Were you once a HAM, quit activity, let your license expire and never looked back?

k6cpo

Yeah... females pretty much have it in for male hobbies. I keep purchases under wraps. Why fly into a thunderstorm? šŸ™„
Ham 'round here is a moot point... I can scan all area 2m/440 freqs and hear *nothing* for hours, but I'm rural.

My wife is no dummy and I've found it's a lot better in the long run if I'm up front about my hobby purchases, whether it's ham radio or other past hobbies. It has even paid off for me in the past. When I mentioned I could use another radio to monitor additional frequencies during ARES drills, she actually volunteered to pay for it, as long as I found a reasonably priced used radio.

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Licenced 2 yrs, still having fun.

Did the hobby no longer seem "cutting edge enough" for you? -- I'm into retro stuff, so all the digimodes stuff turns me off. Still exploring. Enjoying POTA. Trying to work satellites. Can see myself getting into kit building. Would love to buy a boatanchor.

Did it get too "commercial"? -- As in "hey, buy this new gadget" all the time? Yes, it's very much like that, expecially with respect to digimodes and digital voice. Am just not interested in that part of the hobby.

Did your favorite hang out or mode dry up and fade away? -- Not so much dry up as just not be there. A lot of people working digimodes. Can rarely find anyone on any band other than 40m and 20m. Never heard any voice on 10m or 6m. My fave mode is SSB, but I'd like to get into CW. Still working on Morse. Seems I get up to about 10 characters then it all falls apart and just sounds like a whole lot of beeping....!

Were there local politics that put a damper on your enthusiasm? -- Not really. My club is OK. Lots of old men, but I like old men, so that's all good.

Were too many of your buddies dying off? -- Ha! No, not yet, but I've only known them all 2 years.

Was it getting too expensive? -- Yes, that is slowing me down a bit.

Was the XYL an issue? -- Well, XYM in my case. No, he's cool with it. He sits in on my nets a lot of the time, just for fun. He enjoys it when they all go off topic and start talking about cars and stuff!

Was it due to lack of time? -- Recently retired, so time is something I now have a lot of!

Did the Internet play a part in leaving Amateur Radio? -- No, it's helping me learn a lot.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
My wife is no dummy and I've found it's a lot better in the long run if I'm up front about my hobby purchases, whether it's ham radio or other past hobbies. It has even paid off for me in the past. When I mentioned I could use another radio to monitor additional frequencies during ARES drills, she actually volunteered to pay for it, as long as I found a reasonably priced used radio.

Ha! Never happen! Nope, much better that I stay underground.

Licenced 2 yrs, still having fun....... VA3WEX....

You found your niche in this hobby, 3WEX........... I think it will be part of your DNA for a life time ;) !

Lauri

d61dfababa733dcc545081ff79872d8b.jpg

Xiphos007

I have not quite passed my 10 year mark, but still very interested today. Radio is just part of a larger communications umbrella that I do in both professional and hobby.

mbtins

Still actively scan. Didnā€™t last more than one year in the HAM hobby. The club was infighting and politics. There was zero discussion about tech topics and the nets were nothing more than rain gauge reports and old people talking about their health issues. If I want to be bored I can go to my job.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Still actively scan. Didnā€™t last more than one year in the HAM hobby. The club was infighting and politics. There was zero discussion about tech topics and the nets were nothing more than rain gauge reports and old people talking about their health issues. If I want to be bored I can go to my job.

A perfect Cliff's Notes version of many clubs. I went to one meeting and when they found out I was former LE, one guy hounded me about getting emergency lighting for his vehicle. The world does not need more whackers. I never returned.

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
A perfect Cliff's Notes version of many clubs. I went to one meeting and when they found out I was former LE, one guy hounded me about getting emergency lighting for his vehicle. The world does not need more whackers. I never returned.

Sounds familiar. I used to get hit up by hams wanting access to public safety systems I ran "In case of an emergency". Nothing I could say would get through to them. Never been back.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Sheesh... you guys dredge up the bottom of the ham barrel. I guess I've just been lucky as the VP of our club. We have people who when they hear / see stuff like that happening, they run to be an Officer and work to change it. But there are only a few that want to grab that bull by the horns. Have you ever seen the Amateur Radio Operators code? Originated in 1928 and it looks like this -
The Radio Amateur Isā€¦
CONSIDERATE - Never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.
LOYAL - Offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.
PROGRESSIVE - With knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and efficient station, and operation above reproach.
FRIENDLY - Slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the Radio Amateur spirit.
BALANCED - Radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.
PATRIOTIC - Station and skill always ready for service to country and community.
[The American Radio Relay League, Inc., Copyright 1997 ā€“ adapted from the original ā€œAmateurā€™s Codeā€, written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA, in 1928]
Yeah I know.... I'll go back to skipping down the garden path with Pollyanna.

BMDaug

I am licensedā€¦
Premium Subscriber
Ya, it isā€¦ but I want to emphasize to new hams especially, that this is NOT every club. I think people that are happy with their club, or with anything really, just donā€™t take the time to talk about it.

Luckily, Iā€™m blessed to be in the club Iā€™m in. Iā€™m by far the youngest, but we have a super well rounded group! We have a former admin of the state trunking network (with many other accomplishments), many members with towers, some that contest, guys that SOTA, a couple into ATV, some in search and rescue, others running our repeaterā€¦ itā€™s a blast to go to our weekly breakfast! No whackers and tons to talk about! Many have a long history in radio, some civilian and some military. Iā€™ve only lived in the area for about a year and itā€™s really reignited my interest in radio. This combined with the excellent linked repeater networks we have in Colorado has made radio a joy far beyond what ever imagined!

So, donā€™t give up because of a crappy club. Set an example for others and it will make a difference!!

-B

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
Sheesh... you guys dredge up the bottom of the ham barrel. I guess I've just been lucky as the VP of our club.

That's good. I think the time that I went to the few club meetings was a bad time in amateur radio. There were a lot of people that seemed to be there not for the hobby, but for trying to make themselves a fill-in for public safety. Too many people in yellow vests for me. Probably didn't help that the club meeting was held at the local volunteer fire station. I think that gave a few of them some bad ideasā€¦.
I get wanting to help, but there's more to being a helper than having a radio. Too many people with the 'single tool in the tool box' attitude.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
So, donā€™t give up because of a crappy club. Set an example for others and it will make a difference!!

There comes a point in the lives of many where they've given all they can and just want to enjoy their remaining time. I'm at that point.

There is a reason why revolutionaries are rarely pensioners.

BMDaug

I am licensedā€¦
Premium Subscriber
There comes a point in the lives of many where they've given all they can and just want to enjoy their remaining time. I'm at that point.

There is a reason why revolutionaries are rarely pensioners.
I totally get that! But hey, itā€™s also about your perspective! Right now, Iā€™m being encouraged by one of our members to put up a tower. Heā€™s got over 3000 confirmed DXCC band contacts and could definitely be at the same point you are, but heā€™s still pushing me to contest and get more into DXing.

When I got my license in Texas nearly 10 years ago, all there was was contesting. As a newbie, I just wasnā€™t comfortable with the etiquette to jump in and participate! It was so fast paced and that was the opposite of my operating style given my lack of experience. Newbies NEED elmersā€¦ sometimes youā€™re all we have! Even with the internet, thereā€™s no replacement for hands on, personal teaching.

Iā€™m not trying to call you out. Iā€™m just trying to explain that there are those of us youngsters that find your dedication to the hobby amazing and your assistance invaluable!

Kindest regards,
Brian

P.S. @mmckenna Ya, thereā€™s nobody more dangerous to public safety comms than CommTech with radio. Trying to help while putting lives at risk. Respect is first priority. If you think you can just buy a CCR and be a first responder, you donā€™t respect the job, or the people doing the job. We have plenty of hams here in SAR and encourage those already in SAR to get a ham license. I like that a lot because the barrier to entry to SAR is actually pretty high. First aid, CPR, FEMA classesā€¦ you have to do a lot more than spend $30 on Amazon!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
P.S. @mmckenna Ya, thereā€™s nobody more dangerous to public safety comms than CommTech with radio.

I'd narrow that down farther and say "misguided ham with a radio".

Most professional communications techs have enough experience to know better.
While I have radios at work that let me test/talk on several public safety systems, I know what my role is, and it isn't what some hams think.
Whenever I need to test a system, there are a number of things I do FIRST:
1. Make sure the dispatchers and the sergeant know that I'm going to be testing the system and make sure they are OK with it.
2. Make sure they have a way to reach me if they need me off the system.
3. Make sure they know when I'll be starting and stopping.
4. Monitor the system and make sure if the officers start talking, it's time for me to shut the #*%! up.

Even though I have the radios, I never use them to report and emergency. I use a phone for that because that's the way dispatch centers are designed to work. Call taker takes the call, enters it in CAD, hands it off to the dispatcher, dispatcher sends the resources. I'm astounded by the number of hams that will try to make excuses for bypassing the system, as if being a ham radio operator somehow puts them at the head of the line in an emergency. It does nothing but show a lack of understanding and a lack of respect for the professionals.

Trying to help while putting lives at risk. Respect is first priority. If you think you can just buy a CCR and be a first responder, you donā€™t respect the job, or the people doing the job. We have plenty of hams here in SAR and encourage those already in SAR to get a ham license. I like that a lot because the barrier to entry to SAR is actually pretty high. First aid, CPR, FEMA classesā€¦ you have to do a lot more than spend $30 on Amazon!

You said it. I'm troubled by the attitude that buying a radio suddenly makes someone a public safety professional. Whackerism at its finest.
While this has been around for quite a while, I put part of the blame on the ARRL with their stupid "when all else fails" crap. Showed they knew zero about public safety communication systems.

But I hate to take this off course. I'm just tired of the attitude some hams have towards this. Some groups encourage it. Doesn't matter if the FCC makes it abundantly clear, there are those that will think the rules never apply to them.

kinglou0

I get wanting to help, but there's more to being a helper than having a radio. Too many people with the 'single tool in the tool box' attitude.

And nearly every single one of them fail to remember that a healthy diet and cardio is the best way you can prep for an emergency, not an electric wheelchair festooned in dayglo yellow.

All the ā€œcommunications expertiseā€ doesnā€™t mean jack if someone is going to have to come rescue you because you have medical issues that canā€™t be managed without medication or outside of a hospital setting.

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
And nearly every single one of them fail to remember that a healthy diet and cardio is the best way you can prep for an emergency, not an electric wheelchair festooned in dayglo yellow.

All the ā€œcommunications expertiseā€ doesnā€™t mean jack if someone is going to have to come rescue you because you have medical issues that canā€™t be managed without medication or outside of a hospital setting.

There is that.
Like BMDaug was suggesting, having a useful skill on top of amateur radio operator is what makes the difference.

"Don't make the situation worse" should be first and foremost in the minds of those that want to help.

Don't get me wrong, amateur radio is a great hobby. HOBBY.

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
For whatever it's worth, I do think there is absolutely a role for amateur radio in a disaster.

It's not front lines, though. Public safety has a lot of tools available to them that will fill that need, and they don't need untrained people that might easily become a liability in the way.
"In the rear with the gear". Having a way to off load other backend networks is of value. Hams have traditionally done that pretty well with HF networks. Not sure a Baofeng is going to help much, but an HF radio able to link back out of the disaster area would. To be fair, however, most large EOC's already have HF capability. Recently the state I'm in released a lot of grant funds for smaller agencies to add HF capability to their EOC's. We were able to purchase 2 HF flypacks with encryption, ALE and slow speed data/file transfer capability.

Some ham clubs have set up mesh networks with strategically located cameras that have been useful in wildland fires, although locally most fire agencies already have their own. Ability to send larger files/photos/videos can be helpful, especially if cellular networks are unavailable.
I'd love to see the ARRL work more in the direction of higher bandwidth connections. It's something that's needed, and it's a good fit for older hams that shouldn't be on the front lines. Hams have a lot of allocations up in the GHz range that would be a great fit for this. Loosen up the FCC rules to allow better use of that bandwidth in an emergency would help. Properly trained/equipped/background checked hams could toss up point to point links a lot faster than commercial carriers could.

BMDaug

I am licensedā€¦
Premium Subscriber
@mmckenna wasn't ā€˜commtechā€™ the handle the ham that was just fined crazy money by the FCC was using to ā€˜informā€™ the fire ground crews about where to drop suppression? I was attempting a (bad) joke. Definitely not a dig on actual technicians!!

I totally agree with you about focusing on HOW hams can best assist. Video and data is HUGE for disasters and fires and youā€™re right, you donā€™t need to keep up with your annual physical to be a real help! Thatā€™s where there is room to grow for sure.

Iā€™m actually working out a plan for using DATV to get drone footage back to our IC during SAR missions. That way spotters could be on the ground and at IC and be equally helpful! Thereā€™s always a way to use our hobby for good while having fun and exploring a new aspect of the hobby!

-B

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When I got my license in Texas nearly 10 years ago, all there was was contesting. As a newbie, I just wasnā€™t comfortable with the etiquette to jump in and participate! It was so fast paced and that was the opposite of my operating style given my lack of experience.
That's where the state QSO parties fill a niche. It's like contesting, but usually more laid back.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm in a city of about 200K and the local club/members have all kinds of 2m, 70cm, 6m and 1.25m repeaters in the area but you can go hours and not hear anything. I guess it's no different than the rest of the country because, when I travel, I hear 99+% dead air there, too. I have a radio in the car but I seldom turn it on anymore locally simply because there's nothing to hear.