What I learned from the Antenna Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta_p

Without it and Tonsoffun's help this project would not be.

I need suggestions where to put this mast in the backyard though. My radio room is on the front side of the house. I'd like to mount it close to the house but also want it far enough for room for HF antenna's as I am studying for my General now. The tree up by the house is about 36 feet off the house. It ends up being about a 150 ft run or so from there.

Other than whatever HF wire antenna I build, They'll be an Elk 2m/70cm and Wilson 800Mhz for scanning on a rotor.

PP

Attachments

• mast_support.JPG
    mast_support.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 172
  • byard1.JPG
    byard1.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 160
  • byard2.JPG
    byard2.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi Paul,

That looks great and can't wait to see it up! I would put it near the house then you have all the room in the world to put sprawl your wire antennas from the coax entry point on your house.

What a Beautiful back yard you have!

Maybe someone else can chime in here with some ideas.
Again, great job on the tilt over.

delta_p

Thanks Ron,
I was thinking about using the pole to also suspend a 20meter inverted V wire I wanted to build with the base arms and apex attached to the pole. For that I thought about staking out the mast near the tree toward the house. However that's a long run of cable. If I put it next to the house the wind will be mostly blocked and cable run about 30-50 ft shorter, but I don't see room for the V. I also thought about a wire antenna from the pole by the house to the tree in very back of the yard. Oh, well I'll decide on something even if it takes a flip of the coin and some green backs.

I am wondering what other's preference is on long runs of cable. Better to run as minimum single runs of cable from antenna to the radio given surge protectors etc else in the run? Or, break up into 50 ft or convinient run lengths so that section of cable can be replaced easier?

Paul

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am wondering what other's preference is on long runs of cable. Better to run as minimum single runs of cable from antenna to the radio given surge protectors etc else in the run? Or, break up into 50 ft or convinient run lengths so that section of cable can be replaced easier?

Every connection is signal loss, even at HF frequencies. I would just deal with the break when/if you get one. Running the coax in PVC is helpful in protecting the coax, depending on where it is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.