• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Weird XTL5000 problem

wyomingmedic

Okay, I have multiple xtl5000s that are subscribers on a phase 1 system.

Recently, multiple radio on both the VHF and 800mhz side are having a problem with being in fringe areas.

They will be locked onto a site when signal strength is decent and WHAT I BELIEVE IS HAPPENING is the AGC kicks in to decrease signal strength. But, since we're in a fringe area, the signal strength drops once we get off the hilltop. Then, the radio seems deaf and struggles to receive traffic. Give it a few minutes and I BELIEVE THE AGC CATCHES UP, receiver becomes decent again, and signals pick up.

These radios all previously worked perfectly and continue to work fine in dense RF areas with high signal strengths.

Because if the sudden change across multiple radios, I am assuming this might be part of a trunking system upgrade. I have no part in system info, so I have no idea if an upgrade occurred.

Does this sound like an AGC issue? Would turning off the AGC alleviate this you think? Am I totally on crack and this is a different issue all together?

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
When is the last time the problem radios were aligned? AGC is an audio parameter and has nothing to do with receive performance.

wgbecks

Recently, multiple radio on both the VHF and 800mhz side are having a problem with being in fringe areas.

They will be locked onto a site when signal strength is decent and WHAT I BELIEVE IS HAPPENING is the AGC kicks in to decrease signal strength. But, since we're in a fringe area, the signal strength drops once we get off the hilltop. Then, the radio seems deaf and struggles to receive traffic. Give it a few minutes and I BELIEVE THE AGC CATCHES UP, receiver becomes decent again, and signals pick up.

Does this sound like an AGC issue? Would turning off the AGC alleviate this you think? Am I totally on crack and this is a different issue all together?

There could be any number of reasons for the situation you’ve described that include individual radio alignment, antenna performance, or even the possibly issues with one or more of the RFSS covering those remote areas. However, I personally doubt this is a receiver AGC problem.

Instead, I would check the radios having weak signal coverage problems to to determine if any of them have “Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan” enabled. This feature seems novel but in many cases can be problematic, especially when operating in weak signal areas.

What can happen under these conditons is that the trunking logic fails to find a stronger control channel in the adjacent sites table and initiates scanning in search of a better signal (site) that can introduce a lap of sync with the system that gives the appearance of the radio having gone temporarily deaf, and is worth checking out.

wyomingmedic

Instead, I would check the radios having weak signal coverage problems to to determine if any of them have “Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan” enabled. This feature seems novel but in many cases can be problematic, especially when operating in weak signal areas.

What can happen under these conditons is that the trunking logic fails to find a stronger control channel in the adjacent sites table and initiates scanning in search of a better signal (site) that can introduce a lap of sync with the system that gives the appearance of the radio having gone temporarily deaf, and is worth checking out.

Interesting.. Yes, all radios have the full spectrum scan in place. I didn't cause problems in the past, but obviously something changed.

The fact that this is multiple radios suddenly developing the same problems, across bands, in areas they suddenly performed perfectly (and region wide. Not just with a site or two, but basically the whole state), I'm inclined to think something changed on the administration level.

But I will tinker with the full spectrum scan. That is an interesting point.

wgbecks

Interesting.. Yes, all radios have the full spectrum scan in place. I didn't cause problems in the past, but obviously something changed.

The fact that this is multiple radios suddenly developing the same problems, across bands, in areas they suddenly performed perfectly (and region wide. Not just with a site or two, but basically the whole state), I'm inclined to think something changed on the administration level.

Be sure to populate all active primary and secondary CC's into the Astro 25 Control Channel list for the areas (sites) traveled
before disabling Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan.

a417

This.

This is the thought process I like to see. And since it's reproducible on more than one unit, you can go to the appropriate contacts and say "...so what changed on your end...?"

wyomingmedic

Currently reaching out now. Not sure if I'll get an answer, but some folks are saying that they did a recent update to the GTR stuff from Quantar. Not sure if that's it, bit will dig a bit deeper.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Unless RF AGC is much different in the APX vs the XTS it wouldn’t take minutes for it to recover.

My guess from over 1.000 miles away is you switch to a distant site on the mountain top. When you’re back at ground level you can no longer see that site so you have to look for a good site. And since that site was distant it doesn’t have any local sites in it’s ACL so it takes a little longer.

I’d question if the ACL’s on sites were monkeyed with.

But that’s just my guess.

xmo

If they changed the base stations from Quntar to GTR, it is possible the outbound modulation format was changed from C4FM to LSM in which case, you could try changing your mobile receiver format.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
From a system level, it is possible something isn't correct with adjacent site tables. Basically if radio is affiliated to Site A, the radio will start looking for/move to other site # (Per control channel) if signal strength is 2 levels below other sites in adjacent site list. (If I recall correctly) But if those adjacent sites are not built correctly, radio will first look at your control channel list, and if it does find what it is looking for, it will revert to Full Spectrum Scan. (If box is checked).

An unrelated test. How do you know signal strength is less? Do you have a RSSI button? If so, use that as a reference.

Since Wyolink is primarily VHF trunked, I don't have a good feel on talk in/talk out coverage balance/performance vs 800 trunked.

hitechRadio

Get rid of full spectrum scan, unless the radios travel a wide area like an entire state, not needed.

Manual enter the the CC's needed, and order them top down. The CC scan starts from Top Down if it cannot find an Adj. Site. and the radio resorts using CC list. It can take awhile if your main site/s are at the very bottom of the list of a large CC Channel list.

Additionally check Adj. site list, or you can do it your self with SDR trunk. In addition make sure a specific TG is allowed at the adj. sites in your area that you require, which only a sys admin can change all of this.

If you set up you preferred site list, double check that also. It is in Trunking personality.

Also enable, under Display>General Enable All to display or display&alert (your preference),, ORI, SSI, ICI, STI and SRI. This is for trouble shooting for the most part.
I would also add RSSI to the menu on a Mobile or a button on a portable.

wyomingmedic

An unrelated test. How do you know signal strength is less? Do you have a RSSI button? If so, use that as a reference.
Yup, RSSI button is available, which is how I watch the received signal strength. Coupled with my general knowledge of how the sites cover, I can compare that to historical coverage patterns.

wyomingmedic

If they changed the base stations from Quntar to GTR, it is possible the outbound modulation format was changed from C4FM to LSM in which case, you could try changing your mobile receiver format.
Already at CQPSK, so I don't think it's a modulation issue.

RFI-EMI-GUY

For those of us not on the inside( example: NAS, ham use, etc ), why not? Genuinely curious.
Because while in theory it reduced off channel interference/blocking, it did not actually improve the receiver dynamic range or off channel rejection performance. The logic required to switch it in and out does not follow varying real world conditions of strong interferer(s) and having a weak desired signal. It made weak desired signals even weaker.

It perhaps fixed sporadic problems in the strong desired signal area but killed the fringe. It was at best a hastily concocted band aid for the NEXTEL problem which actually required eventual segregation (800 MHz transition plan) of the NEXTEL band by several MHz.