What can scan the clmrn?

Matt88ch

Hello all, back in the day I used to live in a different town where I bought a radio shack pro 2029 and was able to listen to the police dispatch frequency, my gfs dad at the time was a police officer so we would have the scanner on and listen in, now many years later, I live in a different town but still enjoy listening to police dispatch, I tried to look up the frequency for my local town but it says they operate on the CLMRN (Connecticut land mobile radio network). I've never heard of this before so read up about it slightly and am wondering what type of scanner can listen in on this network? Is it a scanner anyone can buy and listen in? Being old I prefer to be able to buy a scanner instead of using a website to listen to the broadcast, so any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced, I did try to search and could not find much info other then frequency info.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I did try to search and could not find much info other then frequency info.

All the information is on the top of the Radio Reference database page for the CLMRN, it is a P25 Phase 2 system, a list of scanners meeting this requirement can be found in the Radio Reference Wiki Page.

Please keep in mind that it is very difficult and time consuming to program P25 Phase 2 systems manually, and it is highly recommended you use programming software on your windows computer to accomplish the programming.

Finally, look through the list of talkgroups in the database, if it is marked TE it is full time encryption and no scanner can monitor the voice traffic, Te means it is part time encryption, meaning it may or may not be encrypted.

BinaryMode

Today's scanners are more complicated now then they ever were. Digital modulation that was pushed by APCO (?) and pals has made what you used to be familiar with in scanners known as analog mostly a thing of the past thanks to digital modulation now being used by a lot of public safety. This digital modulation commonly used (but not by all) by public safety is called P25. And once they go digital it's very easy to buy into that company's (Motorola) marketing and turn on encryption.

So having said that. If you know next to nothing about computer's and whatnot (as indicated by your not wanting to stream) you wanna find someone that can program a radio for you or get a location-based capable scanner like the Uniden Home Patrol's where you can simply enter a zip code and scan. In your case it have to be the HP-2 or another scanner capable of P25 phase II (Project-25) due to your area being P25 phase II. Not sure if the Whistler line of scanners has that zip code ability. But with location-based scanning then you probably have to fine tune that because it'll probably scan everything and anything with what ever zip code you use.

Since I'm very computer savvy, programing by computer or by hand is like riding a bike to me so it's no big deal and thus location-based scanning means nothing to me. My first ever digital capable scanner was back in 2004 with the Uniden BC296D and I hand programmed it! Took me quite a while. LOL In circa 2002 my area went digital. Thank God for NVRAM (Nonvolatile Random Access Memory) and whatnot... My old Radio Shack Pro-64 handheld with a massive 400 channels has volatile memory so if the batteries are removed *poof* all is gone. The trick is to keep it plugged into the wall when you exchange batteries. Ah, good times...

Here's the run down on an HP-2:

Here's a better price:

Do stay abreast of eBay though. Since this is a niche hobby the prices are always through the roof and to Mars. Same for amateur radio gear.

Last edited:

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Hi Matt,

When deciding between going down the hand-entered route vs. computer programming, take into consideration the size of the CLMRN system and the number of individual radios using it, here is a partial listing of what has been logged:

As far as P25 Phase 2 scanners, the BCD325P2/BCD996P2 and SDS-100/SDS-200 are good options if you are going to load/enter ID's manually.

If you are really hoping to just have a listing pulled for your area, location-based HomePatrol-2 BinaryMode suggested is probably your best bet.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Good to know....what are the drawbacks of the 325 and 996?
One major drawback, not only with CLMRN but on most simulcast systems depending on where the listener is relative to two or more transmitting towers is an issue well documented here on the forums known to cause a headache for non-SDSx00 users...

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
As far as P25 Phase 2 scanners, the BCD325P2/BCD996P2 and SDS-100/SDS-200 are good options if you are going to load/enter ID's manually.
I know a number of people and entities that have had serious issues with the 996P2 and CLMRN. I couldn't get six to work for my Town's Fire Companies. All bought in a lot together, so same production time, they would not work in any of the four stations, nor my house, nor my truck.

We went to the SDS-200 and instantly we could hear everything.

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you can find original (or perhaps pre supply chain issue) 996P2, they were better than the current run. However, you still may miss a decent percentage of calls.
My experience with the 325/996P2 radios and CLMRN is that the Phase 2 affected the reception more than the simulcast. In reality, it is probably a combination of both that really does it in.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
If you can find original (or perhaps pre supply chain issue) 996P2, they were better than the current run. However, you still may miss a decent percentage of calls.
My experience with the 325/996P2 radios and CLMRN is that the Phase 2 affected the reception more than the simulcast. In reality, it is probably a combination of both that really does it in.

My 3+ year old 996P2 works just fine on CLMRN. The newer ones are deaf.

BinaryMode

I thought perhaps seeing that the system there mentioned simulcast would be an issue, but looking at the frequencies I see many are different.

Our Humble Wiki said:
Simulcast refers to the process of transmitting the same signal from different tower locations over the same frequency at the same time.

So in my non-educated opinion, if anyone is having issues it's the H-DQPSK of Phase II.

BinaryMode

Did some research. LOL Found out only eight, count them (8) frequencies were duplicates. And mapping those out they're about 80 miles from one another. The 700MHz frequency is used for the emergency response vehicle (ERV).

Isn't funny how the government decides what to call their systems? I mean, CLMRN?! Lobsters and Oysters and Clams: A Short History of Seafood in Connecticut - Connecticut History | a CTHumanities Project

851.4375c
852.650c
853.200c
853.3375c

cg

Premium Subscriber
If they say simulcast in the database, they are. The RR listing does not include all the individual site locations in each Simulcast cell.
Troop D & G share some common channels as they are the most separation you can get in our small state. Some of the single sites can reuse channels as they are usually in an area that does not hear the local simulcast sites.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought perhaps seeing that the system there mentioned simulcast would be an issue, but looking at the frequencies I see many are different.

So in my non-educated opinion, if anyone is having issues it's the H-DQPSK of Phase II.
I don't think you understand how trunking simulcast works. It has nothing to do with "duplicate frequencies" across the entire system, but rather how many subsites (physical transmitters sites) make up a single simulcast cell.

The CLMRN system is comprised of multiple simulcast cells (along with a few standalone (ASR) sites), there's really no mystery to it.

stormycat

Feed Provider
I just have to jump in for a second and share my experience. I have a BCD996P2 that it will only work if your next to a site. If you are moving, forget it. It will not work. I got my self a SDS100 thinking it would be better but in my experience out in TroopK land it did not improve by much. I got rid of that and got a Unacation pager. And that is a night and day difference. I can listen to everything anywhere on this system. If you really want to scan CLMRN while moving/traveling I have to highly suggest not getting a scanner and go get Unacation or commercial radio set up to non affiliate scan

Matt88ch

Well I can say these digital scanners sure are more expensive then what I remember...the days of buying a radio shack scanner for less then 100$ are clearly a thing of the past. The cheapest of the bunch o found would be the hp2, but if people say I can miss alot of the broadcast I'm wondering if I should just stick to streaming. I found an app for my phone called broadcastify and when I go to "listen to channels in your area" I see Norwich police and all the state troop k, and others in the area, now I'm wondering if those channels pick up most of the police chatter in the area as there is non stop talk(which is good)..is it really that easy just to stream? As much as I would like to have a nice scanner it's hard to justify spending 500$+ right off the back, especially if the streaming picks up a lot of what is going on...are there other ways of streaming in my area in Connecticut? Also thank you all for taking the time to respond and giving recommendations, it means a lot to me and good to know there are people who still like to listen in on what's going on, and a nice community of people ready to help!

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
@Matt88ch
Yes it is that easy to stream.
Using Broadcastify, you can navigate just like radio reference if you were to look up in the database to find frequencies. You go to browse, USA, state, then county.
There could be multiple streams for an area. So you might find a stream or two that fit your listening needs better.

BinaryMode

I don't think you understand how trunking simulcast works. It has nothing to do with "duplicate frequencies" across the entire system, but rather how many subsites (physical transmitters sites) make up a single simulcast cell.

The CLMRN system is comprised of multiple simulcast cells (along with a few standalone (ASR) sites), there's really no mystery to it.

It's my understanding that the definition of a "simulcast system" varies. It's also my understanding that the main reason as to why simulcast systems can be such a dog with a scanner is due to the same frequency used by more that one tower in the area. Which I believe that link I shared in my above post addresses. Have a read.

I understand the other definition of what a simulcast system may be however...