Western Digital Network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdamm

I purchased a My Book World Edition network storage drive and I have some questions about the backup software that comes with it. The software is WD Anywhere Backup and I am having trouble deciding exactly what to back up. Obviously I will specify that it backs up “my documents” and all of the stuff it recommends in the quick pick list but I have some data that is stored in the program folders and other areas within the C drive. I can go to the advanced settings and select “C” drive, but I get a notice that says it is not intended to back up the entire “C” drive. My problem is what exactly in the C drive needs to be backed up and what can be skipped (such as temp files and some or the entire windows file). I just want to be able to recover from a crash without a bunch of unneeded, duplicate or system files complicating the process or using the memory to back up a bunch of unnecessary files.

N0IU

Although it wouldn't be a total crisis, it would be a real PITA if I lost all my email. I make sure to export my email messages at least once a month. I use a 4gb flash drive for most of my backups. For stuff like digital pictures and videos, I burn those to a DVD because sooner or later, its not IF your hard drive will fail... its WHEN!

lgentle

Use Handy Backup and backup to my FTP server. I don't do a full copy of all my stuff.....just the important stuff like documents (which includes pictures, etc....) and service manuals. I actually have 3 copies of all my service manuals.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 2TB RAID5 arrays in a Windows 2008 R2 server with a share setup for backups. I backup the servers and my PC (wife had the option, but she needed to clean up her laptop first) to the share every Monday, Wednesday and Friday using O&O Drive Image. I also have 2 2TB drives in USB/eSATA cases that I keep in a fireproof safe. Every month I rotate out what 2TB drive I use to make a backup of everything critical off the arrays (pictures, backups images, documents, MP3s, files, ect including the backup software so if something does happen I can get the data off the image files and all other software I have). After the backup is done and I am replacing the drive back in the safe, I write the backup date and what I backed up on a slip in the Zip Lock bag I keep each drive in. I also store in the safe with the drives a USB cable and power cable for at least one since the cases are identical. If something bad happens, I can take the drives to any PC and have access to the data. Also thinking about something off site like the above mentioned FTP server.

I lost about 80GBs of data about 10 years ago. As soon as that happened, I have backed up my stuff in numerous ways and this is bay far the almost best way I have found without getting redundant SANs. :) I have not lost anything including email since then. It's really weird to read email from10 years ago.

Last edited:

shaft

Premium Subscriber
You just need to back up the stuff you cant recreate. If you save all your docs, music, video, or what ever in My Docs then your fine. I'd suggest, your scanner back ups, license keys etc be saved as well.

All your system files get recreated anyway when you reload your OS, so no sense in possibly corrupting your new install with a back up data you dont really need. Keep a running list of the apps you install, and if they are paid apps, you can back up the installer files.

Status
Not open for further replies.