What portable scanner can I use to pick up Franklin Co/Columbus public service?

c_gutta

Premium Subscriber
I got into radio scanning years ago and was deep into it for several years when I managed Radio Shacks. I purchased a digital trunking Uniden scanner about 5 years ago but was not able to really hear any public service. I know there has probably been some updates to OH MARCS and scanner technology since then. I am wondering is there a scanner that I could purchase that will monitor Franklin County and Columbus public service channels? I live in Hilliard and also wondering if I get a Uniden SDS100, what public service can I monitor?

I have been a member here for a while and even subbed to the database back in the day and now I am ready to get back into the hobby.

Thanks in advance for your help and for being kind.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The SDS100 is your best best. All of the local sites (Columbus City and Columbus MARCS on MARCS, and Dublin etc on COIRS) are all simulcast sites, and the SDS series are the only ones really capable of properly monitoring them. With an SDS you should be able to monitor anything you wish as long as it's not encrypted.

c_gutta

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 is your best best. All of the local sites (Columbus City and Columbus MARCS on MARCS, and Dublin etc on COIRS) are all simulcast sites, and the SDS series are the only ones really capable of properly monitoring them. With an SDS you should be able to monitor anything you wish as long as it's not encrypted.
Do I need NXDN, ProVoice or DMR upgrades for this area?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Do I need NXDN, ProVoice or DMR upgrades for this area?

Definitely not ProVoice; that's unique to EDACS and there are none left around here.

If you're into monitoring businesses then DMR and/or NXDN might be worthwhile, but if public safety is your thing, don't waste your money.