What Did Santa Bring You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What does a holiday have to do with anything?
I'm bad all year round, and buy whatever I want anytime! :twisted:

n9zas

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Bears hoodie, flannel jammie pants, socks :\ . . . and all the parts required to build a photo / video storage / processing server for the house (mobo, i3 processor, 8GB ram, video card, DVD writer, 250 GB drive for OS & software, 2x 1TB drives for RAID 1 storage, 750W modular power supply, Win 7/64 Pro). :D

A chocolate bar and a ceramic shooting gallery thingy to put under the Christmas tree. No radio stuff. Not one thing radio. :(

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Well, no radio equip from my family, but on the 22nd, I did receive a BC296D w/ card. Like everyone else "What did you buy now?" Except for the battery life in the radio, It is awesome! I have put it right next to my 996t on an in attic antenna and the 296 received while the 996 kept scanning. I put it next to my 396XT, using the same antenna, and the 296 received while the 396 kept breaking up and dropping out.

I'm keeping the 296D!

prcguy

I love Elecraft, they are probably the most innovative amateur radio company on the market today, I have a K3 with most accessories (the K Line) and a KX3 plus competing radios from TenTec. I've also used many of the latest model high end radios from Icom and Yaesu.

Elecraft's ingenuity and execution of the DSP code and radio features are far above TenTec and any other radio on the market that I know of. They keep improving the radio and come up with new features that are available via free download and its like getting a new radio several times a year. Plus I'm happy to give my money to a US company and reward them for their efforts rather than send my money off shore.
prcguy

How do you like Elecraft? I've been looking for some adventure and there's nothing in the mainstream rigs that strikes my fancy.

I love Elecraft, they are probably the most innovative amateur radio company on the market today, I have a K3 with most accessories (the K Line) and a KX3 plus competing radios from TenTec. I've also used many of the latest model high end radios from Icom and Yaesu.

Elecraft's ingenuity and execution of the DSP code and radio features are far above TenTec and any other radio on the market that I know of. They keep improving the radio and come up with new features that are available via free download and its like getting a new radio several times a year. Plus I'm happy to give my money to a US company and reward them for their efforts rather than send my money off shore.
prcguy
Funny you mention TenTec. I bought two things from them. Now, I admit, these were low-end items, but I expected more. The first was a regenerative radio kit that I built with my son when he was small. I had the same when I was his age, except I built a Radio Shack Globe Patrol regen receiver. The packaging as clunky figuring they had their own machine shop and could do anything they wanted. The band switching was a pushbutton thing that would bring up a couple of LEDs at a time intermittently. The other thing I built was their 6 meter mobile radio kit. It was a neat idea, but the coding was just bad and the thing was only designed to do 5 W out, which even with a ball and spring antenna was very limited. I really, really wanted to like a US company, but it won't be TenTec. After those experiences in their low end products, I'm afraid of what I'd get if I dropped enough money for one of their high end products. I know people who love their stuff for full break-in CW, though. But I haven't been big into CW since I was 17.

For what it's worth, my friend loves his Elecraft stuff and QST reviews speak very highly of their products. I'm going to have to do some serious looking. I agree with you about feeding our American technology sector before I look at comparable foreign materials.

Thank you!

Blackink

I musta been good this year!

I found a BCT15X Scanner under the tree with a USB cable, and a "key card" for a Premium Subscription to RR.
I am a complete newbie to the scanner world so I was busy the few weeks before Christmas learning as much as I could about the how's and what's and oh no's on scanner operations and programming.
I was successful with getting the scanner operating on one of the pre-programmed states -Vermont, installing the drivers for the USB cable, and setting up my first Conventional System for Washington County via FreeScan using RR's database and getting it operational on my scanner.
There are minor things I need to figure out and understand better, but for what time I've been listening to this in the last 3 days, I love it!
I enjoy learning about the frequencies, how they are set up, what makes them tick and why.
A very exciting hobby to learn and listen to and grow with.
I also enjoy reading the posts here on the RR Forum and I've absorbed quite a bit of good info from them.
I just think it's a wonderful site happening here and I'm glad I found RR.

Steve in Washington County, Vermont

Status
Not open for further replies.