• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Western NC GMRS/FRS Comms

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
The Tarheel Emergency net in the affected area is collecting donated radios. I am just demobed from EM western branch so no longer on the ground and limited to what I hear on their nets. Some sort of Ad Hoc request for radios and a delivery address but no details on what if any Comms Plan they have or even their exact mission. They mention ham HT's and GMRS radios specifically. Their are some very wide coverage GMRS repeaters in the area but I've heard they are a little bit deaf. They are worried about loosing people in the field and want to radio equip as many as possible. Without a mission plan and a comm plan (ics205) I am reluctant to get directly involved but that may change.

Now for questions:
-What are cheap but survivable GMRS HT's capable of repeater operation? I see BAOFENG GM-15 Pro GMRS Handheld Radio 8W Long Range Walkie Talkie on Amazon $40 for a PAIR of radios. Good news is C usb charging and pl tone. No personal experience whatsoever. My preference would be AA disposable since charging and or spare batteries could be a problem.

-Legal issues of getting new users on the air (especially repeaters) quickly. In emergency I know rules do get ignored.

-FRS could be used (simplex) but I'm thinking $40 a pair gmrs ($20 a radio) would be as cheap as any survivable FRS radios anyway. If you have recommendations for frs radios then bring it.

Sum up: Again without more info on mission (on foot, vehicles, team size, area to cover per team etc) or specific comm plan it could be a cluster...
If they get loads of diverse radios will they have cables, software and knowledge to program them?
If I was to be planning this I'd have groups of 2 man teams (5 to 10 teams per group) in simplex contact with group leader (on high ground), the group leaders with better gear reaching forward bases by repeater or direct (ham, gmrs, or PS) and forward bases will probably have phone, internet, or statewide trunk radios.

Any members on forum ever been involved with anything remotely like this? Love to hear your input. This is NOT my rodeo but just wanted to have an idea of what can be done and with what equipment.
google N2GE on Broadcastify to hear the Mt. Mitchell 145.190 ham repeater which is co ordinating volunteer efforts as best they can. If your listen for awhile you will get an idea of the challenges.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have been listening on and off since day 1 to the feeds. I heard them yesterday asking for radios. I'm with you. What is the plan. I know some were for Black Mountain SAR group, but in the end I would hope the SAR team already had gear. Ive yet to hear any real plans for comms on the net or posted any place. I'm sure public safety has a 205 for each operation at least I hope. I also dont understand what is really going on by listening as its hit or miss what they want and were they want people. Being I'm not on site I can't input my thoughts on it but it definately seems to be a cluster.

As for what would work, in that area I believe VHF is best option for simplex. UHF is more LOS so unless its talking to folks in the area vs yelling I'd be looking for VHF to give to folks. But 2M means licenses. GMRS is the same to be honest. For the collections centers and distribution centers on site comms should be easily handled with FRS radios.

Just my thoughts. I think everyone is trying to help but not really sure there is a true plan in place.