WE Energies Appleton area

Cellsite

Premium Subscriber
Looking for info on how WE Energies work crews communicate, specifically the electric crews. I have over 20 of their licensed frequencies programmed in, some of them duplicate programmed as CTCSS/DCS Search and as Digital Code Search, since some of their licenses show DMR. I very, very, seldom hear any traffic, although many of the frequencies have occasional CW ID's. On the gas channels, I hear on-call fitters patching in on their cell phones to dispatch, but no crew traffic. On the electric channels there may be traffic once a week, at most, which is usually things like, “I'm pulling in behind you to get the trailer,” or similar short bursts of traffic. Even when there are outages right in my neighborhood, their OTA channels are quiet.

Anyone here who works for WE Energies in Wisconsin who can shed some light on this?

About six or eight months ago, I did hear radio techs testing every channel I had programmed for analog NFM and with a DCS tone, but almost no traffic since, even though WE Energies has a large yard on the west side of Appleton.

hightime

I have been retired from WE Energies in the UP for 8 years now. When I left, there was very little licensed traffic on the radio. Most of the communication was done via CAD on the computer or phone. Back in 2016 there was and still is a DMR frequency 159.93 CC1, on the down low, that was used by crews to talked back and forth between each other. If you want to invest the time, you could search between 158Mhz and 160Mhz DMR in the Appleton area and see if they have that down there. If you do and find something let us know.

Cellsite

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply, and for the information, hightime. The frequency you mentioned is one I don't have for WE Energies. I will take your advice and do some searches between 158 and 160 MHz, especially when I know crews are in my area. I will definitely post anything I come up with.
Cheers