what is dcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

redandblue

I have a Uniden BC296D. I mainly monitor 800 mhz systems. I have found that I can set the DCS or CTCSS Squelch mode, but I don't have a clue as to which one to set it on. Does it come from the radio system that I listen to or how can I find out what to set it on. Also looking for a rubber duck antenna that will bring in the weaker signals better. I have a tuned antenna to the frequencies common in my area, as well as a radio shack 800mhz antenna. I can pick up in some areas of the house better than others, but looking for one that may do better if there is such a thing. Thanks for all help in advance.

Mick

Dcs

Will your scanner "search" for tones? You could do that for a particular frq. to know which is used. Or use the RR database to look it up.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
It comes from the radio system you are listening to. As Mick said, you can find a lot of it from the RR database. You can also use tone search. As to the antenna, it's hard to say what will work for you unless we know something about your listening area and what bands you want to listen to.

Gary

redandblue

Thanks I just found that some tones are listed in the database. I do have a stupid ? though. Does Analog 800 and Digital 800 use the CTCSS and DCS tones? As far as the antenna I listen to Thomasville, High Point, and Kernersville all in North Carolina. Thomasville and High Point are still operating on Analog and Kernersville is operating on Digital.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
redandblue said:
What I'm trying to ask is, does CTCSS and DCS even apply in Trunked Systems?
No. CTCSS (often referred to as a "PL" tone) and DCS (a digital code that serves the same purpose) are not used on trunked systems. Not used on conventional (non-trunked) digital channels either.

Status
Not open for further replies.