What to buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvlp

I'm new to this whole thing and am interested in purchasing a handheld scanner (most likely a bearcat) I think it would be worth while to invest in a device that supports trunking. I live in southwest ontario, does anyone have suggestions?
thanks in advance.
d.

mciupa

Hi dvlp,welcome to RadioReference :)

If you are considering listening to the OPP, then a digital scanner would be required.

Your model options are:

Uniden
BCD396XT
BCD996XT

GRE
PSR500
PSR600

RadioShack
Pro-106
Pro-197

these are the latest offerings, there are previous generations that will get OPP as well.

Two retailers in Ontario are Radioworld : Amateur & Ham Radio GPS Chartplotters Fishfinders VHF Marine SSB radios Shortwave Radio Scanners CB GMRS Toronto Ontario Canada and Durham Radio Sales and Service Canada

SuperTex

Absolutely. Save your nickels and buy a Digital. If you just buy a analog trunktracker you will miss out on quite a bit... for instance you will only get half of the Provincial Fleetnet radio system. I have older analog trunktrackers to supplement my digitals (for Fire and Ambulance monitoring), but if you want to hear Police, I pretty well guarantee you will need digital... If you can monitor them at all. Some are encrypted or use technology like TRBO or Provoice that can't be picked up by scanners.

Welcome to this very addictive hobby :)

SuperTex

Well you can investigate the different models in the Wiki on this site. When you are talking about digital models you can save a little by going with older models, you're probably looking at a difference of $200 - 300 between an older model like a 785D (with card), 796D etc... and a brand new digital in the box... Or a newer "used" model. You can get a used 996t for about $500. The 996xt is $495 US plus tax and shipping. I got mine for $650 CDN from another member on this site. The newer models can be controlled by computer (with programming) and this makes it much easier to program your unit.

I have said on several occasions on this site that I like both the 996xt (Uniden's latest digital model) and the PSR-600 (Grecom) but for different reasons. I like the 996xt for trunked P25 (digital) and I like the 600 for conventional (one channel, non trunking) P25.

So again you have to figure out what you want to listen to, what radio systems are in your region and then go from there. Keep an eye on the classifieds here on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.