VX-800 question concerning blinking red led

Status
Not open for further replies.

klown

Hello, I am looking for some feedback concerning a blinking red indicator led on top of the radio. I know it normally means a low battery, but in this case the battery has a full charge. I have actually tried it with two different batteries with the same result. Intially after charging the radio acts as normal (green led), but as soon as I transmit the red led on top starts blinking continually. I played around with the service software for this rig and I don't know if thats what caused it or if something else is defective. Thanks in advance

rescuecomm

How new are your batteries? If they are fairly new, it is possible that the charger is not bringing them to full charge. If you know someone that has a known good battery, try it and see. The quick red LED blinking usually indicates batteries with one or more shorted cells if they are nickel-metal hydride (NMH) or nicad. Overcharging will cause them to vent and short internally. This is usually what happens to our squad radio batteries that get charged every night but only used in receive mode about 4 hours.

Bob

DiGiTaLD

Agreed. Sounds to me like you have bad batteries. If its anything like the VX-180, you may also get a low battery indicator on the display when the LED on top is blinking red.

Status
Not open for further replies.