What happened to LAPD Tac 1 154.830?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I've always wondered if Carlsbad Parks & Recreation on their WQGZ226 license for 154.77 and 154.830 uses any ctcss on them? Maybe your scanner was hearing them if you have a straight shot to them over the ocean from your location.
Hadn't seen that one before, Mick, and the guy's offhanded comment to me about "nobody else for a couple hundred miles" was before this license was issued. My question to him at the time was mainly about the KMA367 callsign, lest my website become obsolete and thrown onto the trash heap of history!

Looking at WQGZ226, nothing in radio is impossible or totally predictable, but making it to L.A. with 5-watt mobiles would be a pretty good trip, even on VHF high with ducting. But we did used to occasionally receive San Diego PD mobiles on a couple of LAPD's mobile frequencies when conditions were just right. I'd get them on Central Division (155.37) and I think Southwest (154.65).

Running off topic a bit, but a good example of the fact that many "communications center" people aren't necessarily radio-savvy, one evening the SD units were becoming a bit of a problem on Central, so my Link Officer got on the air to try to tell the SD units that they were interfering. Like that would help. But the good part was that he was transmitting on LAPD's downlink freq for Central, 159.15, but the SDPD units were no doubt paired up with some other downlink freq so they'd never hear him anyway. I tried to explain that to him, to absolutely no avail. :)

karldotcom

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I sure did, Karl, and it looks like that change applied to ALL their remaining 60+ year old VHF- high frequencies
  • 154.77 - old F6 / Tac-2 (Base/mobile)
  • 154.83 - old F9 / Tac-1 (Base/mobile)
  • 155.01 - old F7 / West LA (mobile)
  • 155.07 - old F8 / Harbor (mobile) (also VNys, Fthl & "citywide" mobiles at times too)
  • 155.37 - old F4 / Central (mobile)
  • 155.52 - old F17 / 77th Street (mobile)
  • 155.58 - old F19 / NHwd (mobile pre-1974); Base/mobile simplex Dispatch 1974-1981

Another modification shows the 1950s-1970 Receiving Hospital Ambulance ("G" units) frequency is still alive and now narrowbanded but still with its original frequency, 155.28 and callsign, KFG564, though it's now one of the HEAR frequencies. The best part of that one is that the license is still showing a base station at old Central Receiving Hospital location, 1401 W 6th St, which closed to the public and gave up its ambulances and their dispatching to LAFD 40 years ago :)

00043736.jpg

Receiving Hospital System Nurse/Dispatchers June Sekiguchi and Carole Eckerd, 1966

One more note is that LAPD's venerable KDG872 has gotten narrowband added for their VHF-HIGH frequencies - Fire White, and LACoFD's three old dispatch frequencies.

Maybe you can contact the new coordinator and get some info?
I suspect that all these modifications are simply to prepare for the 1/1/2013 mandate, rather than indicating any major changes in the works - but you never know. I don't know any of their Frequency Contact guys anymore either. The last one I knew was Kamton Joe, whose name was (and still is) listed on tons of the city's licenses, but unfortunately after having moved up over the years from a Programmer to a lofty spot in the City ITA, he left a few years ago for another city department's IT section. He did, however, assure me in an April 2007 email that both LAPD and ITA people were well aware of the significance of "KMA367," and that they indend on "keeping the historic KMA367 call sign active. Its expiration date is 6/26/2015, and it will be renewed in plenty of time."

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Interesting that as part of the FCC updates they also refreshed for some of the old LAFD 33Mhz low band frequencies also!

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that as part of the FCC updates they also refreshed for some of the old LAFD 33Mhz low band frequencies also!
Yeah, I've "watched" them hold on to those for years; but being out of the area haven't been able to listen in to see if they get any use at all.

Someone is obviously plowing through everything that's subject to narrowbanding and not-very-carefully culling out the stuff that's out of date, moved, or whatever. Besides the old Receiving Hospital Ambulances freq I mentioned last week, on this week's list is a FX1 Control Station for 458.875 at 1335 Georgia Street. That was the uplink for what was previously used by Organized Crime Intelligence Div and Anti-Terrorist Division (ex-Public Disorder Intelligence, which was disbanded in 1983).

Now, Georgia Street Station was a patrol division for only a few years, from 1927-36, http://tinyurl.com/Georgia-St-Div-1927
then used by a variety of other outfits such as the Receiving Hospital, Juvenile Division, Metro, and apparently one of the Intelligence Divs for a while. However the building - and even that entire block of Georgia Street - was wiped clear off the map in 1988, and would now be deep within the bowels of the huge LA Convention Center parking structure at the s/w corner of Pico & Figueroa.

I suppose it's better to have a license for something you aren't using, than to be using something you aren't licensed for.

Attachments

• Georgia Street 1980-2005.jpg
    Georgia Street 1980-2005.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
The last time I checked, the 33 MHz channels were being used in selected parts of the City in low power applications.

Don

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I see in one of the above ULS licenses they have 33.09 licensed at 2 watts....?
Do you mean 39.06 on ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0004898819 - LOS ANGELES, CITY OF - Frequency Summary ?

A couple of us were discussing that offlist a while back, and our consensus was pretty much that it is (or was) a surveillance-type frequency, such as body wires or "bumper-beepers." The latter might not be likely since the only emission on the license is 20K0F3E, analog voice.

39.06 has been restricted by the FCC to 2-watts maximum since June 1, 1956, except that licensees holding a valid authorization for higher power as of that date have been allowed to keep it. That includes LASD, who's allowed 300 watts on some temporary bases, Detroit PD has 5 watts, State of Maryland, and a few others.
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/47cfr90.20.pdf page 266 footnote (14).

Last edited:

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Does LAPD or LAFD currently even have any equipment capable of operating on 39.06?

Your wealth of knowledge is astounding.

Yes, LAFD has equipment capable of operating on 39.06. However, I know of no reason why they would when they have (and use) the 33 MHz channels they are licensed for.

Don

KJ6HCB

Yes, LAFD has equipment capable of operating on 39.06. However, I know of no reason why they would when they have (and use) the 33 MHz channels they are licensed for.

Don

In the RR database I see LAFD on an 800Mhz system, with no 33 or 39 listed - so you are saying that they currentely use 33 Mhz freqs/equipment in addition to the 800?

SCPD

QRT

Don

In some jurisdictions low band frequencies have been retained as point to point disaster frequencies. The use of them would be in case VHF High, UHF, or 700/800 systems fail in a large disaster. For example if the entire electrical grid shut down a very large and significant disaster and the backup power (typically powered by propane generators or diesel in some cases) fails after running out of fuel. Low band radios are maintained at dispatch centers and stations. I presume the plan is that information is passed along to the various stations and officers/firefighters/EMTs are then verbally sent to incidents. The likely scenario would be a plus 8 earthquake in southern California. Of course these low band radios also need backup power but are presumably easier to maintain than remote sites in such a disaster.

I'm not sure if this is done anymore. It has been more than ten years since I retired and was able to have access to emergency and comm plans. In the mid 80's there was a resurgence of jurisdictions installing HF equipment for the same reasons. When I worked on the Bridgeport Ranger District of the Toiyabe National Forest in the eastern Sierra from 1981-1988, a new comm system was installed. It used a microwave backbone instead of the old UHF backbone. This microwave system also had phone circuits allowing us to bring up a Reno dial tone without using the phone company circuits, which in this case required the conversation to travel south to the Mojave area, over Tehachapi Pass, up the Central Valley, over Donner Pass and into Reno. There is not a direct link north out of Bridgeport. However, this microwave backbone relied on three mountaintop sites to make this possible. As a result HF stations were installed in the Toiyabe's dispatch center in Minden, the Western Great Basin Geographical Area Coordination Center and the regional office in Ogden. The radios looked like military equipment, with all sorts of dials and other complexities I've not seen before or since.

Caltrans has a similar HF setup to link all the district offices with each other and their HQ in Sacramento. Note that Cal Fire has a fire chief's net on low band. I believe it includes mobile installations in a limited number of vehicles as well. I don't have any idea of how and when it is used or why it was built.

In some old frequency lists for the city of L.A. I used to have a low band system such as I described was shown as "city management disaster net." I think I remember some mentioning in the 90's that it was tested once per week or once per month.

Some states have retained parts of their old low band systems to link cities and towns with dispatch centers and the capital cities.

Now that I have explained all of this I have to say I have no idea if this is the case in the city of L.A. If the licenses include division stations and some fire stations (perhaps those with division and battalion chiefs) then this type of disaster net is possible.

It is interesting that even with satellite phones becoming more commonplace these HF systems are still maintained. The phrase "if all else fails ham radio still gets through" or some such is really a statement about HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.