What happened to LAPD Tac 1 154.830?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock00

154.830 was rebroadcasting the "hotshot" calls.
With the recent fires the channel went dead.
The transmitter is on Mt Lee (Hollywood Sign) so I'm not sure what is going on.
Any Ideas?

karldotcom

Well, I dont remember any fires hitting Mt Lee....something probably failed and they didnt want to spend money to replace it.

spock00

Mick you are right but they were also rebroadcasting the same traffic (code 3 alerts) on the non-digital (analog) 154.830.
484.7125 did rebroadcast traffic that wasn't on 154.830 such as air comms.

484.7125 is on Mt Lukens
484.350 is on Oat Mt
484.400 is in the South part of LA
484.925 may be in West LA (Coastal area)
Basically simulcasting to cover the whole city

Last edited:

Mick

Yep, that's correct. It's on these frqs. now.

spock00 said:
Mick you are right but they were also rebroadcasting that same traffic on the non-digital (analog) 154.830. 484.7125 does have some traffic that wasn't rebroadcast on 154.830

484.7125 is on Mt Lukens
484.350 is on Oat Mt
484.400 is in the South part of LA
Basically simulcasting to cover the whole city

K6PCW

Premium Subscriber
LAPD Tac-1 outage explained...

Earlier today, I spoke to one of our SMOs (System Maintenance Operator) at Communications Division's Metropolitan Dispatch Center (MDC) about the apparent Tac-1 outage on Mount Lee. He was unaware of any problem with VHF Tac-1 (154.83), but added that they don't routinely monitor that freq at MDC.

He alerted the technician up at the Mount Lee Monitor (above the Hollywood sign), who was also unaware of the outage. He checked and advised that he was hearing noise and would troubleshoot the circuit.

It could be microwave link problems, antenna feedline problems, transmitter problems, switch or circuitry problems, etc. He stated that this was the first that he had heard of the outage, and that nobody had filed a B.O. (bad order) ticket with them. (Draw your own conclusions about organizational ignorance.)

Tac-1 continues to be utilized, among various other reasons, to satisfy those in the community, including the media, who were critical of the department's move to digital, labeling it as a means to conceal operations from the taxpaying public. All-units broadcasts are multi-casted on appropriate area, bureau and citywide channels, including Tac-1.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
The_B_Chief said:
There is a lot of history behind Tac-1 isn't there? Was it not one of the first frequencies used when LA went from one -way radio to two-way radio?
There's a fair amount of history behind Tac 1, but it doesn't go back quite that far. LAPD started using one-way radio in 1931, and began regular use of two-way in 1938, with the mobiles transmitting on five frequencies in the VHF low band, 35.10, 35.22, 37.22, 37.78, and 39.38 mHz. They received the dispatchers on 1712 kHz (changed to 1730 kHz about 1940). Everything was AM.

In 1947 and 1948 they got their first nine VHF-High frequencies, including 154.83, which were FM from the get-go, but many cars continued to use the low-band AM transmitters into the mid 1950s. Old-timer radio techs from the 50s, the few that are still around, tell about the hodge-podge of radios and combinations they had to maintain during that decade: Older cars had 6-volt systems, but newer models had 12-volts, some radios transmitted on low-band AM, while others had high-band FM, and while most cars had 1730 mHz receivers, the 158 & 159 mHz FM dispatch frequencies were starting to go online as well.

Anyway, at some point in the 50s, 154.83 "Frequency 9" became a car-to-car detective and "crowd control" frequency, but its use was restricted to command officers and some selected detective units for surveillance and stuff like that. Chief Parker (1950-1966) was adamantly opposed to patrol officers being able to communicate with each other without going through the RTOs (RadioTelephone Operators) at Communications Division. As his successor, Tom Reddin related it to me years later, "Old Parker was scared to death he'd lose control of his men if he let them talk to each other on the radio." Even the communications nightmares that complicated the handling of the 1965 Watts riots didn't sway him.

Parker died the following year, though, and in 1967 Chief Reddin (who had previously been the commander of Technical Services Bureau) ordered installation of 4-channel radios in patrol cars, with two semi-duplex dispatch frequency pairs, and two simplex tactical frequencies, 154.83 (Tac 1 / Freq 9) and 154.77 (Tac 2 / Freq 6). It took several years for all the cars to get them. In general, Tac 1 was reserved for detectives and Tac 2 for patrol, but there were plenty of exceptions to that.

As far as broadcasting the "hotshot" calls on a tac frequency, that didn't begin until about 1972 or 1973, and was mainly for the benefit of the air units, so they could receive the calls on a single frequency no matter where over the city they were flying. At first they used Tac 2, though, since it was the "patrol" tac frequency. Unfortunately Tac 2, 154.77, was immediately adjacent to the Van Nuys Div mobile freq 20, 154.785, one of the 15-kHz-split frequencies LAPD had received about 1968. Even with PL protection, very often the hotshot broadcasts would blast into the Van Nuys RTOs' ears with tremendous bursts of static. This went on for many months despite the complaints from Valley Communications - not only was it literally hurting the operators' ears, but whenever downtown communications was transmitting, the Van Nuys units couldn't be heard by their dispatcher. Finally they moved the hotshots to Tac 1, but sure enough, within a couple months Van Nuys got a "new" frequency, 155.07, freq 8. It was the same mobile frequency used by Harbor Div cars, but receiver location and PL tones kept interference to a minimum. The UHF ROVER frequencies were to come along in just a couple years anyway.

Last edited:

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Mr. Marnell

I forgot about the low band frequencies. Thanks.

My late grandmother helped encourage my interest in communications. She used to tell me stories of being able to tune in the LAPD on 1730 kHz when conditions were good. We lived in Pittsburgh Pa. I think she said she could even hear the riots in the 60’s? Is that possible (time period)? When did they stop using 1730?

I apologize if this is not the right place for this but I’m absolutely fascinated with the radio history.

Did LAFD use anything similar to that of the PD? I remember hearing what we thought was LAFD on low band (skip) when I was a kid.

Also do you know of any other cities in the US that used one-way radios or shortwave frequencies?

I’ve often wondered what Pittsburgh used in the early days of radio. Pittsburgh was a bustling town pack full of technology before the bottom fell out in the 70’s. I have been unsuccessful in finding any info prior to the sixties. I wouldn’t expect you to know either just figured I’d ask.

Thanks

The B Chief

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Is it back up? I have no way of monitoring VHF but am curious.
No, it's not, and from the people I've talked to I get the feeling that it probably won't be. It began as a technical problem at Mt Lee, and was put on the ITA's "things to do" list, but it obviously wasn't near the top.

The main reason for having Tac 1 as a citywide "hotshot/hailing" frequency ever since the mid-70s was for the Air and K9 units, so they could hear all hot calls without having to constantly change frequencies everywhere they went. That issue disappeared with the introduction of the UHF "Air/K9/Hailing" frequency, 484.7125 in 1998. And there are few, if any, agencies left that rely on 154.83 any more. At least not enough that have rattled LAPD's cage to get it fired up again. The FBI's KMA250 Bank Robbery dispatcher and squads used to be on there to talk with Robbery-Homicide Div., but that's long ago been replaced by some other means of communication.

For people living toward the northwest, such as Santa Clarita and parts of Ventura County, you may have better reception of "Air/K9" by listening to it on 484.350. I haven't listened to it enough to figure out if that freq is patched to 484.7125 or if it's just a multicast by Communications Division. If it's patched, you'll hear the air units themselves on there; if it's just a multicast, you won't. If someone can check that out I'd be interested.

484.400 also transmits the Air/K9 calls from somewhere in the south end, maybe San Pedro Hill, but again I don't know if it's a true patch or just a multicast.

karldotcom

Interesting, but my scanner was stopping on 154.830 over the holidays picking up something breaking the squelch. It certainly isnt up simulcasting calls, but there was some type of activity (or interference nearby)

spock00

No, it's not, and from the people I've talked to I get the feeling that it probably won't be. It began as a technical problem at Mt Lee, and was put on the ITA's "things to do" list, but it obviously wasn't near the top.

The main reason for having Tac 1 as a citywide "hotshot/hailing" frequency ever since the mid-70s was for the Air and K9 units, so they could hear all hot calls without having to constantly change frequencies everywhere they went. That issue disappeared with the introduction of the UHF "Air/K9/Hailing" frequency, 484.7125 in 1998. And there are few, if any, agencies left that rely on 154.83 any more. At least not enough that have rattled LAPD's cage to get it fired up again. The FBI's KMA250 Bank Robbery dispatcher and squads used to be on there to talk with Robbery-Homicide Div., but that's long ago been replaced by some other means of communication.

For people living toward the northwest, such as Santa Clarita and parts of Ventura County, you may have better reception of "Air/K9" by listening to it on 484.350. I haven't listened to it enough to figure out if that freq is patched to 484.7125 or if it's just a multicast by Communications Division. If it's patched, you'll hear the air units themselves on there; if it's just a multicast, you won't. If someone can check that out I'd be interested.

484.400 also transmits the Air/K9 calls from somewhere in the south end, maybe San Pedro Hill, but again I don't know if it's a true patch or just a multicast.

I think all three 484.350, 484.400 & 484.925 are multicast and not true patches. In my monitoring experiences I've noticed the air units only on 484.7125 and not the others... Too bad that they're not fixing 154.830 but all good things come to an end :)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, but my scanner was stopping on 154.830 over the holidays picking up something breaking the squelch. It certainly isnt up simulcasting calls, but there was some type of activity (or interference nearby)
Along with some of the other old VHF frequencies, 154.83 is still licensed for 5,596 mobiles (that peculiar number goes back at least to the early 1970s) and may well be used by the super-sleuth types or other units as they go about their business in and outside the city.

The City Info Technology Agency specifically intends to keep 154.83 and 154.77 - and the "historic" KMA367 callsign :) - for the foreseeable future, according to one of the people whose names appear on many of L.A.'s FCC license applications, but doesn't want to be quoted by name. That person also noted that unlike any of LAPD's other frequencies, you'd have to go hundreds of miles away to find another licensee on them. Not a coincidence, apparently.

I think all three 484.350, 484.400 & 484.925 are multicast and not true patches. In my monitoring experiences I've noticed the air units only on 484.7125 and not the others... Too bad that they're not fixing 154.830 but all good things come to an end :)
Great, thanks for that. Any idea what part of town the 484.925 might be mainly used in? Like 484.400, it has licenses for both the far north and far south parts of the city.

Mick

I've always wondered if Carlsbad Parks & Recreation on their WQGZ226 license for 154.77 and 154.830 uses any ctcss on them? Maybe your scanner was hearing them if you have a straight shot to them over the ocean from your location.

spock00

Along with some of the other old VHF frequencies, 154.83 is still licensed for 5,596 mobiles (that peculiar number goes back at least to the early 1970s) and may well be used by the super-sleuth types or other units as they go about their business in and outside the city.

The City Info Technology Agency specifically intends to keep 154.83 and 154.77 - and the "historic" KMA367 callsign :) - for the foreseeable future, according to one of the people whose names appear on many of L.A.'s FCC license applications, but doesn't want to be quoted by name. That person also noted that unlike any of LAPD's other frequencies, you'd have to go hundreds of miles away to find another licensee on them. Not a coincidence, apparently.

Great, thanks for that. Any idea what part of town the 484.925 might be mainly used in? Like 484.400, it has licenses for both the far north and far south parts of the city.

484.925 is used near West LA if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.