawamall with the driver CD. I made a list and program changes in the commander and saved it. It does not work with the saved file or the default file.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Similar issue here,only the radio is a vx-6r and the cable was from dh gate.com so I went back to the keypad.
I read a article that said some of the chinese cables won't be seen when plugged into usb ports, go figure! :(
You might try making sure the threaded 3.5 mm jack is screwed in really snug too, which was a problem for people but it didn't help here.

n9zas

jimhause

Got the USB cable for my vx-7r, entered all my frequencies into the Commander software and tried to connect. After spending most of the day yesterday with port errors, connection timeouts, and the software just not working (I'm using stupid Windows 7), I gave up. Turned the radio off, unplugged the cable, and when I turned it back on there is a noise like the squelch is open and the green receive light stays on. I've turned the squelch settings as high as they can go, and there's still noise. I can press the monitor button and the squelch opens up like it should, then when I release it, it still is noise. I can't receive anything now, not NOAA weather, not my local repeater nothing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I've contacted Yaesu repair and am waiting on a reply. I've reset the radio which of course caused me to loose my frequencies I manually programmed but there is still this noise. Suggestions?
Not sure if your problem is what I had with the commander programming software. I fixed my problem by going into the software where you select the port your usb is connected to. to the right of the scroll down button is a little square button, that when clicked you can change the default write delay. Default is 15, I changed it to 17, and then the software wrote correctly to the radio. Before that it would only read, but not write correctly, and at times lock up my VX7.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well I just ordered my cable and waiting for it to try the VX Commander...if it doesn't work with WIN7 does anyone have any other suggestions for programming options?

k6cpo

Well I just ordered my cable and waiting for it to try the VX Commander...if it doesn't work with WIN7 does anyone have any other suggestions for programming options?

What I see happening here is the same thin I encountered in my photography hobby. People would buy a camera then cheap out on the accessories, buying from e-Bay or some off brand company instead of buying the OEM accessories. They'd then come on the forums and complain bitterly about the problems they were having with those accessories.

The same thing is happening with USB cables and radio programming software. People will buy a radio, then buy the cheapest Chinese USB cable and download free software in an attempt to save money. Caveat emptor, folks. You get what you pay for...

In my estimation, the best software and cables are produced by RT Systems, a US company. I have their software and cables for six radios, all Yaesu. I have never had any issue with programming my radios with their products. Their cables work perfectly and the software is consistent across all radios. It's even possible to transfer programming from one software to another. This enables one to program similar radios with the same information. If one were to buy the Yaesu-branded programming package for their radio, they'd find an RT Systems disc when they open the box...

One caution with RT Systems, however. Their cables will only work with their software and vice versa...

KC5NOI

One caution with RT Systems, however. Their cables will only work with their software and vice versa...

I'm using the RT systems yellow cable along with VX-7 Commander software (on Win 7 64bit) and have been for a few years now with no issues. What problems exist between the two?

Regards,
Matt KC5NOI

k6cpo

I'm using the RT systems yellow cable along with VX-7 Commander software (on Win 7 64bit) and have been for a few years now with no issues. What problems exist between the two?

Regards,
Matt KC5NOI

Ok. Maybe it's that the RT Systems software won't work with other cables but other software will work with their cables. I've never tried any other software with the RT Systems cables. I use a Wouxun cable and software to program my two Wouxuns and the Wouxun cable and Chirp to program my Baofeng.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I rec'd the cable, hooked it all up, had a problem writing to the radio...followed instructions on write value and changed to 17 and it all worked, memory groups and all. Before, all it would do was reset the radio to default values. Everything in perfect working order now, thanks for that tip!

KD8DVR

I've used RT systems cables on other software brands before with no issues. My guess, all it is is an FTDI-chipped cable. CHIRP and Factory software work fine with RT cables.. at least my numerous Wouxuns, Baofengs and IC-2200H.

I've used commander with my VX-7R and have had it skrag before, too. I think the write delay or port speed.. or something needed tweaked. Very temperamental radio. Worst I've had to deal with on programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.