West Covina moving to Verdugo?

Firebuff51

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Verdugo made a really nice announcement on RED 1 a little after noon on Friday welcoming West Covina to Verdugo. Looks like their stations numbering is 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 and their BC is Battalion 12.
Thanks for the info. I haven't listened for a couple of weeks and just heard Verdugo calling RA 121. You saved me a forum post!

jeremyapps

I'm just wondering why they didn't go the same way La Verne did, especially when WC is right in the middle of LACoFD, and the rest of Verdugo is pretty far off.

Eng74

I'm just wondering why they didn't go the same way La Verne did, especially when WC is right in the middle of LACoFD, and the rest of Verdugo is pretty far off.
Probably got a better contract from Verdugo. They will still get help from LACoFD when requested, it will just be the time for Verdugo to contact LA which they do for other departments already.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Just like when Montebello and Vernon Fire moved from Downey FIRE Dispatch center and went to Verdugo Fire Dispatch.

Only Downey Compton and Santa Fe Springs are doing fire dispatch still at Downey Fire Station # 1 Fire Dispatch Center. Been there for decades now. They use to dispatch for Lynwood Fire too. Lynwood Fire use to only have two stations. Station 31 and 32. Then Lynwood Fire got absorded in LACOFD. Montebello Fire use to have its own UHF conventional repeater that Downey dispatched only for Montebello Fire on the 482mhz band and all of the rest of area C Fire departments were dispatching on 154.25 which then went to 154.205 VHF and then went to 482 UHF P25 conventional frequencies now. Pretty cool how I can remember the old days spending 4 years at that department back from 1989 thru 1993. Good old days. The medics use to carry that big Orange Med-com UHF box and talk to Downey Community Hospital. The box was so big and heavy and it had a real phone headset from back in the day and would communicate on the LACO UHF Medcomms in UHF conventional. Pretty sure they are still licensed to LACO agencies. I think most department use cell phones now or wireless tablets. Things have changed so much in the past 30 to 35 years now.

Thought I would share this little tid bit of information. Some old history. Downey PD and FIRE will never get absorded anywhere. The city officials will always want to keep their own Police Department and Fire Departments for the City. The Downey FIRE Department has tried for years to have the union get together with LACOFD and get Downey Fire absorded for over 30 years now and it will never happen. If it could happen it would of been a done decades ago. Alot of the Firefighters were begging 35 years ago to get a bid and get converted into LACOFD and then the Downey Fire guys would just become LACOFD employees. What would of happened is caused delayed responses because Downey Fire Department would of lost two stations as LACOFD would only provide service with two fire stations as part of taking over Downey Fire Department. They would of lost like Station 62 and LACOFD HollyDale station would cover that part of downey. Then I think Station 63 would of got cut and then covered by LACOFD Pico Rivera station. The city said we do not want this and as of 35 years ago to this day Downey still has their own Police Department and Fire Department.

Last edited:

jeremyapps

Just like when Montebello and Vernon Fire moved from Downey FIRE Dispatch center and went to Verdugo Fire Dispatch.

Only Downey Compton and Santa Fe Springs are doing fire dispatch still at Downey Fire Station # 1 Fire Dispatch Center. Been there for decades now. They use to dispatch for Lynwood Fire too. Lynwood Fire use to only have two stations. Station 31 and 32. Then Lynwood Fire got absorded in LACOFD. Montebello Fire use to have its own UHF conventional repeater that Downey dispatched only for Montebello Fire on the 482mhz band and all of the rest of area C Fire departments were dispatching on 154.25 which then went to 154.205 VHF and then went to 482 UHF P25 conventional frequencies now. Pretty cool how I can remember the old days spending 4 years at that department back from 1989 thru 1993. Good old days. The medics use to carry that big Orange Med-com UHF box and talk to Downey Community Hospital. The box was so big and heavy and it had a real phone headset from back in the day and would communicate on the LACO UHF Medcomms in UHF conventional. Pretty sure they are still licensed to LACO agencies. I think most department use cell phones now or wireless tablets. Things have changed so much in the past 30 to 35 years now.

Thought I would share this little tid bit of information. Some old history. Downey PD and FIRE will never get absorded anywhere. The city officials will always want to keep their own Police Department and Fire Departments for the City. The Downey FIRE Department has tried for years to have the union get together with LACOFD and get Downey Fire absorded for over 30 years now and it will never happen. If it could happen it would of been a done decades ago. Alot of the Firefighters were begging 35 years ago to get a bid and get converted into LACOFD and then the Downey Fire guys would just become LACOFD employees. What would of happened is caused delayed responses because Downey Fire Department would of lost two stations as LACOFD would only provide service with two fire stations as part of taking over Downey Fire Department. They would of lost like Station 62 and LACOFD HollyDale station would cover that part of downey. Then I think Station 63 would of got cut and then covered by LACOFD Pico Rivera station. The city said we do not want this and as of 35 years ago to this day Downey still has their own Police Department and Fire Department.
Very informative. Thanks for sharing

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Yes and I am attaching photos that I took when I visited the LACOFD museum in Bellflower a couple of years ago. This was the exact equipment used back in those years. Big old brick units. Enjoy. If you look closely John and Roy signed this equipment as this was used in the series on TV for Emergency 51

The radio comm pack that was used in Downey in the early 1990's was the white unit pack. So remember this to the day. They used the 463.000 UHF mhz Med Comm frequencies in direct mode. No repeater. Had to always make sure the radio was always charged and always carried an extra battery pack. These radio comm packs took alot of juice. You can see the input round prong connection was used for the EKG pack to transmit the EKG leeds to the hospital.

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 20

f40ph

Feed Provider
You know you're getting old when you used to do daily checks on (and actually use) things that are now in museums. The Moto APCOR and LifePak-5 (pics #3&4).
Thanks for sharing.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
You know you're getting old when you used to do daily checks on (and actually use) things that are now in museums. The Moto APCOR and LifePak-5 (pics #3&4).
Thanks for sharing.
If you ever get a chance to get up to Bellflower when they have the LACOFD museum open then I would go. Its worth it. You get to see all the gear and rigs and props used for the TV show Emergency 51. It was pretty cool for a Saturday afternoon visit one weekend. They have a restoration team that fixed all of the old equipment and ambulances and made everything look so friggin cool.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Thought you guys would enjoy some of these photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpg
    IMG_3564.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3565.jpg
    IMG_3565.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg