• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX3000 programming mode

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
All,
It's been quite some time since I have tried to program a vertex VX3000. I have the software and believe that I have the cable (could be wrong cable).

Is there a programming mode that I have to put the radio in before it will read?

Thanks

express315

I programmed VX-3000 a couple years ago.
I don't think there was a programming mode.
May be holding "A" button when powering on. Not many buttons to try in the worst case.
The display will show "CL" when reading or writing.
You need a serial cable and not a usb one.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I programmed VX-3000 a couple years ago.
I don't think there was a programming mode.
May be holding "A" button when powering on. Not many buttons to try in the worst case.
The display will show "CL" when reading or writing.
You need a serial cable and not a usb one.
yea, I don't remember it having a programming mode but wasnt 100% sure.

I hook up the serial cable to the old programming laptop and it looks like its reading but never does. It does not give me an error message or anything. I tried unplugging the cable and it gave me an error message then.

Im about to purchase a USB cable online as I cant find a serial one and purchase the software online and use my newer laptop in hopes that that will work.

express315

It's a DOS software, it was never ment to be used with usb.
I seriously doubt it will ever work. I wouldn't even try.
If it is a correct serial cable and Com port in the software selected the same as the one in the device manager it should just work.
Made in china Vertex RJ45 8-pin serial cables work just fine.
What software are you using?

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
It's a DOS software, it was never ment to be used with usb.
I seriously doubt it will ever work. I wouldn't even try.
If it is a correct serial cable and Com port in the software selected the same as the one in the device manager it should just work.
Made in china Vertex RJ45 8-pin serial cables work just fine.
What software are you using?
I'll check the vertex software for the version number.

Is it the same programming cable as the Motorola cdm?

Wonder if I have a bad cable.

express315

It may look the same but Motorola cables are different from Vertex. Many brands are using 8-pin modular connectors, but pinout is different.
My best guess you tried the wrong cable.
I will try to read my VX-3000 later today and see if any manipulations are needed.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
It may look the same but Motorola cables are different from Vertex. Many brands are using 8-pin modular connectors, but pinout is different.
My best guess you tried the wrong cable.
I will try to read my VX-3000 later today and see if any manipulations are needed.
Thanks.

I couldn't find a serial cable for vertex online but I'll look again