What scanner for Ohio MARCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
In most areas of the state where stand-alone tower sites are in use, the following will work just fine:

GRE: PSR-500, PSR-600
Radio Shack: Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-668
Uniden: BC296D, BC796D, BCD396 (any version), BCD996 (any version), BCD436HP, BCD536HP, HomePatrol, HomePatrol II
Whistler: WS1040, WS1065, WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX1, TRX2

However, in areas where simulcast sites are in use (noted in the database) the Uniden SDS-xxx scanners or the Unication G4 or G5 pagers are almost necessary. They cost more, but the other scanners do not perform well with simulcast unless you're really, really lucky.

The same is true for Belmont County, Delaware County, Lucas County and Mahoning County; they run simulcast systems although they're not part of MARCS.

I live just outside Franklin County and use an SDS-200 for monitoring Franklin County, but a Pro-197 and BCD996XT work just fine for the adjacent counties.

If you're in Wheelersburg you should be fine with one of the less expensive models; all the sites down there are stand-alone.

Nasby

In most areas of the state where stand-alone tower sites are in use, the following will work just fine:

GRE: PSR-500, PSR-600
Radio Shack: Pro-106, Pro-197, Pro-668
Uniden: BC296D, BC796D, BCD396 (any version), BCD996 (any version), BCD436HP, BCD536HP, HomePatrol, HomePatrol II
Whistler: WS1040, WS1065, WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX1, TRX2

However, in areas where simulcast sites are in use (noted in the database) the Uniden SDS-xxx scanners or the Unication G4 or G5 pagers are almost necessary. They cost more, but the other scanners do not perform well with simulcast unless you're really, really lucky.

The same is true for Belmont County, Delaware County, Lucas County and Mahoning County; they run simulcast systems although they're not part of MARCS.

I live just outside Franklin County and use an SDS-200 for monitoring Franklin County, but a Pro-197 and BCD996XT work just fine for the adjacent counties.

If you're in Wheelersburg you should be fine with one of the less expensive models; all the sites down there are stand-alone.

Great response!

I get sick of seeing standard response recommendations for the SDS models when often, one of the less expensive models will work (sometimes better) for MARCS.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Or, if you are planning on listening in your house, you could use an SDR dongle (I use the airspy) and SDRTrunk software.

KB8RQH

Premium Subscriber
Been using a Pro-197 in my truck (center console) for few years, have stubby antenna.
I know, limited coverage, but only want local.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Does it let you program every site?
You can or you can use wildcards, but on P25 you kind of have to get a feel of who affiliates with what site, if you are listening to a Cincinnati talk group usually those are on the Cincinnati and Hamilton Sites and you lock on to say the Warren County site you will miss transmissions, you cant select a site manually, it will pick up whatever you have programmed automatically, and it won't scan a site like a normal scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.