• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXD-720 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

er1ski

Hello! I've purchased a VXD-720 on ebay, then a programming cable for it. Tried the cable - fits perfectly, and windows device manager says "prolific" (also tried the chip check software and also confirmed the prolific okay!). Then I've purchased the software from vertexradiogroup.net - it's vertex standard clone editor suitable for vxd-720, v. 4.5 I believe. Now the problem: the clone editor doesn't recognize the prolific driver, and I red in its manual that it only works with "vertex radio" driver. But no matter what I try, I can't make this prolifc cable run as "vertex radio" driver, even with the 720 connected to it... What I am doing wrong here? I really don't want to trash this VXD, but without being able to program it's really useless... please help!

gman1971

The VXD-720, like the XPR6550 doesn't use a prolific cable. Sounds like you need to buy a new cable, CT-155 AFAIK.

G.

Last edited:

er1ski

aha, yes! and the cable should NOT have any chip at all -- just to have a simple usb connector at the end. Then the "vertex radio" as device being physically present INSIDE the radio will be discovered by windows correctly. I see now. Thanks!

one more question, please - given that the cable can be inserted in both ways into the Vertex, what shall be the correct placement? with the rest opf the cable hanging on top, or at the bottom (i.e. going down)? I mean after it's inserted and screws applied.

gman1971

That I don't know, but it probably doesn't matter which direction is inserted.

we1h

I came across this thread today... I have a "VXD-720 Programming Cable" from Ebay but it registers as a Prolific Cable in Windows 10. No matter what I do, I cannolt get the radio to be recognized by the Vertex CPS software... I've tried 3 different versions and still no go. Seems iot is the cable. However, the seller says it is compatable with the radio. Any thoughts on how I can use the cable or where I can get another correct cable? I just got the radio for the price of a new battery, but it is useless right now due to the cable issue. Any help would be appreciated.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I could be wrong, but I believe the first gen XPRs (which should include the 720) just use a straight USB to radio scheme, no chips. I actually homebrewed a programming cable for my XPR4550 years ago and to my surprise it worked.

I don't see why one couldn't try to source an old used VXD audio accessory, use the end and go straight to a USB plug. Of course the VXD pinout would be needed. I also don't know if an audio accessory would already have the needed pins present.

we1h

I bought this cable (USB Programming cable for Yaesu Vertex VXD-720 Radio | eBay) and the seller has positive feedback on that same item that it works FB. Is there a secret to getting the CPS SW (i've tried V4, 4.5, and 5.5 [USA Version]) to recognize it? The ".inf" file in "Program Files/Common Files/Vertex Standard/Drivers" is not recognized by Windows as a valid driver. Do I need a 32-bit machine maybe? This has me stumped (and I am not a tech-newbie by any means). I've programmed dozens of Vertex radios with EBay cables, and have prorammed a few non-Vertex DMR radios, and have always been successful. This is a new one to me.

er1ski

we1h, I bought it also - see my first post, yes, this is the one - from "dylan1028serena" (they changed the product link) and, yes, it did NOT work. I contacted them but they said "sorry, we can;t help you, we don't provide the software, we don't know, bla-bla...).
so, it's a waste. as I said - it should NOT have any chip inside, because the radio has one already.
with a good cable (that does not have any chip) windows immediately says that there;s a new device and it actually tells you what it is, i.e. "vertex radio driver", which then gets installed automatically since the CPS copied it to the PC when you installed it.
afterwards, I bought this one: 26.59US $ 5% OFF|USB Programming Cable Cord For Vertex Standard Two Way Radio VXD 720 VXD720 Walkie Talkie|Communications Parts| - AliExpress
works as a charm!

er1ski

Matt, I'd assume that an option would be to cut that cable ('cause sending it back to China would take too long, etc.) and connect it directly to the radio. I mean, by passing that Prolific chip. The only problem then is that you need the proper pinout connection/wiring diagram. I spent a lot of time searching it, but could not find it... This is why finally I just bought that Aliexpress stuff and problem was solved.

we1h

Thanks er1ski! I just ordered the cable from Aliexpress and l’ll initiate a return to the other seller… unlikely to succeed but I’ll try. I appreciate the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.