W6LVP Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I am planning on buying a W6LVP loop (the one with power inserter). The antenna will be used with an RC-8600 and/or an IC-7610 (when i get it). The antenna will be installed at a fixed location in my backyard. The antenna will be installed:

- 13 feet away from the house
-15 feet away from the power line going to the house
- The base of the antenna will be about 8 feet above the ground.
- About 50 feet of coax will be required to make it from the antenna to my operating position in the basement.
- I want to use a rotator

Based on that information, what would you suggest for coax and rotator ? i don't want to skimp on either but i don't want to GO overkill. Keep in mind that at my location winters can be pretty cold and snowy with the occasional freezing rain.

The antenna will be easily accessible to remove snow/ice from the antenna and rotator.

Thanks
VA2FCS

MDScanFan

I have W6LVP and mount it in a similar fashion. Coax type does not matter for this type of Rx only antenna that has the amplifier at the antenna itself. I use name brand RG6 with mine for a 100' run to the receiver. The coax was part of a larger spool and probably cost me ~$10 for a 100' portion. There is really no need to go with anything better or more expensive. I have swapped in LMR-400 as a test case and noted no difference in performance.

Likewise, with such a small and lightweight antenna the rotator does not need to be anything special. I use a RCA branded rotator for mine and it has worked fine for 5+ years. It is their lowest end model (assuming they have others, but I don't know) and the price was around $100.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would make sure you buy one with the T/R switch. That way the amp is protected if you transmit by mistake. Mike

prcguy

I have the W6LVP feeding an R8600 and I love it. I have the antenna on an old CDE AR22XL rotor which is extreme overkill. I think its a good idea to use an effective common mode choke right at the loop to decouple it from the feedline and this is one of the best I know of. CMC-130S-3K 1-30MHz

I parked my loop facing north east/south west from So Cal and have had no need to turn the loop for a long time. The pickup area is very broad on these but the nulls are really narrow and I don't need to null very often.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I have the W6LVP feeding an R8600 and I love it. I have the antenna on an old CDE AR22XL rotor which is extreme overkill. I think its a good idea to use an effective common mode choke right at the loop to decouple it from the feedline and this is one of the best I know of. CMC-130S-3K 1-30MHz

I parked my loop facing north east/south west from So Cal and have had no need to turn the loop for a long time. The pickup area is very broad on these but the nulls are really narrow and I don't need to null very often.

Thanks, i will try to find a source for the choke, your link points to a site that has it's web store closed until July 10th. As for the rotator i think this one would be ok

RCA RCAVH226F, Outdoor Antenna Rotator: Amazon.ca: Electronics

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I have one that I use in winter for Long- and Medium wave and use a simple RCA TV antenna rotator from Amazon. Loop is mounted at ground level with about 25 feet of RG-58. Nothing fancy with this setup but it works well. I take it down for the spring & summer due to high QRN, Good luck with your loop, you'll enjoy it.

N8FNR

I have one that I use in winter for Long- and Medium wave and use a simple RCA TV antenna rotator from Amazon. Loop is mounted at ground level with about 25 feet of RG-58. Nothing fancy with this setup but it works well. I take it down for the spring & summer due to high QRN, Good luck with your loop, you'll enjoy it.

Be sure and use some good coax sealer where the coax attaches. DX Engineering DXE-WK-2 DX Engineering Weatherproofing Kits | DX Engineering

This rotor would be fine. No need to spend a lot of money.

Last edited:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Be sure and use some good coax sealer where the coax attaches. DX Engineering DXE-WK-2 DX Engineering Weatherproofing Kits | DX Engineering

This rotor would be fine. No need to spend a lot of money.

Thanks for the info, i already have the Super 33 and Temflex 2155 for weatherproofing, i used it for my GP-3 installation. I will go with that rotator it looks more than enough.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Just wandering, since the loop won't be high above the ground and the mounting pole is non conductive do you still ground the feed linr at the entry point to the house ?

ridgescan

Hello all,

I am planning on buying a W6LVP loop (the one with power inserter). The antenna will be used with an RC-8600 and/or an IC-7610 (when i get it). The antenna will be installed at a fixed location in my backyard. The antenna will be installed:

- 13 feet away from the house
-15 feet away from the power line going to the house
- The base of the antenna will be about 8 feet above the ground.
- About 50 feet of coax will be required to make it from the antenna to my operating position in the basement.
- I want to use a rotator

Based on that information, what would you suggest for coax and rotator ? i don't want to skimp on either but i don't want to GO overkill. Keep in mind that at my location winters can be pretty cold and snowy with the occasional freezing rain.

The antenna will be easily accessible to remove snow/ice from the antenna and rotator.

Thanks
VA2FCS
I only use Times LMR240 coax for switch patches, both HF antennas (100' wire and Wellbrook ALA1530) and my D130J for the scanners.
I've had my old trusty Antennacraft TDP-2 rotator that I bought off Amazon back in 2014 for the Wellbrook and it's still running strong up there.
Take a look at Amazon and see if Antennacraft still makes these-I do know they discontinued my model a few years ago, but I think that brand makes good rotators that are very reliable.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Testing the loop & rotor inside the shack before moving it outdoors.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 32

ridgescan

May as well throw mine in here too.
Diamond D130j scanner antenna (left), Wellbrook ALA1530 shortwave loop antenna (right), and barely visible is the 100' endfed "lazy-L" wire shortwave antenna. All at 50'.
Very windy that day so the discone whip and the Wellbrook mast are bent north as I snapped this pic.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber

Sorry to revive an old thread but it took me some time to find the CMC-130S-3K 1-30MHz and i finally got it today. I've included a drawing on how i plan to link all the components. My question is how close to the antenna should i install the choke ?

Many thanks
VA2FCS

Attachments

• Loop install.png
    Loop install.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 34

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I finally installed the antenna yesterday and I was able to play with it a bit. Very impressive, a lot less noisy than the wire antenna and I'm glad to see that I can hear AM stations I did not picked up before with the wire antenna. I still have a lot of experimentation to do as I have not tried to move the antenna using the rotator and I have not tried the ham bands (except for FT8). At any rate, i would like to thank everyone for your help and suggestions. It took some time to get it up and running but it looks promising. With the loop, the wire antenna and the discone i should be able to enjoy my 8600 quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.