What is this?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Hi i have been searching all around trying to figure out what this device is but i can't really get a clear answer. do any of you guys know what this is and what someone would use it for compared to a RTL-SDR dongle. Thanks Link

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hi i have been searching all around trying to figure out what this device is but i can't really get a clear answer. do any of you guys know what this is and what someone would use it for compared to a RTL-SDR dongle. Thanks Link
I think its development is at a dead end.

Blackswan73

Yeah i have been reading about it i just can't figure out if it basically does what a rtl-sdr does or if it's meant for something different.
It’s definitely different. It does not need a computer to operate. It is a standalone scanner with excellent simulcast reception

B.S.

n0esc

Feed Provider
It’s definitely different. It does not need a computer to operate. It is a standalone scanner with excellent simulcast reception

B.S.
I would clarify that it does need a computer to set up initially, but once programmed, it operates all on it's own. It has no way to program from the device itself.

@AngWay I would say a good analogy for these is it is like an RTL-SDR with all the useless bits stripped out, an excellent receive filter added on, strapped to its own Raspberry Pi, running custom software with nothing useless included so that with a couple of footnotes and caveats it does most of the best parts of a traditional scanner and sdr all in one and the developer / engineer that designed these went to great lengths to extract the most performance out of his design.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I would clarify that it does need a computer to set up initially, but once programmed, it operates all on it's own. It has no way to program from the device itself.

@AngWay I would say a good analogy for these is it is like an RTL-SDR with all the useless bits stripped out, an excellent receive filter added on, strapped to its own Raspberry Pi, running custom software with nothing useless included so that with a couple of footnotes and caveats it does most of the best parts of a traditional scanner and sdr all in one and the developer / engineer that designed these went to great lengths to extract the most performance out of his design.
Ohhh ok . thanks for explaining that i understand now.