Washington Shortwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colonizemars

Hello,

I really want to listen to shortwave in the area. I have tried listening on a ten dollar shortwave radio but all I hear is static. Does anyone have any recommendations for listening to shortwave in the Seattle, WA area?

Thanks!

w2xq

Mentor
Take a look at the RR Wiki and SWLing.com - a world of shortwave radio reviews, news, articles, how-to guides and innovations for starters. You can expect to pay $100-200 for a decent portable radio; reviews are on the latter website.

You give no information on your environment--urban, suburban, rural--and the building type and construction--an apartment will undoubtedly be noisier than a standalone house--and whether a short wire antenna can be placed outside your abode.

Look at the two resources for the how-to, receiver reviews, and more. Take your time and do your research. HTH.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes please give a lot of details along the lines that my old friend Tom laid out for you. These will help quantify what you can use. A portable is a good and relatively inexpensive way to get started. You do have some challenges ahead of you - the Olympic range and the Cascades are not going to be your friends here. However the Pacific, Asia and both Koreas are on your virtual doorstep.

We have several links to reviews of various levels (anything in blue is a link) here...

Now to find like-minded folks in your general neck of the woods, look to your North to the DXer.ca website

(If you happen to run into a fellow by the name of Ian McFarland, tell him Mike Agner and Tom Sundstrom say hi. He will know our names.)

To get you started, read up on the preamble which has links to various things you will encounter in this side of the hobby...

And finally, and maybe the most important one, is this site that takes you through the basics of how radio signals get from there to here. Make sure your Flash player is turned on

That oughta be enough for now. Get something nice, tall and cold to drink and start reading.

Mike

Groeteschele

One more thing - would you like to tune around using online radios? Yep there's quite a list of them here...

The first 2 are specific to Perseus and Airspy Software Defined Radio owners, the others - well, go take a look...Mike

I like Websdr because they have squelch function to stop noise between transmission signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.